Thread: just got back from looking at land in homer and seward area

Default just got back from looking at land in homer and seward area

i found some land between the areas of homer and seward areas. found a two acres sized lot.. that a couple was selling in that had a lot a things that i liked in the area for building my home with good roads going into and out of the anchorage area for shoping and do some other things
    made a offer to person that was selling the land ..and took some pictures of the area ..
    the person in that was selling the land show me a set of photos from the summer time and told me alot about the land when went to lunch that day..they saw my list of things about the land and they told me that was a smart thing ..i told them i had need on the alaska outdoors forum and was givein a lot tips on buying land up thank you people for the info
    talked to a couple of home builders up there that do monolithic domes homes in the area and they give me a couple of ideas for some diff things to do with the dome home that i want to do..
    like the area there and meet some nice poeple when i was looking around the area..
    the local place that i went to eat at a couple times down there was a nice place to go to ..
    found anchorage put easly to get around ,.. it to be easly to drive with the street layed out in a nice set up to get around in the city
    i stayed at the holiday inn express there .. it nice place to stay..
    the only problem that i found that my phone did not work up there with my service that i have ,.i have to change companys when i move
    the only problem i had was flying out with my duty weapon was geting on the plane in tx area..
    the person that was helping me find the land..thought it was funny that i had a cold weather survival bag when they showed up to pick me up..
    they said most people do not think that far ahead when they are comeing to alaska for a vist in the winter time..
    th only problem i had with cold was my hands got a little stiff at times ,,but i that was cause of the gloves i had for cold weather wear was not design for driveing ..i bought a set of thin gloves at local wally word up for for use in the car ..
    some of the prices of things was a little bit high i thought when i saw of the items in the local stores to what i was used to paying for some of the items that i bought in my home state..
    i did find that gas prices where the same in my home state areas for gas for the car ..
    plus i need some idea about what car dealer to go to for buy a local auto dealership and who to stay away from and want to get on the truck for my winter time driveing

i have to add this everyone i met up there was super nice ,.when i hitting them a lot questions they seam to take it with stide and keep giveing me back good info on the ideas that i was asking about

Leavenworth Wa.

Default Dome home...

Hi Henry, just curious why you folks chose a dome home.Thanks.GR

Default Roof Leaks On Dome Homes

FYI I have heard some real horror stories about roof leaks on the dome style homes. Mostly associated with the freeze and thaw cycles we have in Alaska.

i saw from there website about earthquakes ..and how they work from protecting the people inside the home..
    the reason why the domes leaked for not sealed right in the first place and with new typle seals for the domes
    most of the domes that leaked where rushed to get them ready for winter time

I'm not too excited about domes either. Primarily it has to do with the roofs. They are hard to keep from leaking.
    Wasilla Real Estate News

Are you guys referring to monolithic domes? Leaking?

Those things are bullet, bomb, earthquake, tornado, little kid, fire, great white shark proof. If they're built properly they should last a few hundred years at least. Assuming that you in some way protect the outer airform.

Random, but I think it's a mistake that people try to build them up on the inside like normal homes with drywall and what not. A loft type interior plan seems more appropriate. If I ever built one I'd put a solar tracking skylight on the top and build the interior from steel and concrete. I weld though so... I guess that's more appealing to me.

Here's a link to a page showing how efficient domes are at keeping heat in.

One must wonder why you don't see many and for sure in Califorina. My dad sold them in Florida in the 50's part time along with bomb shelters,zero sales for him but a few did build them. The big thing is no matter if its good or bad someone will buy it if you decide to sell.

If you like domes, do it! It's your dream cabin, needs to be built your way. Modern roofing materials will seal it up like a clam with lockjaw, as long as an experienced and qualified roofing contractor does the work and makes sure that overlaps of any of the material go the right direction. I'd get an iron clad, long term guarantee from the roofer and not rely on your general contractor.

Hope you tour several of them before going that route though. The structural benefits might be nice, but how often do traditional houses collapse? I'm sure there are horror stories here and there, but modern structural design and codes are very good.

Around here (Montana) some were built but they don't resell unless they're way below market prices. Resell problem is based on the looks of the home and the quality (see below). If it's your last house and you don't care if it resells, who cares? Do it! A buddy of mine has a neighbor that put one up, looks like crap in a neighborhood with traditional homes. He was pissed but then understood that if he wanted every house to look "proper" he should have built in a subdivision with covenants. His land was cheap and now his resale will be lower because people will have to look at a dome home that's falling apart on the next lot.

Leakage, bad quality siding, etc, around here was due to the dome home builders being more excited about being different than doing a good job building a structure. Frankly, arrogant but well meaning non-traditionalist earth people who didn't have the sense to ask experienced builders how to properly put up a structure, insulate it, wire it, roof it, heat it. One was hilarious, about 20 years ago. He obviously had to look different (cloths, car, hair, hats, boots, etc.) and moved to Montana from butt-scratch Maine or something. He just knew that his ways were better and that he'd start a revolution and dome home would pop up everywhere. His was a disaster. If he'd have asked an experienced builder, followed codes and didn't misrepresent dome home benefits it might have been fine.

Me? I'll most likely never be able to put up my dream cabin in Alaska. If so, before I went dome home I'd have a pro/con list a mile long and make sure that each dome home benefit was real and, if it was real, that the benefit outweighed the downsides.

Congrats on finding your lot. Hope to have a chance to do that someday.

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    i saw from there website about earthquakes ..and how they work from protecting the people inside the home..
    the reason why the domes leaked for not sealed right in the first place and with new typle seals for the domes
    most of the domes that leaked where rushed to get them ready for winter time
    Mother Nature is going to do what she does in spite of what you build.

Meaning you build a dome to protect yourself from an earthquake*, and you'll loose your place to a flood. Or a fire. Or heaving. Or?

If your concern is being safe during an earthquake, I'd get my but out of the building I'm in and get out in to the open as much as possible.

*A bad enough earthquake, I'd bet money my chalet style cabin and your dome will both collapase.

Beaver Creek

With a little care and engineering, a dome should look good in most neighborhoods. Nothing says that you cannot use rock walls, etc... to accent. Good luck on your project.

first off let me say iam sorry that i have not posted here in a few days
    not gotten back to your post here
    i have been talking to the shipping company about getting the 40.ft and a 20.ft shipping container filled with my stuff up there
    and getting the final set of the blue prints ready to be sent up there for the city and county approvel for my home
    getting ready to get all my medical and other things ready to go and the list goes on for the big move come may..
    i have been like a chicken with my head cut off trying to work and talk to the builders and other people setting up all the things that need to be done
    i plan on shipping most of the items i need in two shipping container for supplies and household goods to be sent up there by ship..
    and getting my firearms ready to travel by all mean need for the special items that i have..