Thread: Trapping Bait in Eagle River

Exclamation Trapping Bait in Eagle River

It may already be accounted for, but if anyone wants a road killed moose for trapping bait, call the state troopers right away. I went to help a friend salvage a moose about an hour ago, but when we got there it was obvious that the moose was too damaged and decomposed for human consumption. He was on the trapping bait list a couple of years ago, but thought this call was for charity salvage. The troppers thought he wanted bait, hence the mix up. When we left they still didn't have someone lined up to come get it. The moose is located right behind Chugiak High School, so if you're close by and want to see if you can get it for bait, give the troopers a call ASAP!

Hope this doesn't end up in one of the ODD BBQ's.

Brian,

The moose has to be "dispatched" out to people on the list. It can't just be given out unless a permit is obtained first. I don't want to see any one getting into trouble thinking they can just go salvage this moose. You have to be on the trappers list (or the troopers personal list if he keeps one) and you have to have a valid permit for that particular moose.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Hope this doesn't end up in one of the ODD BBQ's.
    WHAT You don't like moose meat?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    WHAT You don't like moose meat?
    Maybe a little 'pickie' about the condition.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Maybe a little 'pickie' about the condition.
    Nuthin' a little salt/pepper wouldn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Nuthin' a little salt/pepper wouldn't fix.
    And hold your nose.

Soaked in vinegar, it takes out the "gut" taste.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by AKHuntTrap View Post
    Brian,

The moose has to be "dispatched" out to people on the list. It can't just be given out unless a permit is obtained first. I don't want to see any one getting into trouble thinking they can just go salvage this moose. You have to be on the trappers list (or the troopers personal list if he keeps one) and you have to have a valid permit for that particular moose.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps I was a bit unclear in my initial posting. I know that one must go through the proper channels, hence the reason I suggested calling the troopers. At the time we were there, they couldn't find someone who wanted to come take it. Perhaps they would have been willing to process the necessary permit quickly to move the moose.

You were correct Brian, all you need is the troopers to give you permission to take it, you need the permit though only before you use it for bait. In the past I have been called many times for moose kills, their attitude was get er of the road right of way now, and get the permit anytime before you put it out for bait.

Trappermike,

but you MUST be on the trappers list to take possession of that moose before hand. The few moose we have taken we have needed to have permit in hand but then again, they were not in the road way.

I'll second trappermike. I have been called numerous times and most of the time the troopers are not there when we got there. we have never had to have a permit to pick up a moose but EXACT location is needed to use as trapping bait and I think must be posted at the sites.
    Last edited by akdube; 01-19-2009 at 21:11. Reason: clarifacation?