Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest

Talking Rest

I know that there are a lot of opinions here and I am hoping for some between two different types of rests. Whisker Biscuit or fall away? Which one do I want to use? I am using a biscuit now and I am tired of it tearing up my fletching. Is the new B2 biscuits really better or do I want to switch to a fall away or.................?

I can't recall the name of what I have off the top of my head - I'll get my bow out later and find out - but I feel like it's the best of both worlds. It is a fall away that locks up and has a bar over the top so that it holds the arrow in place until the shot is taken. I get the accuracy of a fall away with the security of the whisker biscuit. Love it!

My wife has a capture rest on hers, similar to a whisker biscuit but with notches for the fletchings to pass through untouched. Seems like a great rest.

Default I had the same problem

Went to a ripcord fallaway and it's working great.

I have the Trophy Ridge drop away rest and love it.

http://www.trophyridge.com/arrow-rests/dropzone/

Trophy ridge shakey hunter all the way. Whisker's get frozen when water is introduced on cold days. Great for indoor ranges or warm weather. Not so great for Alaska weather.

The Trophy Taker Xtreme FC angled slot is my recomendation. I would get the one with the rubber armor on it.

http://www.trophytaker.com/xtremefc_as.aspx

My wife has it on her bow. This rest contains the arrow very well. I have a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, I like this rest very much and is great to shoot with, but no arrow containment. If you would like to try FOBs you will need a drop away rest.

I believe this is the rest Brian is recomending. It would be my second choice. Only because you must manually lock the rest up for arrow containment.
    http://www.qadinc.com/c-5-.aspx

I will second the Trophy Taker Xtreme FC angled slot. I had a problem with the biscuit tearing up my arrows too and decided to go with something differant and dont regret it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...It is a fall away that locks up and has a bar over the top so that it holds the arrow in place until the shot is taken....
    Sounds like a ripcord. Wish that would've worked on my bow!!
    My wife has a capture rest on hers, similar to a whisker biscuit but with notches for the fletchings to pass through untouched. Seems like a great rest.
    Quicktune 360?

I can't recall the name of what I have off the top of my head - I'll get my bow out later and find out - but I feel like it's the best of both worlds. It is a fall away that locks up and has a bar over the top so that it holds the arrow in place until the shot is taken. I get the accuracy of a fall away with the security of the whisker biscuit. Love it!

Brian - Yours is a Ripcord and hers is a Octane Hostage. Two of my favorite-bullet proof systems.

BowTech has another one on the way under their Octane Line call the TripWire ... I am pretty excited about it's arrivial in the shop and can wait to put it though it's paces as well. A few more of my favorites are VaporTrails LimbDiver, Spot Hogg Whammy and the SVL Fall Away.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I had my concerns about the moving parts on a fall away rest in adverse weather. Nobody has mentioned that yet, so is that a none issue? I am going to take a look at all of these you guys have mentioned. I archery hunted close to twenty years ago for a few years and I haven't done it since. Things sure have changed. I bought a bow last year and I am easing back in to just shooting right now. The bow I bought came with a biscuit on it and I noticed this fletching problem after shooting a while. Thanks again for the input.

I started out with a Whisker Biscuit and found it way to hard on fletching and didn't trust it in a winter hunt. I was always very fond of a TM Hunter but too many parts and keeping shrink wrap on the tines is a pain in the butt. Put on a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone on my bow and found it to be the cats meow. I feel it improved my accuracy also. I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by PM Asman View Post
    Brian - Yours is a Ripcord and hers is a Octane Hostage. Two of my favorite-bullet proof systems.
    Dang, forgot that name for a second....the Hostage!!

Guessing that you sold them, you're probably right!

Default WB fletcing problems

Just curious what type of fletching folks are using who are having problems with Whisker Biscuits.... I had a buddy who had the same problems back when the WB first came out of his fletching warping (I assume due to heat caused by friction). Then I heard the newer versions used softer whiskers to help alleviate the problem of ripping / warping fletching. My buddy changed his fletching and that seemed to fix the problem for him. I've shot my WB for several years with Blazer fletching and never had a problem, though I think the Blazers are a bit thicker than some other fletching. The drop aways certainly allow more flexibility in fletching style: plastic, feathers, FOBs.

I use plastic vanes and noticed that in cold temps the vanes are a little stiffer and in freezing temperatures especially with a little moisture in the are, the whisker biscuit also stiffens up and the combination of both factors tears up the vanes.

Smile WB fletching problems

Shear,
    I have Carbon Force radial xweave arrows, and never lost a fletching due to the WB.

I also have Carbon Express arrows. The fletchings did not hold up after 1 or 2 shots.

I then stripped the fletchings, and re-fletched with Quick Fletch, quick spin hunter stl. I only has a few shots with those, but I have concerns about them holding up. They just don't look right.

I have purchased FOBs and had to remove the WB and re-install my Ripcord rest. I am trying the FOBs out to test claims of increased accuracy. However, my wife won't let me put a target bag behind the xmas tree so I can shoot inside.

Default Ripcord

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I had my concerns about the moving parts on a fall away rest in adverse weather.
    Its a non-issued, The only problem i had with my Ripcord was in -10 below. During the recent cold snap i was getting a little bit of cabin fever and decided to go out side and shoot, I had just got my draw length adjusted but didnt adjust the relase string on my Ripcord. The rest didnt fall away and ripped 2 fletchings off my arrow and broke the plastic launcher. It wasnt a fault of the launcher, it was mine for not adjusting the rest. Ripcord sent me two new launchers with no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by PM Asman View Post

BowTech has another one on the way under their Octane Line call the TripWire ... I am pretty excited about it's arrivial in the shop and can wait to put it though it's paces as well. A few more of my favorites are VaporTrails LimbDiver, Spot Hogg Whammy and the SVL Fall Away.
    Paul - just curious on the Hostage rests. I've read those style of rests have had a lot of issues with the fibers wearing down very quickly. Any comments/concerns on that issue? I like the looks of them but don't want to be replacing the fibers every couple hundred shots or so. Thanks.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default containment rest

i just got a qad ultra rest its made by quality archery designs it works great so far

Talking

I too am on the list of guys who dumped th WB and switched to the Trophy ridge drop zone. By far the best rest I have ever used.

Default Trophy Ridge A+

I really like Trophy Ridge Drop Zone it drops straight down a lot faster .
    I like it so much i bought another one
    for my second bow a week ago on ebay ,good deals there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast