Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: moose sheds????

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    67

    Default moose sheds????

    ive herd people start finding them this time of year just wondering if anyone has found any this year

  2. #2

    Default Sheds

    I haven`t found any yet, but this is the time of year to start looking, especially around willow patches that you know like to hang around.

  3. #3
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    61

    Default Moose Sheds....

    Quote Originally Posted by bryasch View Post
    ive herd people start finding them this time of year just wondering if anyone has found any this year
    Had two bulls in the backyard the other day. One bull only had one antler left and the other bull was rubbing a birch pretty hard. I'm assuming he was trying to get rid of them.

  5. #5

    Default

    Lots of info posted in the archives. Do a search. With all the snow that has melted, sheds are easy to find right now. Look on the flats between Anch and Wasilla, in the swamp about a mile north of Houston to the west, powerline pass on the Anch hillside, up Eagle River Valley along the powerlines and any river bottoms or glacial morianes that might be near your location.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6

    Default Ooops

    Too late, they've all been picked. They all get picked up Jan 1 through Jan 10. God luck next year.

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Too late, they've all been picked. They all get picked up Jan 1 through Jan 10. God luck next year.
    Assuming you found some?

    I was going to go out hare hunting today, but it's spitting rain and the snow is crunchy where I was going to go. Maybe I'll go shed hunting instead.

  8. #8

    Talking we scored

    The little shed was found on the trail. I strapped it to the sled and then found a matching set not 200 ft farther down the trail - side by side! Sometimes ya just gets lucky!
    The matching set was right close to a 50" bull.

    On a side note, we found 4 wolf (moose) kills from this winter in a 10 mile stretch. I think there was at least one more but we couldn't find the kill site. A cow/calf pair were only days old. We had a light snow overnight which revealed a single wolf coming back to the cow/calf kill. I never saw the wolf but the .204 ruger was sure ready to play.

    I cut the tracks of the same pack in that fresh snow but lost them after a 15 mile pursuit. We had a great weekend and I got the antler bug again!

    This all took place on Moose kill MT near Antler Creek just south of wolf pack run
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9

    Default one more pic

    A pic from the early a.m
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Member gusuk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portage Creek,ALASKA
    Posts
    213

    Default Cool/exalta

    right on guy's- dude's,sure wish i could go out and about here for there is brown and white in them their hills,weather has hampered us here and getting out and about is hard,near bare ground now and creek that overflowith now settleing,never seen it like it is now...great pics

  11. #11
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Great find, does your lab ride in the trailer some been thinking of taking the lab with me on a trip on the sled but he can not run forever.

    Thanks

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I have flown over the glacier the past few years I have spotted a place where it seems as if the bulls have droped forever as i have seen piles of hornsin a small plot of ground

    22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

  13. #13

    Default dog on snogo

    AKFISHON - My lab actually sits her butt between my legs on puts her feet on the gas tank. We rode in 30 miles like that. A little challenging at times but she goes where dad goes! Of course she gets her share of running as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14

    Default found another today

    I saw 2 bulls, one shed out, one still packin, on Decmeber 26th and finally made it back to the willow patch for a look see. Low and behold I found one side of the shed out bull. I scoured the area pretty hard but didn't find the other side - I think it's there.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15

    Default

    Flew several hours in the Talkeetna's yesterday and saw no less than six Bulls with racks. Only one had a single horn. There's a lot of Moose in the mountains, we spotted over 80-100 animals in a two hour flight.

  16. #16

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by APEX View Post
    Flew several hours in the Talkeetna's yesterday and saw no less than six Bulls with racks. Only one had a single horn. There's a lot of Moose in the mountains, we spotted over 80-100 animals in a two hour flight.
    I would not say that is a "lot". It was not that long ago, when you could see that many on the Palmer Flats, from an auto in a ten minute drive. From the air it was not uncommon to see way more than that in a two hour flight, in winter. But it is good there is currently enough to provide for seed.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default Good Point AkRes

    I remember when I was a kid, cruising past the hay flats, and counting in upwards of 80 moose. Granted, I am sure we were going 60 mph, but I digress, there used to be a lot of moose in these parts...J

  18. #18
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    The moose in unit 14a/b seem to be rebounding, as I've been seeing a lot moose. Lots of bulls too. Saw a lot up in the mountains as well. One particular beast that had 5 brows on each side and was 60-65" in velvet....

  19. #19
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    My pops said that he saw one in new velvet by our cabin 2 weeks ago, and another small bull with one shed. I found a pretty nice 2 brow tine shed last year in the same area that i carry with me for calling moose.

  20. #20
    Member 4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ALASKA
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Had these two youngsters in my front yard this morn'n Jan.29th. Still sport'n!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •