Thread: 300 min mag for brown bear

Default 300 min mag for brown bear

300 win mag for brown bear? Is this used often, or do most use something larger? Could some of you experienced locals weigh in on this

Do a search of the Forum for .270 for Brown Bear?........

You may not get an answer but you will probably be able to form your own opinion based on the info that is there.

I don't see what is wrong using a .300 for brown bear. I don't have a .300, I have a .338 and 30-06, so I would use my .338, but if I had the .300 and not the .338, I would use the .300

had alot of clients use it, works fine, no worries.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AK SOMEDAY View Post
    300 win mag for brown bear? Is this used often, or do most use something larger? Could some of you experienced locals weigh in on this
    Works fine, Brown Bears are relatively easy to terminate. Be glad Mt. Goats don't have claws and weigh 900 pounds.

Default Goat with claws

You mean they don't ? I've been training to carry a 25 pound .50 cal up the mountain for nothing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

My 300 has done every thing i have ever asked it to do with great satisfaction. i have two 338's that really never leave the closet. unless the 300 is in for it's annual maintenance at the gun shop. ( i have it stripped and cleaned after each fall, bolt too) i have several bears and plenty of moose taken with this one rifle over the last 12 years.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

300wm will work fine if the following criteria are met: A premium quality bullet that won't fall apart such as 220 gr Barnes Triple Shock, near perfect shot placement, and a calm and collected shooter/hunter. Actually the criteria mentioned above are requirements regardless what caliber you're hunting brown bear with. Thing just get more critical as the foot pounds of energy reaching the bear start to diminish, and/or the shot placement isn't perfect.
    Mark

Barnes doesn't make a 220 TSX. Load up with a 200 grain partition or 180 grain monolithic (barnes, nosler, etc.) and go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Barnes doesn't make a 220 TSX. Load up with a 200 grain partition or 180 grain monolithic (barnes, nosler, etc.) and go hunting.
    I had two clients that both shot brown bears a couple of years ago with Barnes Triple Shock bullets out of a 300WM, I thought they said they were 220 grain, but I could be mistaken. However, both bullets were recovered, and they had performed flawlessly, they looked like they should be in a magazine advertisement.

Thumbs up What caliber for brownies?

My buddy in Cordova did a deer hunt in PWS earlier this winter and shot a brown bear (right at 9') in the eye at 50 yards with his .243 Win. He spotted it coming up the hill while packing a deer down the same hill. He sat and waited as the bear just mosied on up the trail. After a few minutes of waiting, with a good rest and time to get his mind right; he torched 'er off and dropped it instantly. Other than the little larger than normal eye hole, no other holes in the hide. He was also shooting a pet rifle that was very natural in his hands, shoots his own reloads and knows the ballistics. I believe proper bullet placement and a great bullet are critical. I've taken a griz with my .270 using 150gr Noslers and a brownie with my bow. No problems either time. So it's all up to your confidence level, familiarity with your equipment and of course, the circumstances at hand. To answer your question, yes, a .300 will do the job just fine. If I had one, I'd use it...

Default works fine

The one time I ever saw a brown bear taken with a 300 was 1 shot at 100yrds right in the shoulder. Bear made it 15 feet and was dead. About an 800lbs bear. Bullet was a 200 grain. This was not a overly experienced hunter/shooter and he had never even shot a black or brown bear before. He also only spends enough time at the range to make sure his scope is dead on before he heads out to the feild. It is plenty of gun for anyone hunting brown bear. I would take BRWNBR's advice over any other - "works fine no worries". He guides hunters for the bruins of Kodiak.

Default 300wm does it all

I truly believe that the 300wm is tied with the 30-06 for most versatile round in Alaska. You can get 250 grain barnes round nose for it on down to 130 grainers. It'll take anything in AK. The new 300wsm may someday supplant the 300wm and 30-06 just due to it's ability to cut weight in the barrel and action without losing ballistic ability, but it's just too new right now.

s