Thread: One man canoe

Default One man canoe

I am looking for a one man canoe that I could keep in the back of my truck for afternoon outings on small lakes. I have a larger 2 man canoe, but it is not fun to paddle it by myself. I am looking for advice on which models the other members prefer and why. I might consider a one man kayak if it is comfortable for a 6' 5" occupant. Thanks
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Old Town makes a one man Predator that looks pretty cool. I do not have any personal experience with this model but I would like to try one out some day.

Default predator

It is a great canoe. It is not a light canoe though, not for portage.
    but if you are taking it right from the car to the water, not a problem
    These are designed to use for hunting and fishing, built tough. and will last a lifetime..
    I like a little lighter canoe though.
    they make some nice one man Royalex canoes that weigh around 50 lbs that can be used for portage also.
    What are you planning on using the canoe for mostly?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Max, I intend to use this canoe for fishing and maybe a little photography. I have a scanoe for hunting, but it is heavy and dificult to portage. I prefer something that is fairly light and will be most used near the road, but occasionaly it will need to be portaged. How much do aluminum canoes weigh?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Old Town produces a model called the "Pack". Made for one person and weighs in at 33 pounds.

If you get one let me know how it works out.

Default The Pack

That is a great One man canoe.
    We got one of those for my father in law for the Seeley Lake area of Montana and he loves it, He is 76 yrs old and can load and unload it himself and fish from it.
    Your Scanoe will fill the needs of the Road type launching, so I see no benifit in getting anouther heavy canoe.
    There are several manufactures of light one man type canoes.
    I have a 14 foot Fiberglass canoe that I have had for many years, it weighs less than 50 lbs and will last me forever.
    I like the advantage though of the Royalex type material for all around use,. The kevlars are also an option, plan on paying about 500 to 700 bucks for a Poly material boat, plan on paying 500 to 800 bucks for a Fiberglass canoe, Plan on paying 1,000 to 1,300 for a Royalex boat, and Plan on paying between 1,500 and 2,500 for a Kevlar or even a little more for a carbon fiber canoe..
    For the money, the Royalex is my vote, Lite and very tough..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    It is a great canoe. It is not a light canoe though, not for portage.
    but if you are taking it right from the car to the water, not a problem
    These are designed to use for hunting and fishing, built tough. and will last a lifetime..
    I like a little lighter canoe though.
    they make some nice one man Royalex canoes that weigh around 50 lbs that can be used for portage also.
    What are you planning on using the canoe for mostly?
    Max
    Max is right.

I've got a Predator C133. It's a great canoe, but it's 41" wide (just over 13' long) and 78 pounds.

Ken

Default Old Town Pack

I am 6-2 and weigh more than I should and the pack canoe from Old Town worked out great. A friend bought it used but didn't like it. So I kind of owned it by proxy. I used it for open water trapping, fishing, and even went on a 3 day trip in the Adirondacks with it.
    My advice is to kneel resting your backside against the seat. On flat water the seat isn't to bad but it does raise your center of gravity a bit. I purposely tried to flip it one day and recover in deep water. Kneeling it takes a lot, you can lay it over on its gunwale pretty good before it takes water, once it takes water tho things happen pretty quick.

At 30 some pounds you would have to look pretty hard to find a better solo I think (I haven't tried only one other solo and that was an old fiberglass basement built affair). If your used to a predator or similar (I had a Discovery 169) just keep in mind what your kneeling in.

Default Old Town Pack ease of portage and loading

I had an Old Town Pack, 12' and 33lbs, and really liked it for the ease of packing overland and also you can pick it with one hand up onto your bigger boat or sling it on top of truck really easily in comparison to any other canoe or Kayak I have owned. The Royalex material was super tough also using it as shore recon rig from my fishing vessel mostly on ocean beaches where barnacle covered rocks thrash fiberglass, this one took a lot of beatings without ever needing repair.
    It is small and at 5'11" 190lbs it was perfect for just me but add even a 130 lb wife and I think she was nervous. Down on knees with a standard backpack of gear or 7yr old son it was a cadillac boat. They used to be only 500$ also maybe 700 now

I stopped by the local EX-Sportsman's Warehouse last night. They had a OT Pack Angler for $989.99; 12', 33#. They also had a Discovery 119. I haven't seen these for years, looks like OT is making them again. 11'9", 43#, I didn 't write down the price, but it was in the $700 range.

Default 13" Grumman

I picked up a 13' Grumman in a trade last year and I can't be happier. Its light it easy to paddle. I sit in the front seat and paddle it backwards when Im paddling alone and it works great. If the water get rought I kneel on a neoprene pad to keep my ceter of gravity low. Im not completely sure how much it weights but its pretty easy for one guy to haul around. I just throw it in the back of the truck and take off. The dogs love it.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.