Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bear bait barrel

Default bear bait barrel

I was looking at some pictures of bait sites and saw that some had their barrels standing and some lying and the holes were in different locations.

I wish I knew how to do a pole but this is the best I can do.

When using a bait barrel do you have it lying down or standing up and where do you put the hole (top, bottom, middle, end) and what size hole do you like use and of course the most important question why do you use the setup you use.

I stand mine up chained to a tree so it can't move and the hole is 6 inches from the bottom and is 5x6. Why, because the bait is always pushing down and available (I was not sure if the bears could reach the bait with the holes at the top) and I was concerned about rain getting on the bait. Either that or I read it somewhere.

I look forward to your answers, as I am always looking for a better mouse trap.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i use a steal drum standing up... my hole is large enough for them to poke their heads in... that way they don't see me stand up and ready my bow or rifle.

i use it up right to get good reference on height of the bear. when his withers are over the top he is MY shooter.... the kids get the Little ones LOL.... they also have a harder time smashing it in the upright position.

i wont ever go back to a Polly drum... they just tear it up. for guys that have to carry one in, it may be the lightest but i carry it on an ATV. i also use the clamp on lids... it makes filling easier and faster. less chance of a ground encounter.

my bait would last longer if i had a smaller hole... but as i see it if they have a good meal they will come back for more.. i have yet to see one eat an entire bag of food in one sitting.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I run mine this way with zero problems:

Of course, I have it chained to the tree. The barrel in the picture has seen two seasons of heavy use with lots of bears, mainly browns.

I've used poly barrels up until this year. They were always smashed by the brownies. This year I'm going to try an aluminum beer keg. Last year I had a 5" hole and the brownies kept getting the bait. I'm using a 4" this year. I watched a blond brownie eat 40lbs of dog food and 15 loaves of bread in one setting last year, twice. I'm going to try and keep them out this year. I have to walk everything in a mile and a half.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plastic barrel on the side with hole in the end.

Not all poly barrels are created equal! Some are more skookum.

Default Beer Keg!

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    I've used poly barrels up until this year. They were always smashed by the brownies. This year I'm going to try an aluminum beer keg. Last year I had a 5" hole and the brownies kept getting the bait. I'm using a 4" this year. I watched a blond brownie eat 40lbs of dog food and 15 loaves of bread in one setting last year, twice. I'm going to try and keep them out this year. I have to walk everything in a mile and a half.
    I went to a beer keg last year and it was great, brown bears cannot smash them. Found mine pounded into the ground a foot (must have been out of food) and didn't have a single dent on it. I used a 4 in hole in the end and they would shake it around to get the food out. I still haven't found it yet though I had a very large Brownie dig up the tree I had it chained to and packed my keg off, will look for it in the spring when there aren't any leaves on the trees. This year I will chain it to a BIGGER tree!

Default Plastic

Plastic drum wedged between two trees about 2' off the floor. Basicaly it is just a gravity fed feeder. I use heavy duty cargo straps to secure it, made the lides out of 1&3/4 plywod & have yet to see a bear break it down. Have some cool video of them trying to pop it. Metal drums look like crushed beer cans. Have yet to try a beer keg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Plastic barrel on the side with hole in the end.

Not all poly barrels are created equal! Some are more skookum.
    +1 Couldn't be closer to the truth right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Plastic drum wedged between two trees about 2' off the floor. Basicaly it is just a gravity fed feeder. I use heavy duty cargo straps to secure it, made the lides out of 1&3/4 plywod & have yet to see a bear break it down. Have some cool video of them trying to pop it. Metal drums look like crushed beer cans. Have yet to try a beer keg.
    Justin

Is the hole underneath or on the side at the bottom and how big is the hole.

Default Feeder

If you don't have to haul them on your backs an old water heater makes a good feeder. Remove the outer insulation and use the water tank as a feeder; It's much heavier gauge steel than a barrel and is free at the transfer stations. Just cut a small door in one end and the use master blaster hinges and a large hasp to hold it on. The other needs a 4"-6" hole in it . If you use a gas one you'll need to remove the exhaust pipe in the center.
    Haven't had one smashed yet; AND THEY'VE TRIED.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Barrel

This works pretty good: Chain the top through the lid & hole in side then add 3" ratchet strap to hold it against the tree( yeah 1" isnt enough?) the put 4"x6" hole in the bottom so they have to dig out the food(keeps them from eating all @ once) Then put a log in the hole to keep out rodent's,birds,etc.. Also you can tell they have been there if you don't have a cam.Goodluck Reilly..Oh yeah find a place where there are no Grizz or browns

Reilly, is it just me or is that 1st pic a really nice bear?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

That's a nice bear.

Default Bear

Yeah a very nice Grizz: I have my stand up @ about 10ft & he came in one night & cought my scent and stood up under my stand and he was about 12"-18"below my feet.. Good thing they can't reach above there head?

The hole is even w/ the bottom & I cut out a piece of the side. I would say 5" high by 7" across ruffly. I use eye bolts w/ heavy duty washers then even pieces of 2x4 on inside & out for even more support & strength. 4 total, 2 @ the top & 2 @ the bottom. Lid construction to complex to describe, but it has lasted 6-7 years. It is clawed & chewed up on the sides but still holds fast. I plug the hole up w/ spruce bows when I start then I just start loading it up. I even climb up on top & back it down w/ my feet & keep adding bait to it.

Default Poly Drums

I like using the poly drums. The blue one in the post is quite obnoxious for photos. A couple cans of spray paint and they blend right in.

I never use grease, too messy. Fish and Game folks tell me that a large
    percentage of bait stations inspected after the season get cited for not
    cleaning up properly. Let's all try to leave the bait station free from debris, trash, and unsightly mess. Best to take out a load each time you visit the station. Makes better pictures also!

Is your date/timestamp correct? Is that a legal baiting season where you are?

Matt, (in Wasilla?) See question above

Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    Is your date/timestamp correct? Is that a legal baiting season where you are?
    No, the date isn't correct. It was a new digital camera (last year) and I didn't play with the time settings correctly. That was my second year bear baiting. Third try this year and I love it. Very addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    I've used poly barrels up until this year. They were always smashed by the brownies. This year I'm going to try an aluminum beer keg.
    If you are looking for indestructable try a propane cylinder!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast