Thread: Wolf and coyote bullets

Default Wolf and coyote bullets

I know this question has been asked many times before but they were never very conclusive on an answere. So one more time. What is the preferred type of bullet that would do the least amount of damage to a pelt but also not let them run very far. I've heard about the fmj same in same out story. Hollow points tend to blow out but not always. Poly tips??? But what about soft points??? Oh by the way, Im talkinf 224 cal. Any info is good info. As always, thanks for the input.

Up to a wolf size if it makes a difference

.22 barnes x if they group well in your rifle. They expand and won't blow up yuor pelt like fast expanding varmint type bullets at high speed.

Default more info needed

Anyone have more info on this topic. I have a 221 fireball would like to know of a good pelt friendly bullet for fox. lynx, coyotes. I have the new rifle and would like to work up a good stand round for calling most shots will be under 100yrds

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Anyone have more info on this topic. I have a 221 fireball would like to know of a good pelt friendly bullet for fox. lynx, coyotes. I have the new rifle and would like to work up a good stand round for calling most shots will be under 100yrds

Found this article which may be of interest.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...49/ai_99145175

In my 22-250 I would load Varmint Hollow Points like V-Max, mainly because they shot well and I had confidence in them.
    There are a lot of variables when hitting a coyote but I suggest finding a Hp Varmint bullet in the 40-52gr range that shoots well then experiment with velocity to get the accuracy you want at the expected max range.
    If you are calling coyotes then expect shots from 20 to 300 yards depending on the terrain.
    Of course the closer the range the more chance of pelt damage, depending on where the animal takes the hit. Broadside shots can get messy if shots are within 35 yards.
    I like head shots when I can get them and second choice is frontal. Sometimes you see them from a distance and get all the time in the world. Many times they will come in and stop 50 or 100 yards away if they think something is not right and hang there for 5 or more seconds. At that point they will usually turn and leave, but not always.
    Other times the come in fast from behind and only give you a second or two to shoot. It gets tougher when two or three come in at the same time. After you shoot the first one don't get up and continue to call for another 5 minutes as more are probably on the way in.
    I only use hollow points, adjusting to the impact point depending on the range. I have only had a few run off more then a couple of yards. Most all drop in their tracks with a snap of the tail when they go down.
    Hide holes are not the end of the world and are easily sewn up.

Thank you for the info. I will be shooting the new rifle when I get home from the slope. I have some 55 gr hornady sxsp 50 gr sp and some nosler 40 gr with the plastic tip. Along with the older factory 50 gr sp and newer factory 50 gr plastic tip. I new to this preditor stuff but figured I would give it a shot. Something to do in the winter and I would like to hang a few hides in my new home. I open to all info and enjoy reading the forum. Thanks again Bill

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Default Barnes varmit grenade bullet

Read an article in NRA Hunter mag. about Barnes Varmit Grenade bullets and how they disintegrate after entering the animal and little damage to the hide. Black Hills ammunition makes a 223 shell with this bullet but haven't been able to find them in Fairbanks. Have bugged Sportsmans Ware. about getting them ,but seems a major hurdle for them to order something not bought in bulk by the parent co. Sounded like a great varmit bullet.

Default Varmit bullets

I shot my .223 2nd 22-250 using Winchester 40/45gr (respectively) in USA Brand. Their inexpensive and work very well! Have found very little pelt damage UNLESS shot within 50yds or so. I always aim for a shoulder shot, not saying that's where I always hit but close! I carry a few FMJ for close in shots or should I have to dispose of a "trapped" animal. They work well on foxes/coyote/wolves. Alhtough I will say that wolves in the 300yd range usually need more than 1 shot from my .223. and the 22-250 is a little large for foxes at -100yds. Hope this helps.

I use military .62 grn bullets in my 22-250 and they work great with little pelt damage. they are the green tip bullets.

I use Hornady AMax 52 gr. in my 22-250 and 223. They are very accurate and do not blow a big hole. I also like the 52 gr sierra benchrest BT. JMO. I do expect that one of these days we will have a wolf hunt in Montana and will get a chance to see how they work on a big dog. Soon, but not soon enough. J.