Thread: Bow Fishing

Default Bow Fishing

I couldn't find anything in the regs in a quick search for bow fishing. Is this allowed for salmon? In stream or salt water?

This varies with state:

Some define fishing as only with a fishing rod and line, others talk about "other methods" such as nets and spears and explosives - and restrictions or allowances where/when. When you find out - post it here.

It's not allowed in California in any salmon or steelhead waters, but that is not Alaska.

you can do it for pike in SC and for salmon is some situations, I think under a subsistence or maybe P/U permit all I know is that folks bowfish for salmon at sweetheart creek south of juneau

I think you can also use a bow for whitefish in some areas
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

FYI:
    Freshwater sport fishing: (1) A person may not take fish in fresh water with (a) a fixed or weighted hooks and lures (except those of standard manufacture), (b) multiple hooks with gap between point and shank larger than 1/2 inch, unless permitted in the area regulations in the Arctic-Yukon-Kuskokwim area, (c) spear, unless permitted by the area regulations, or (d) arrow, unless permitted by the area regulations. (2) It is unlawful to intentionally snag or attempt to snag any fish in fresh water. Fish unintentionally hooked elsewhere than the mouth must be released immediately. "Snag" means to hook a fish elsewhere than in the mouth.

Also, talked to fish and game about subsistance regs. Bowfishing is not allowed under subsistance regs either.

you can use them for pike in SCAK, I wonder what sweetheart creek falls under...

Thanks for the info
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have YET to hear of anyone fishing with a bow at Sweetheart.

Besides the fact that it is illegal to take salmon with a bow in SE, it seems that it would be a futile effort, especially at that place. Plenty of spear divers, more of those idiots every year messin' it up for everyone else.

Two years ago bowfishing for salmon was opened up under a "traditional methods" proposal at the Dillingham Board of Fish meeting, it was only in the Kvichak system somewhere and somehow couched so that it was basically local residents only....as I recall anyhow. That's the only instance I know of.