Thread: $1,500 budget for spotting scope & binocs

Default $1,500 budget for spotting scope & binocs

Recommendations? Wifey pre-approved $1,500 for new set. Pretty much takes out the swarovski I guess. I've been impressed with the nikon stuff I've looked through. thanks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Nikon Monarch ATBs are a very tough bino to beat in their price range. However, if I had a $1500 for bincos and a spotter I'd probably go like this:

Minox HG 10X43s-$580
    I bought these for my wife and they are lighter and every bit as clear and bright as my Swaro's 10X42 SLCs. This normally go for $950 or more at SW. Great price on those demo units that look basically brand new.

For a spotter I'd probably opt for the Pentax PF-65ED II with the Zoom eyepiece with the straight for $750 or the angle $800.

Total=$1380

Take the extra $120 and put it towards a quality tripod.

So there you have it. First time in history that someone gives a price range and I stayed well below that.

Alaska_Lanche summed it up in my book. Buy a demo Pentax from Cameraland and you should be able to save even more.

Or find some used Swaro binos for around a thousand and buy a cheaper scope. You'll use the binos twice as much as you'll use the spotter.

Default Buy Binos first

Take the $1,500 and buy some swarovski or leica binoculars this year. Next year buy a new scope. These are one time investments for the serious hunter. Don't go cheap, you will end up buying the best at some point anyway.

Thumbs up

Keep an eye out on talk forums in the sell sections .
    I picked up a almost new Swarovski STS 65mm Spotting Scope w/variable eyepiece with a hard case and shipped to Alaska for $1,150.

Good deals can be had .
    I also second the Nikon Monarch ATBs , they are very good for the price.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

How does a guy put a value on limited run spotting scopes....? Bausch & Lomb made a limited run of: Long eye relief ZOOM spotting scopes, it was a short run, be for they switched to the heavier armor coated model. I have one as new in the box, how do I value it....? Thank you

Another good place to find used or floor demo optics: www.samplelist.com

Another Bino to check out is the Pentax 10x43 DCF SP. Right know Camerland had demo's selling for $469, smoking good price. The SP's were considered for a while to be the best bino for under a $1,000. Since then the Minox HG's and Pentax ED's have come out lowering the SP's status a little. The SP's are still an awesome bino. Mine have gone everywhere with me for the past three years.

Ditto on the Pentax DCF SP's. I have had the 10x43's since they first came out.

I snagged up a pair of the Pentax DCF ED's in 8x43 on demo from Doug for $600, they are sweet too!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I snagged up a pair of the Pentax DCF ED's in 8x43 on demo from Doug for $600, they are sweet too!
    I'll give you 250 for the Leicas!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Nikon Monarch ATBs are a very tough bino to beat in their price range. However, if I had a $1500 for bincos and a spotter I'd probably go like this:

Minox HG 10X43s-$580
    I bought these for my wife and they are lighter and every bit as clear and bright as my Swaro's 10X42 SLCs. This normally go for $950 or more at SW. Great price on those demo units that look basically brand new.

For a spotter I'd probably opt for the Pentax PF-65ED II with the Zoom eyepiece with the straight for $750 or the angle $800.

Total=$1380

Take the extra $120 and put it towards a quality tripod.

So there you have it. First time in history that someone gives a price range and I stayed well below that.
    You can't go wrong with this suggestion, or better it. The only thing I would add is Vortex Razor binos. They are optically equivalent to the HG's, but heavier which some prefer to help hold steady.

Brent