Thread: Good place to just shoot near Palmer

Default Good place to just shoot near Palmer

I am looking for a place to shoot legally near Palmer where I can have a short walk in with my dog and maybe set up a tent for the night. The Knik River Public use area is always full of ATVs and lots of drunk stray rounds flying around. Nice area but far from peaceful with very little solitude. I went up Moose Creek to shoot and camp but there was a sign asking people not to shoot as there are alot of horse riders in the area and I want to respect not only the law but the people in the area. There has to be public areas around Palmer where it would not be a problem. Any input would be great. Thanks

Default Sorry, "civilization" has come to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I am looking for a place to shoot legally near Palmer where I can have a short walk in with my dog and maybe set up a tent for the night. The Knik River Public use area is always full of ATVs and lots of drunk stray rounds flying around. Nice area but far from peaceful with very little solitude. I went up Moose Creek to shoot and camp but there was a sign asking people not to shoot as there are alot of horse riders in the area and I want to respect not only the law but the people in the area. There has to be public areas around Palmer where it would not be a problem. Any input would be great. Thanks
    Stormy,

Sorry, "civilization" has come to Alaska. As you have seen, stray rounds, too many people and too few safe fields of fire and backstops.

Check me on the laws (I will try to dig around and get back to the thread, too), but it has been illegal to just shoot on public lands (unless you are hunting), so you are limited to public ranges or private lands with the permission of the owner.

Used to be, enforcement was lax as long as safety was observed and shooters cleaned up after themselves, but that happy state of affiars went awy about a dozen years ago.

Forum members more conversant with the law can amend my comments, bt I think we are pretty much limited to established ranges, of which there are several north of Anchorage.

Check this web site. It is a registry of ranges across the nation. (site maintained my the NRA, your membership at work)

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=AK

Lost Sheep.

there is a range on knik river road 100 yrd if that is close enough ?

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Default Knik River

Thanks for the info. I have talked to a couple of guys who have used the range on Knik River Road. The owner is also a gunsmith which might come in handy. I do have a 300 Rem Ultra Mag that would be nice to shoot over 100 yrds but I guess for now I will have to look for a range. Thanks

I think a few of the people who used these unofficial ranges, trash and garbage, bottle shooting, never cleaning up, not owning the bullet until it hits the berm and stops, ....we did it to our selves.

Even the organized ranges have some people..., ever see the trash people leave down range at Birchwood? Dumpsters are on site too!