Thread: 358 sta

Default 358 sta

Anyone have any experience with this cartridge? I have a new donor action for a project, and I don't have a 35. I have narrowed it down to this and a 358 Norma. I handload, so that won't be an issue. Thanks in advance.
    Matt

Default Can't go wrong ...

with either cartridge. Both excelent choices. 358 STA offers a bit more velocity than the 358 Norma but it's questionable if the extra velocity is needed under most hunting conditions.

My big complaint with the 35 caliper line of bullets is that the bullet manufactures do not offer as wide a selection of bullet choices for the 35 caliper as they do with say the 338 or the 375 lines.

I sure wish that Barnes would offer a TSX 35 caliper in 250 and 275 grain.

You'll learn to get cozy with the Swift A-Frames in 250 and 280 grain offerings.

Default .358 sta

The .358 STA has a longer case than the .358 Norma. The STA measures 2.85" and the Norma measures 2.52". Having the longer case, the STA can send a 275 grain bullet as fast as the Norma can send a 250 grain bullet.

Since you handload you might consider a 35 cal based on the 375 Ruger or 375 Dakota - both could be based on a standard length action and could do wonders with a 250 gr. bullet.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

MMcLaughlin, you didn't happen to say what the donor action was did you? I only ask because this might have some bearing upon your selection, and therefore the sense of suggestions offered. I only had a short action, (thus the name 358wsm) for my build. I do own a Ruger #1 in 35 Whelen, but I'll not rechamber that one. I've been gaining experience with the 35's over the last few years, and this might help you in your project. First, for some reason, once you reach the .358 bore, barrel length to velocity has "little" effect. My findings reviel that a difference of only about 60ft per/sec. is lost by going from 24" to 20" with my heiver loading of H4895, 2930ft/sec down to2765ft/sec. 225 Barnes TSX. I currently push the 225 swift A-frame at around 2900 even (a true moose crusher). You will have to burn an awful lot more powder than I do in the STA to equal what I'm getting...and yes, you have the capacity to exceed my velocity, but not enough that in the field you'd know the differance (I think that EX1811 was making a sinilar point). I like lots of "horsepower" but not at the expense of inefficency in excess. For example, with most of the hunting weight bullets it takes roughly 200 ft/sec to make an inch in tradjectory at 300 yards when sighted in at 200 yards...one inch, that's it. In reality, I honestly think that the 358 Norma will prove to be excessive in the area of needed "Horsepower" and that there is NOTHING in the area of real on game performance that would indicate a differance between it and the larger case of the STA. It also (depending again on your action) would be a better fit when it comes to loading. Here again I would custom throat your chamber so that if you wanted to load "just off the lands" you could, while keeping the bullet at or forward the case shoulder and still cycle through your action...I had my "Smithy" do this for me and found the sweet spot for the swift's to be at just about .015" off the lands. I think that you will be very pleased if you go with the 358 Norma/.358-338Winchester Magnum.

I have a custom made 350 Griffin & Howe. It is basically a 375 H&H necked down to 35 cal. You can make brass from 375 H&H or buy headstamped brass from Quality Cartridge. I have been very impressed with the rifle and cartridge. Just something else to consider.

Doesn't the STA take a "magnum" length action while the Norma uses a standard length? I'm probably wrong on the STA.
    I have a Norma, & I think it will do all I'll ever need. Really just putting it together now (mods on the rifle I received) but sure looking forward to playing with it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Doesn't the STA take a "magnum" length action while the Norma uses a standard length? I'm probably wrong on the STA.
    I have a Norma, & I think it will do all I'll ever need. Really just putting it together now (mods on the rifle I received) but sure looking forward to playing with it.
    Sounds nice. You should post a pic or two once you have the rifle finished. Any plans on what bullet you plan on shooting?

Thanks Matt, but it won't be anything special, just a working gun. Pics are always fun though.
    For now I'm figuring Barnes TSX225s & hoping that they'll come out with a TSX 250 at some point.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Donor action is a Mod 70 classic in 300 wm. Length shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the replies. I am now thinking of making a 416 ruger instead. I will look at the 350 though.

....I had my eye on this rifle for 2 years, at each gun show...-was finally in a postition to get it, last year...

-358 Norma on a 1903 Springfield action...(was rechambered from a .35 Whelen)

-Griffin and Howe quick release mount...

-sportorized, Douglass barrel

-took me a bit to get used to the length of pull on this action --
    ...but, I absolutely love this rifle-
    (and we got the reloading set up this winter)

-took it down to Colorado for elk this past November...(and came back up with lots of .358 factory ammo-)

-maybe I'll get a picture of it up, here this week....

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ....I had my eye on this rifle for 2 years, at each gun show...-was finally in a postition to get it, last year...

-358 Norma on a 1903 Springfield action...(was rechambered from a .35 Whelen)

-Griffin and Howe quick release mount...

-sportorized, Douglass barrel

-took me a bit to get used to the length of pull on this action --
    ...but, I absolutely love this rifle-
    (and we got the reloading set up this winter)

-took it down to Colorado for elk this past November...(and came back up with lots of .358 factory ammo-)

-maybe I'll get a picture of it up, here this week....
    I suppose you are going to tell me they were practically giving the factory ammo away in a little hole in the wall gunshop somewhere
    Sounds like a beautiful gun, & I think you'll really like the cartridge. Seems like the all around Alaskan cartridge for Goats to moose & big bears to me.
    What bullet(s) are you using?

"MMcLaughlin
    Donor action is a Mod 70 classic in 300 wm. Length shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the replies. I am now thinking of making a 416 ruger instead. I will look at the 350 though. "

I'm not sure the 358 STA will work in that action (too long), but the 358 NM will.
    Vance in AK.

I have a 358 Norma on a p14 enfield action with 24" barrell. I am shooting some very old Barnes soft point 250grs at 2880fps (chrony) using 78grs IMR 4350. I'm using reformed 300Win brass and my chamber neck is a little long allowing me to trim the cases about .050 long. Makes for a nice long neck for bullet alignment. If the 358 Norma won't do the job, it's time to run.

[quote=Vance in AK;431370]I suppose you are going to tell me they were practically giving the factory ammo away in a little hole in the wall gunshop somewhere[/quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Sounds like a beautiful gun, & I think you'll really like the cartridge. Seems like the all around Alaskan cartridge for Goats to moose & big bears to me.
    What bullet(s) are you using?

"MMcLaughlin
    Donor action is a Mod 70 classic in 300 wm. Length shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the replies. I am now thinking of making a 416 ruger instead. I will look at the 350 though. "

I'm not sure the 358 STA will work in that action (too long), but the 358 NM will.

......yeah...-lol- the shelves were just teaming with .358 Norma ammo down there.....-

....no, I actually had the foresight to order from Midway ahead of time, and have it shipped to a friend's place down there.....-lol-

-250 gr Oryx......

Here is a 358 based on the 375 Ruger brass. Made here from the 375 Ruger basic brass. It is 2.570" long and fits the 30-06 length action with a bolt head cut to belted magnum dimensions. Ballistic performance is slightly ahead of the 358 Norma and slightly behind the 358 STA in a beltless case. From the left is the basic bras, the shoulder started in form die, the second form die, then the trimmed brass. The #5 case from the left is the 375 Ruger standard brass. The two loaded rounds, even though the pic makes them look uneven, they are the same finished case loaded with 275 grain Kodiak (L) and 280 Grain Swift A-frame. These are about 2800 fps at max.

This cartridge is a good design with no belt and standard length and standard magazine holds three rounds down.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    ............. I only had a short action, (thus the name 358wsm) for my build. ............ I currently push the 225 swift A-frame at around 2900 even (a true moose crusher). You will have to burn an awful lot more powder than I do in the STA to equal what I'm getting....

Is this from a 20" barreled 35 WSM and 225 grain A-frames? Explain, please.

This was one of the first WSM rounds I catted and was also set up with strain gages for my Oehler model 43 and I never saw this level of performance form the 22" barrel.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Is this from a 20" barreled 35 WSM and 225 grain A-frames? Explain, please.

This was one of the first WSM rounds I catted and was also set up with strain gages for my Oehler model 43 and I never saw this level of performance form the 22" barrel.
    No Murphy, these ballistics were from a 24" Pac-Nor barrel. I do not know what kind of pressures I'm getting as I do not have strain gages. I do know that 64 grains of H-4895 primed with a Federal Match Magnum Large rifle primer, I get smooth extraction, primers don't flatten, and things "look" good...but at 65 grains the bolt gets "sticky." My chrony is set about 20 feet from the muzzle. I will also add that H-4895 is "the" performer in this cartridge, giving me incredible accuracy and velocity...I'd expect to loose ft/sec. at 20" of barrel. Sorry if any previous postings about my 358WSM were misleading. And, I love the looks of that 358 built Off the Ruger Case