Thread: Kanektok River

Default Kanektok River

A buddy and I are looking at hitting the Kanektok this summer. We'll be in Bethel and can get down there no problem, quick drop off and "pick us up here in four days" sort of thing. We would like to rent a boat on the river and clear things with the village corporation. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

It is a 90 mile float. Doubt that will happen in 4 days.

If you are just flying into the village and having someone run you up river to fish, sure. But you will not take a float trip on the Kanektok in 4 days. So if four days is the time frame, you will need to find someone to take you up river, dropping you off, then returning to pick you up and taking you to the runway in the village for your pick up. Good luck with that. As for renting a boat, I wish you even more luck.

There are a few tent lodges on the river. Duncan and Brothers I believe is the name of one. Good outfit from what I hear, but expensive. Also, not sure if they would work out a 4 day visit or not. Usually a week from what I hear.

If you can find 7-10 days, you can plan a float trip and do the river that way. If applicable, Papa Bear in Bethel could fly you there. This is how the Kanektok is most often fished.

As for clearing things with the village corporation, I don't follow. Clear what? You would need to camp below mean high water marks, which you should do anyway. Not sure what you would clear with the corporation.

I would advise you to keep to yourself. Be sure to carry a poop bucket and pack out all waste with you. Heard some bad reports from fisherman going down the Kanektok. The villagers seem to be intolerant at times to all the traffic on the river. Recently changed the place where you take out at the end of the trip making for more hassle to get your gear to the runway. That is, without paying one of the villagers to run it up on an atv. A fisherman was shot and killed a few years back by one of the villagers. I have no idea what the circumstances were, but that is not the kind of thing you want to hear about when planning a fishing trip.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

A fisherman was shot and killed a few years back by one of the villagers. I have no idea what the circumstances were, but that is not the kind of thing you want to hear about when planning a fishing trip.

Thought it would be more responsible of me to say this....

I heard/read where a fisherman was shot and killed by one of the villagers.

I can't say with certainty this happened. But I know it is why I choose the Goodnews over the Kanektok in 2007.

If anyone is reading this that has not been to remote villages in Alaska, ignore it. It does not represent village life in Alaska. If it is true, it is the only such instance that I have heard about. And as I mentioned, I can't even verify that it happened in Quinhagak. I may have been on the receiving end of some bad info. If applicable, I am trying not to do the same.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'll ask around town, I had not heard that.