Thread: Black Bear with a Spear?

Default Black Bear with a Spear?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

crazy video, not my choice of weapons but if you put in enough practice then im sure its very effective. youtube had some pig hunting with a spear too where the guy was behind a tree and stuck them as they came walking by. probably good to have a firearm handy in case you got to track and finish the animal off.

Default bear hunting

I have hunted with spear off bait,but never threw spear. The barrel was set 8 foot bellow my tree stand and when the bear came in I would thrust the spear down so there was good penetration and not much chance in wouding animal from a bad throgh. I took one bear this way and wife conplained after we had kida and said I need to be a little less adventerous. I now hunt same stsnd, but with bow, muzzle loader , pistol or rifle. We have taken some 7 foot plus bears out of area nose to tail measurment. Most bears are 6.8 7.2 feet before squaring. All 6 foot bears get to live a few more years whear I hunt, or until they wounder to the wrong bait site.

Default What a rush..

Quote Originally Posted by brslar View Post
    I have hunted with spear off bait,but never threw spear. The barrel was set 8 foot bellow my tree stand and when the bear came in I would thrust the spear down so there was good penetration and not much chance in wouding animal from a bad throgh. I took one bear this way and wife conplained after we had kida and said I need to be a little less adventerous. I now hunt same stsnd, but with bow, muzzle loader , pistol or rifle. We have taken some 7 foot plus bears out of area nose to tail measurment. Most bears are 6.8 7.2 feet before squaring. All 6 foot bears get to live a few more years whear I hunt, or until they wounder to the wrong bait site.
    I bet that really got the adrenaline going. Those are some really big bears!

Now thats "Sport" hunting at its best!

"Cept maby doing it on the ground would make it more "Fair Chase" for the Bear!!!~LOL!!!~ How fast could a guy run?? Better be a Hunting athlete!!!hahahahahahah!! Bet theres some hurdles that can be found as well.

Fact is, Loooooooooong ago, hunting Bears with a Spear was the only way to get them....with maby a few arrows, and some dogs to distract them.

Id give it a try.

Thanks.

I wonder if he recovered the bear, looked like the spear struck alittle far back!!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

he mentioned int he comments that the bear was eaten so all we can do is assume it was. you have to go towards the last page of comments to see. man youtube sure has a bunch of immature yahoos leaving comments. lots of sensless babbling and arguing.

Dont worry about that Bear getting away.

The spear was put just behind the last ribs, I saw, and thats just where you poke a Caribou or harpoon a Seal and I imagine poking the Bear there would be prefect too, if your spearing them. Hits the liver and probly the diaphram, leading to massive bleeding from that blade slicing amok in there. No bones to bounce off and excallent penatration for its caliber....even with no exansion whatsoever.~LOL!~

Stranger,

I'll bet you have a ton of good stories!! It's nice to hear from someone who has a true subsistence background. What methods do you guys use to hunt seals these days?

I dont personally chuck spears , but my sons and inlaws certainly do. I drive the boat and drop them off and fish or shoot sea ducks and geese amonge the ice floes. Char fishing is a blast then.
    I watch them stalk and shoot, or stalk and spear them, depending on whats going on.
    They also drive their snow gos across the ice and spot them, and then slide tward them on a small sled for a sure shot.
    They get the ones that go up in the river as well, and alot do,when we Salmon camp and thats fun too.
    Im gonna work up a post or two on the subject.
    My brotherinlaw "Papa" is a spear chuckin' fool.

Spearing any animal is a fairly wild event.
    When done correctly, it is a fast death.

Default Spearing a bear

Hey All,

I happen to know a guy that speared a black bear, his son video taped it. I've seen the video. Not sure if it's the same one on you tube, I can't access you tube since I'm in Iraq right now and it's not allowed on military networks, lucky for me this site is! My friend killed his bear, it died pretty quick. He has the skull and the spear head mounted on a plaque, if I remember correctly it was either a 6ft or very close bear. As Paul Harvey said, "and now you know".

Take Care, Rick

Default Practice throws?

For those that still do it (spearing), how often do you practice? Just doesn't seem like you wake up one day and try to spear anything? I guess it would take some practice, just like a bow?

If I ever hunt bear over bait it'll be one of two ways:

1) Spear
    2) Bow I made myself

Pretty awesome throw in that vid

Of course that goes out the door if there is an apoclypse and I need to feed myself
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The Athabascans hunted grizzlies with spears. Sidney Huntington up in Galena did it one time back in the day and flipped it over his head as it charged from the den and impaled itself on the spear.
    Now what ?

I think that was one heck of a spear chuck, good for him, now I'm waiting for the spot and stalk and brown bear with a spear.