Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flys to tie

Default flys to tie

Well I'm about to make a run to the store to get some tying materials, and I was wondering what type of flies i should start tying up for spring time trout fishing. Mainly on the willow, montana, little su and surrounding streams, also around kenai. I've still got some stuff for the trusty ESL, so im looking for other options. Thanks.

Not big on tying myself, but I would want to have some smolt patterns (thunder creek, blue smolt, or similar) and matukas for the trout. Perhaps some #6 olive bead head woolly buggers (my fav for grayling). Also, #10 bead head zug bugs or prince nymphs for the grayling. You will need to make your own in the zug bug and prince nymph most likely. I can't ever find them any larger than 12.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default valley streams

The dolly llama has been a very productive fly for the valley streams. I have had the best luck with llamas tied in black and white.

Jake

hmm thanks for the info dan. And Jake, I have a dozen or so dally llamas, all in black and white, but they just never produced for me. Do they typicaly have a cone head on them? Because ive noticed it is just too heavy for most streams i fish in and seems to get stuck on the bottem too much. I have however fished them on the kenai in october and caught some large rainbows which was a surprise. I ran out of flesh so i decided to try it out because it was the only thing i had resembling flesh.

The only ones I have used were coneheads. Got the from www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com Some good pics there. Awesome place to buy flies from. I got the olive/white and they work well for big dollies. But like you said, it depends on the waters you are on.

I had some beadhead woolly buggers tied to my specs. And they worked very well. Just a size #4 beadhead woolly bugger, purple maribou body with pink hackle collar. A little lead wrap on the hook shank. When I got them in, I painted the heads pink to match the hackle and a touch of clear coat for durability. This fly tore the dollies up. I suspect it would do well on bows as well.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default llama

I always tie them with a cone head on them. I also tie them in different sizes, with different amount of weight tied in. You might try a size 6 with very little weight for the valley streams, and a size 2 or 4 with the front hook weighted for faster waters like the Kenai. When you fish them, are you adding any weight to your leader? Are you using a floating line? I usually loose a few to snags/bottom, but that is where I find fish too.

Jake

zonkers, lots of zonkers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    I always tie them with a cone head on them. I also tie them in different sizes, with different amount of weight tied in. You might try a size 6 with very little weight for the valley streams, and a size 2 or 4 with the front hook weighted for faster waters like the Kenai. When you fish them, are you adding any weight to your leader? Are you using a floating line? I usually loose a few to snags/bottom, but that is where I find fish too.

Jake

I never use any extra weight to my leader, and I use a floating line. I'll have to try tying a few, I haven't tied any myself before so i'll just experiment.

Default WB/ESL can be very versatile pattern...

The leech patterns we use up here, Woolly buggers and Egg-Sucking Leeches - can be tied light or heavy, short or long, dark or light, sparkly or flat, with long rabbit strip tails or short maribou tails... with eyes or not and all manner of variations. Be ready to offer fish something different any time of year.

1. Tied in white, they imitate smolt - for spring trout - and work well.

2. Different for me this Spring will be tie up some unweighted smolt patterns for working higher in the water column than usual - inspired by a comment Ak Powder Monkey made. Past few years, I've favored weighted leeches - wrapped with lead wire, then with heavy cones or dumbell eyes. But I think APM is right, the fish will go where the smolt are.

Best of luck this Spring... only 3 or 4 more months...

Default Dolly lama for the Kenai

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    hmm thanks for the info dan. And Jake, I have a dozen or so dally llamas, all in black and white, but they just never produced for me. Do they typicaly have a cone head on them? Because ive noticed it is just too heavy for most streams i fish in and seems to get stuck on the bottem too much. I have however fished them on the kenai in october and caught some large rainbows which was a surprise. I ran out of flesh so i decided to try it out because it was the only thing i had resembling flesh.
    I had excellent success with green and white dolly lamas on the Kenai last fall. In fact, I've been tying them pretty dilligently for the last couple of weeks (I'm a slow tier). I've come to the conclusion that given the size of these things, I'm going to have to buy another large fly box just for these and other articulated flies like them.

I only fish these in deep water. For small streams, it might be worth tying some smaller, lightly weighted patterns. Hmmm.....

I tied a few last week with "I-Balz" instead of a cone head, as well. I have no idea if it will work, but much of the "research" says many game fish key-in on the eyes of their prey. I can't see why it wouldn't work at least as well...We'll have to see this spring, I guess.

I love catching trout on beads, flesh and nymphs, but there is just something about catching them on streamers and dry flies. I think it's the fact that every strike comes as a surprise. I'm half expecting it, and hoping for it, but when it actually happens, it is so violent and swift, that it takes me by surprise.

if there happen to be smolt migrating on the surface you will want a sparsely weighted thunder creek

You tyers seen this site?:
    http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?

Anohter online source..

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/index.html

Some of the more popular Alaska patterns are here with good instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

I had some beadhead woolly buggers tied to my specs. And they worked very well. Just a size #4 beadhead woolly bugger, purple maribou body with pink hackle collar.

No pictures of the pink hackle flies, but here are some pics of the same flies I had someone make. You can only see the purple and olive maribou in the picture, but half was white maribou and half was colored. This pattern worked very well on the dollies/grayling. Just thought I would show you a picture.

Default Another Cool Tying Link.

Here's a link to a site with some really good step-by-step videos on how to tie various patterns that would all be good in AK.

http://www.flyandfloatfishing.com/fly_tying_videos.htm

Are there any tying instructions for the Dolly Lamma around? Looks like a productive fly. I can't believe there is a pattern that I have never tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I tied a few last week with "I-Balz" instead of a cone head, as well. I have no idea if it will work, but much of the "research" says many game fish key-in on the eyes of their prey. I can't see why it wouldn't work at least as well...We'll have to see this spring, I guess.
    Scott, check these out
    http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/prod-Cross_Eyed_Cones-17845.aspx

While we're talking fly-tying websites, this is a good one for AK
    http://www.akflyfishers.com/flyofmonth.html

I haven't seen a how-to-tie online for Dolly Llama. Look at the pics on www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com, but it's basically a cone head rabbit leach with an accent color and some flash. The trick is that it uses a stinger hook on a string. The easiest thing is probably to buy one and take a look at it in hand - I"m not doing a very good job explaining.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Are there any tying instructions for the Dolly Lamma around? Looks like a productive fly. I can't believe there is a pattern that I have never tried!
    compliments of AKPM
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=lama
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I was wrong about the pattern in that post however I've caught a lot of fish on that fly too

Here's the pattern as its sold
    Hooks: Clipped shank, waddington shank and stinger hook
    Weight: Large Cone Head
    Tail: Dark (olive, black etc) Rabbit extenting to back of stinger hook
    Body: Wrapped Dark Rabbit, bunny fly style
    Belly: Light (white usually) rabbit extended to end of the body
    Sides: Thick silver tinsel

Directions:
    Put conehead on hook
    Create stinger chassi
    Tie in tail to end of stinger hook tie to stinger hook or poke hook through rabbit strip
    Tie in dark rabbit fur wrap forward to the cone, tie off
    tie in belly rabbit strip on bottom of the fly
    tie in sides
    whip finish
    swing low

here's what it looks like

I tie a lot of mine on tubes because the stinger hook doesn't add to the action like some articulted patters also because I can put a bead between the hook and the fly making an egg $h!*ting sculpin. I also tie mine with dumbell eyes instead of a cone and build up a head with sculpin yarn. The dumbells have two functions, function 1 is so I can have eyeballs which trigger fish to hit (cross eyed cones can be used for this), function two is so that I can keep the white part on the bottom of the fly when its fishing much like a real sculpin.

Default Dolly Lama

I tie mine a little bit differently. I use a 3x or 4x long hook for the rear hook and wrap it with a rabbit strip, just like a flesh fly. I tie a half a dozen or so at a time to this stage and then tie dacron backing material to them with just a regular cinch knot. I then tie a half-hitch to a point just opposite of the point on the shank of the front hook. Wrap the dacron 4 or 5 times up the shank, run it out through the eye of the cone (already on the shank of course) through the eye, back through the cone, then secure the mess with tying thread making an even thread base to start tying the front hook. the rest of the pattern is probably exactly the same. This way the stinger hook does add to the action like any other articulated pattern. Nobody ever showed me how to tie these this way. I just looked at one in a bin at WWA one day and decided to go home and try it. I had never tied an articulated pattern before, so it took me a while to figure out how to keep the hooks from coming apart from each other, but this method seems to work. I've landed some good-sized silvers on these with no problems.

I just discovered the cross eyed cones you guys are talking about a couple of weeks ago. I've tied a couple of very fishy looking buggers with them but I haven't used them on a DL yet. That's my next order of fly-tying business.

Here's a pic of a dolly lama I tied a couple of nights ago; maybe not as pretty as some, but they do catch fish very well. The second pic is a smallish, but feisty rainbow with one of these deadly flies hanging from his mouth. (Sorry about the sunlight on the second pic. It was one of the few sunny days we had last fall! What I wouldn't give to be there right now, though!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3323.JPG   IMG_1246.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast