Thread: Leupold VX-III Question

Default Leupold VX-III Question

I just got a new Leupold VX-III, and have been going through the owners book trying to figure out all of the bells and whistles... I dont completely understand the range estimating section. I understand how it says about from the breastbone to the back being 16 inches, and lining that up with the bottom of the reticle to the middle. But how that corresponds to the number on the magnification ring is baffling me. can someone help?

Shawn

I think what they want you to do is put the crosshair on the animals back and then zoom in or out until the heavy duplex portion of the crosshair meets the bottom of the animals chest.

You are essentially "bracketing" the animal using the bottom post and the center of the crosshair. When you have done this you read the number on the power ring in hundreds of yards, at least thats how it worked way back when they first intro'd the concept. They accomplish this because they know the distance between the 2 points of the reticle and dictate the 16" depth in the field, and that allows them to use a scope as a range finder.

Only works for animals with a chest depth of about 16". Unless you have a varmit or Boone-Crockett reticle.

Read more about it here...http://www2.leupold.com/resources/My...ndanswers.aspx

Default From BIGBOB's link and Leupold:

Range Estimating Feature for Vari-X III's
    How does the range estimating feature of the Vari-X III work? The range estimating feature of the Vari-X III scopes uses the subtension of the Duplex® reticle to measure a 16 inch object. The distance from the tip of any of the heavy posts to the center of the thin section will subtend 16 inches when the power selector ring is set on the distance to the target. Let us assume that the body height of the average whitetail deer is 16 inches behind the front legs. Looking at the deer through the scope, we can turn the power selector ring until the 16 inch body fills the opening in the duplex. The range estimation is indicated on the rear of the power selector. For more information, please consult our list of "frequently asked questions" at www.leupold.com/tifaq.

Default makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOB View Post
    I think what they want you to do is put the crosshair on the animals back and then zoom in or out until the heavy duplex portion of the crosshair meets the bottom of the animals chest.

You are essentially "bracketing" the animal using the bottom post and the center of the crosshair. When you have done this you read the number on the power ring in hundreds of yards, at least thats how it worked way back when they first intro'd the concept. They accomplish this because they know the distance between the 2 points of the reticle and dictate the 16" depth in the field, and that allows them to use a scope as a range finder.

Only works for animals with a chest depth of about 16". Unless you have a varmit or Boone-Crockett reticle.

Read more about it here...http://www2.leupold.com/resources/My...ndanswers.aspx

That makes sense if it is in hundres of yards... It wasnt making sense by only reading the instructions, and seeing the #2 on the dial. There is no way this crap is right if it is showing only 3 yards with a scope at 4.5x . I think I understand now. On the down side, I took it to get mounted today, and my old scope screws were stuck. The "Wharehouse" dude stripped them out, and said it had to go to a gunsmith. I bought an easy out, brough it home, drilled out the stuck screws and removed them w/the easy out. Thanks for the help! Ready to be mounted now...

Shawn