Thread: Moving WEST

Default Moving WEST

I can't wait. this has been a life-long dream of mine, life off the grid and off the land. and now that i'm 24 with nothign holding me back, I'm set to go! I've been reading alot and saving money for supplys and survival classes. I have a pretty extensive supply list. i can't wait. any good areas anyone can suggest for me to live in?? imma sell my car when i get to alaska, and hike in the rest of the way. i have good hiking exp.

A real man just needs a loincloth and a large knife. A real man would not settle for Alaska but would keep going west to Russia. Send a post card. If your dead set on Alaska; I hear there is a vacant bus up by Healy.

Quote Originally Posted by going west View Post
    I can't wait. this has been a life-long dream of mine, life off the grid and off the land. and now that i'm 24 with nothign holding me back, I'm set to go! I've been reading alot and saving money for supplys and survival classes. I have a pretty extensive supply list. i can't wait. any good areas anyone can suggest for me to live in?? imma sell my car when i get to alaska, and hike in the rest of the way. i have good hiking exp.

yeah i saw that movie too. thnx for nothing

Default Oh my word...

This is funny stuff. Don't take this wrong Mr. Goingwest. For some reason, this has been a popular topic lately. You should browse through the archives and look at some of the previous posts regarding this very topic.

Hopeak had a great suggestion. Don't discount his advice. Alaska is no longer the last frontier. Eastern Siberia is where you will find true wilderness and solitude.

Your very right. Its just frustrating lol. i'm really giving this all my heart and soul. i think i'll start in alaska and keep working my way west. you have to take a boat over there right?.....

Default Good sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by goingwest View Post
    Your very right. Its just frustrating lol. i'm really giving this all my heart and soul. i think i'll start in alaska and keep working my way west. you have to take a boat over there right?.....

I am glad to see you have a sense a humor. You'll get some good advice and you'll get some other stuff too. Welcome.

Wait till January and you can walk across.

Default Going west...

Should be lots of fun.Just do yourself a favor, and when you hit the Arctic, don't try to mount one of them there white horses...the're a ***** to break.GR

Quote Originally Posted by goingwest View Post
    Question... did you read the "I'm moving to Alaska" thread???

I doesn't appear that you have.

What was the name that guy who came up here in the 50's and built a cabin and lived of the land??? I dont recall but someone here will. If you have not seen that video you should get it and watch it. Its entertaining and informative. It sounds a lot like what you hope to do. Good luck.

You're thinking of Dick Proenneke. He built his cabin over in the lake clark area.

Yeah...try that now..LOL... the feds will remove you pretty quick.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

come on up. But don's sell you car until you figure out what you are going to do. Make a few one day excursions and work from there. A lot of people decide they really don't want to do that after trying it out for awhile.

I'll never forget the time I was stuck out between the Alatna and the Kobuk in a tent for 2 weeks with nothing to read, nothing to listen to and no place to go. It got down to -45. When that was done I decided I still liked Alaska but I liked people too.

I'm about as much of a loner as there is, but just 2 weeks alone got me thinking.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Keep the car as they make a OK cabin till you find something bigger.A car plus a blue trap for a wannagan makes a fine homested.