Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 tundra 300

Default 2009 tundra 300

anybody have/ridden one?? I am looking at getting one this coming summer and I would like to know some opinions. I don't want the bigger 550f due to the weight, I want something I can toss around easily. Thanks!

I have a 2007 300F (and a 550F). It is light. Fairly easy to get unstuck. The Rotax is a proven engine. It is peppy to a point but not nearly as peppy as the 550F. The ergonomics are awesome. Easy to ride while standing.

I have not pulled freight with it yet.

Mike

Default 09 300f

I bought a pair this year after riding 500 -1000 cc machines for the last 5-8 years...

Going back to the basics was like being 10 again, but with experience. They are so light that the ride effortsly and when (if) you get stuck they are easy to get going again.

They will run all weekend on a tank of gas and go everywhere the big sleds go at half the speed and cost. I love our Tundra's..... when I get on my indy.... it is snappy, but heavey and laborous..... Randy at CC in Wasilla gave us a pair to ride around Lake Lucille before we bought ours and after 30 minutes of riding the little snow shoe.... we were sold.

Tom

We rode yesterday. About 55 miles back to the end of Tyone with 300F and 550F. Fuel guage was on E when we loaded up. Deep snow sucks some of the power. I would have gone faster if I had stayed on the groomed trails. The powder in some areas was GREAT!! No problems with either machine. If it gets any warmer, I will have to rejet though.

dirtofak, tell me about the 550....how does it ride in the powder compared to the 300 and how's it do on hills? the 300 i rode just lost power a bit when you hit and incline, but was alot of fun on soft ground in rolly conditions or on a trail, Curious if the 550 is the spring bear hunting/trapline machine for me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    dirtofak, tell me about the 550....how does it ride in the powder compared to the 300 and how's it do on hills? the 300 i rode just lost power a bit when you hit and incline, but was alot of fun on soft ground in rolly conditions or on a trail, Curious if the 550 is the spring bear hunting/trapline machine for me.
    I talked to a couple of guys last winter in Wasilla that had the 550 for the same purposes as yours. One had bought the 1 up seat from the 300 and put it on his 550 for more tunnel top gear hauling capability. The other had modified the OEM seat to make a small single seat for the same purpose.

Haven't been on a 300, but I like my 550.

Here's what the 550 looks like with a 300 seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not wanting to Hi-jack the thread, but it is close enough to ask about the 550 Tundra Long track 154" vs. the 136" 550 Tundra. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    I talked to a couple of guys last winter in Wasilla that had the 550 for the same purposes as yours. One had bought the 1 up seat from the 300 and put it on his 550 for more tunnel top gear hauling capability. The other had modified the OEM seat to make a small single seat for the same purpose.

Haven't been on a 300, but I like my 550.

Here's what the 550 looks like with a 300 seat.
    Mine has the 1 up seat (I got the 2 up seat, new and unused). We bought the 550F out in the valley so it may be the same one. Down off of Sunset.

The 300 does run out of power with my 215 LBS on it. It does well most of the time and I am learning when I need to have a bit of a run at a hill etc. It may have been close to needing a jet change as it was warm.

The 550F goes 0-60 pretty quick. It will hold speed in the deeper powder alot better than the 300F. It is also heavier and can spin the track down to bare ground in .001 of of second. If the 550F tows freight well, it is a great all around machine.

Default 4-stroke Tundra

I recently got a 2009 4-stroke Tundra. It's heavier than the 550. But it's better on fuel.

But I have to say ... I'm NOT impressed with Ski Doo quality control (or lack there of). After riding the sled for 80 miles or so I happened to look down and saw that one of the key bolts that connect the shock, a-arm and ski post was missing a nut. This is a nylon lock nut ... they don't jiggle free. So it was never installed in the first place! That is likely a AMDS problem.

Soon after, the Tundra started overheating on a powdery trail at 10 degrees F. That made no sense. I checked the coolant and it was low. Then I noticed antifreeze on the engine block. Come to find out, the main coolant hose to the block was barely tightened. It took 8 turns of the screw clamp to get the hose snug. So the engine was never assembled properly in the first place.

You'd think that for the price you pay for new sleds they would actually be put together right. That's not the case with AMDS / Ski-Doo from my recent experience.

But now that I've done the work that AMDS / Ski-Doo should have done ... the 4-stroke Tundra is running fine and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    BRWNBR, I think the 550 is just the machine you are looking for. I have had mine for a couple months now and just used it this past weekend to haul some stuff into the cabin and then do some exploring once we got back there. It is one awesome machine. Lots more power than I expected and very good performance off trail exploring in deep snow. I am looking forward to getting up in the hills behind the cabin for spring griz with it now.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

huntnphotos, dang thats what i was afraid of now i want one even more. just seems like a good combination of alaskan gear all rolled into one sled....
    come on dividends!!!
    lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hey Jake, just sent you a PM. Sometime if you have some time you can tag along up to the cabin and play around on mine a while and see if its what your looking for. Might be able to explore a bit for some spring Brownies. There were some big boys up there this past summer chasing reds.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

If you get or have a 300F Tundra. Check the carb mount (between the carb and airbox) after every trip. The guy that had mine did not have it clamped down (for a long time). I caught it when I got it home. A month later, I go to change jets and it was ugly what I found on the back where you cannot see it. It had worn a hole through the flange and almost into the float bowl. $230 gone. There is an upgraded boot (carb to engine) also. I may never buy a used machine again.

Mike

The LT 550 is one heck of a sled. I have been using mine for some trapping this winter, I hauled 2 bou out of the whites with a 200 lb buddy riding beaacth, it performed beyond my expectations. Heres a pic of mine on a ridge top in the Whites. Cant wait to do some late season riding when we have more daylight and warmer temps, and plan on using it to find me a Griz in April/May.

Heres a pic of the Ski Doo box I mounted on it and my homemade gun boot

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    The LT 550 is one heck of a sled. I have been using mine for some trapping this winter, I hauled 2 bou out of the whites with a 200 lb buddy riding beaacth, it performed beyond my expectations. Heres a pic of mine on a ridge top in the Whites. Cant wait to do some late season riding when we have more daylight and warmer temps, and plan on using it to find me a Griz in April/May.

Heres a pic of the Ski Doo box I mounted on it and my homemade gun boot

Cub, your toy box runneth over!

Shushh, momma will hear you!.....grin

Thumbs up Guided on the 550 Tundra last year...

Last season one of my favorite guide sleds was the 550F LT Tundra! The RF platform is a great utility/sport design. Engine-wise... It had plenty of pep and excellent reliability, but like any fan-cooled 550, it will never achieve the gas mileage, snap, or non pollutant factor of the SDI or new ETec.

The Backcountry Freestyle (RF platform) and Summit (older REV platfom) 550F were not as nice as the Tundra 550 F LT for deeper snow, or nearly as good w/ ergonomics, plus not up to the loads and 2-up riding.

I would not even consider the 300F or Backcountry if the Tundra 550F LT was in my price range for here in Alaska.

I give the Tundra 550F LT an A+++ rating!!!

If you would like to try b4 you buy & in the Anchorage area... send me a pm & I can point you in the right direction. I think it's well worth a day trip to make a fair hands-on comparison and help out with any decision making.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Fuel economy

Brian, What kind of mileage do you get from the 550? A friend gets 17 with his 300.

Default It's really hard to say...

I should know the answer to this question... nevertheless, fuel consumption is so varied from my applications of day to multi-day --- powder to packed --- flats to steeps --- play to utility.

Default Cory??

Did you get the 154" track? I am looking into one for my wife with the 2 up seat for one of the kids. Any way the back rider, if a toddler, can reach their feet to the running boards? Looks like it is quite a reach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast