Thread: Wasilla h.s. gunshow: What did you pick up?

Default Wasilla h.s. gunshow: What did you pick up?

I just went to the Wasilla Highschool gun show today. Nice weather, lots of people, lots of vendors, made for a great show. It was interesting to see what everyone had, you could tell a lot of the vendors were tapped out and bringing out some of the back shelf kinda stuff. Picked up a brand new, never fired Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum for 350.00 bucks, and a crappy little Jiminez .380 auto to mess around with. One of my good friends bought a nice Ruger Vaquero Colt .45 customized by Gary Reeder, for only $1000, if im correct, the customization is around a 1600 dollar job, minus price of a new vaquero. What did you find?

Saw one vendor selling an older Vari-X II 3x9 for $375, saw another selling an older Vari-X III 1.5x5 for $500. Sporterized mausers with straight bolts (making scope mounting difficult) for $400+ dollars. A butchered and beaten pre-64 270 for $1200. Pretty incredible pricing - what precisely are those people thinking?

There were a few neat things kicking around though - saw a ruger #1 in 458 for $600, and one in 375 H&H for about the same. In general, though, lots of folks charging retail prices or more for used stuff.

Vek, thats why I dont go to the gunshows anymore. price gouging to the max. grant it, you can find some good deals but overall its a joke.

I had a good time at the show. That's my first time going to the Wasilla High show; a lot better than I expected due to comments from folks on here. Lot of guns and definitely better than the Eagle River Lions show.

I bought a pair of $80 Mountain Hardware hiking pants for $20, that's it. My buddy bought a new, shrink wrapped copy of "Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost" for $15; same book I bought last spring for $35.

Lookin' for a 4' Ruger Redhawk .44; guy wanted more USED than I can get it for NEW.

Tim

Pokin' around for an AK-47 too; could get one in town at the local gun shop cheaper than the show too. Prices are high at the shows; something to do though.

Tim

Looking around I found a couple of deals but the only one we bought was a good deal on a hunting knife, my daughter bought it for the upcoming year(s). I also bought a tactical scope for my AR.

Looked around, didn't find any super deals. I picked up a couple magazines for maybe a few dollars cheaper than at the shops, and a vertical grip for the AR.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Vek, thats why I dont go to the gunshows anymore. price gouging to the max. grant it, you can find some good deals but overall its a joke.
    Same here. I will be danged if I will pay an entrance fee to give an opportunity to spend my money on overpriced trash.
    Tennessee

I thought it was a good show, nice weather and ran into a few friends I hadn't seen in a while. I bought a box of Hornady TAP .308 HPBT 168gr, and a crappy cup of coffee . Good show over all I thought. I really liked the military weapons display in the back...kool stuff. Any one used the ceramic cote that was on display. Looked like nice work on the display models. I have a stainles barrel I'd like to...unshine.

What was the name of the coating? Cera-kote? If so, I'm interested in who does this.

I guess I should have went to the show.

Default A great gun show!

Beauty is where you find it! I go to the show to pick up odds and ends that I can't find in gun stores meet old friends and have a great time. I've been to a lot of gun shows over the country for the last 45 years or so- this one rates very good- excellent for me.

This time I ran into a guy I worked with at SOHIO back in the early 80's, met a guy face to face that I had met on this forum, and shook hands with a lot of people I've met at the gun shows.

I picked up a nice orginal 1903 Springfield Mk 1 rifle, a sportized 1917 Enfield with a Canjar set trigger and an original Winchester barrel I need to restore an action I bought last month, a Win. Mdl 70 in .338 with Talley QD rings and bases that I want to put on another rifle, and a real nice .303 Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1. Also got a couple of books on rifle scopes and old sights and a couple of boxes of .303 for the Enfield. Total cost was under $1000; value is considerably higher than that.

Friend I was with got a nice S&W Mdl 29 4 screw for $550.

Wish I could have spent more time but I had to go to work Sat. afternnon and all day today. Don't know what I could have found if I had more time - but then I won't have had the money
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default MATT...Cerakote

It looked like nice stuff, here is the # Kevin 360-1694, Precision custom rifles. Let me know what you think.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well I was severely limited in my discretionary cash and mostly just went to see what was there, get the boys out of the house and maybe take a couple of phone numbers down if I ran across something I was interested in and scrounge around for some casting and reloading gear.

Picked up some ingot moulds and did in fact get a couple of phone numbers. Got to actually place my hands upon a Sako Finnbear in 308! Ohhh Momma (say it with me) Ohhh Momma (Ok, now in your best Elvis voice) Ohhh Momma! Yes indeed, very, very cool! Priced beyond my reach, but well below what you see them (when you see them) going for on the auction sites. Also saw a BB94 if 356 Win that was beyond my reach as well, but frankly priced about right. Lots of dirty old SMLE’s calling my name, but my wallet wouldn’t let me answer, and then there was an intriguing old sporterized Krag…….. I might just be giving that guy a call in a month or two.

The highlight of course was meeting up with Smitty of the North! It’s always a pleasure to meet an esteemed and like minded member of this forum in person, and Smitty did not disappoint. What a genuinely gracious and kind fellow……… I suspect I will be seeing more of him! I did make sure to check him for beanie babies, and he wasn’t carrying any, so he is good to go!

Overall, I would say that even though the prices were a bit on the high side, and the number of vendors was still a bit down from 2004-2006, I think it was an improvement over last years show. I am hopeful that it is an “upward” trend and that next year will bring in even more participants.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Gun Shows

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've been to a lot of gun shows over the country for the last 45 years or so- this one rates very good- excellent for me.
    Really? You might want to check out the show in Puyallup, WA or the one in Missoula, MT at the University. Back in the day you could get granades at the Missoula show minus the powder. I think the days of Excellent gun shows is behind us now. 99 bucks for a 1000 7.62X39 and the $100 SKS, you won't see these any more. However they do make a good social gathering place to meet people and contacts
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default Current gun shows

I was refering to the current crop of gun shows - not the way gun shows were years ago. I started going to gun shows in the early 60s and you could buy about anything. I remember one show where a guy was selling live sten guns under the table for $75. There were the $8 rifles like the 93 Mauser I bought one time and new GI .45s were $35. More recently I remember buying a bunch of SKSs at the Houston show for $39 each one time about 10 -12 years ago and ammo was down to around $80 per 1000.

But that was then and now is now! For a friendly fun gun show the Alaska shows are still ahrd to beat. I still manage to pick up a treasure or two at a great price out of about every show but then again I have wide interest and know a good deal. If I were a specilized collector in high end stuff these shows would indeed be lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    Really? You might want to check out the show in Puyallup, WA or the one in Missoula, MT at the University. Back in the day you could get granades at the Missoula show minus the powder. I think the days of Excellent gun shows is behind us now. 99 bucks for a 1000 7.62X39 and the $100 SKS, you won't see these any more. However they do make a good social gathering place to meet people and contacts
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I got a business card that lead to a Guides Choice holster.

Default i picked this up

winchester model 9422 in great condition for 75 bucks less than asking price..probably paid what its worth but not more....great little gun...shot a bunny with it the other day with my beagle... i can't complain....wanted a 22mag but comprimized for a s/l/lr for the same price i could get anyone to order me a mag
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"