Thread: Northern Goshawk

Default Northern Goshawk

I'm in the living room when my wife yells to me "there's a bird eating a duck in our backyard!" I hurry and grab my camera and run downstairs to the back door. Sure enough, just over our fence at the tree line is a large raptor of some kind devouring a duck. I walk slowly to the edge of my fence trying to get close enough with my 135mm lens to get a good shot. This one apparently chased off its mate as I was running through the house. The second was high up in a tree watching me. I later got online and searched to find this was a Northern Goshawk. I have never seen a hawk close up before in Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice! How lucky to witness this. Well done.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Thank you Eddie, I appreciate your kind words. I have enjoyed looking at your photos for some time now.

Great shot man! Thanks for sharing. Not something you see every day
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks Dan, I hope to stop being such a spectator and start contributing to this wonderful forum.

Hey Fishon', you must live near water where ducks frequent in the winter or where someone has a feeder the ducks drop in on? That is a mature female gos as you pointed out. That drake is pretty frozen.... must have been during the much colder weather we were having as goshawks cannot eat frozen food very well. I have frequent visits by goshawks during the winter who are trying to get my homing pigeons and pheasants. Mind me asking what whereabouts your home is? Nice pics, beautiful birds!

Quite lucky you were. The model even posed for you

Hey Oats, near Tudor and Boniface the ducks are always flying back and forth between lakes on either side of Boniface. Yeah the duck was frozen solid it was just after we broke from that deep freeze. Wish I could have seen the take down.