Thread: 02 Polaris XCSP 600 track slip?

Default 02 Polaris XCSP 600 track slip?

I need some advice. On hard throttle, going through powder and even when braking hard, I get a loud, hard clicking/banging noise. It does fine if you feather the throttle and take it super easy, but any decent throttle it makes this noise. First thing I checked was my chain, it was a little loose, but the machine is no better after this adjustment. I tried tightening the track, but it's pretty tight, almost all of the way to the end of the bolts. The "cogs" on the track seem to be alright, but I don't know if there is a tolerance or not. The only other thing I can think of is that the cogs and drive unit are slipping. It's NOT the belt, I put a brand new belt on, and the area stays dry in there. I know what a slipping belt feels like, and this is not the issue.
    If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

You can e-mail me at if you prefer.

have you blown a belt lately. I had a similar problem on intial takeoff. I cleaned out the primary, there was a piece or two of a blown belt inside the primary, a good cleaning fixed the problem.

No, haven't blown any belts. Although, it has been a while since I cleaned the drives. What did you do, just take it all apart, clean it and re-assemble?

If it's doing it while braking, I don't think it's either the primary or secondary, almost has to be either the track slipping or the chain, and I'm about 99% sure it's not the chain. I have the track as tight as it will get, and still slipping, I wonder if the track is just so stretched out, it needs replaced... Maybe time to go to the 136"...

Check your track tension. It sounds like your drivers are "ratcheting", a common result of a loose track.

You need to elevate the machine. Raise the front end and prop up (a 2x8 across jack stands works for this) Then jack the rear of the sled up so the track is level with the ground. Hang a 10 lb weight from the center of the track and check sag. Assuming your XC has a 121 or 136 inch track your sag should no more than about an inch. (Check your owners manual to be sure)

Adjust track tension with the adjustment bolts behind the rear bogies.

If your track is tight check your drivers. You may have broken driver lugs. Not common but possible.

Thanks for all the information! I finally got to taking it apart, and it was the speedo side bearing, completely gone! Fortunately, minimal damage to the hull, so a new drive, new bearing, the bushings and I'll be back in business. I think the speedo chuck that drives the speedo cable broke and just tore the bearing up.