Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasport Sportsman 2200

Default Seasport Sportsman 2200

What do you guys think about this boat? Does anybody have one? They appear to be a big 22'.

You can't go wrong with that one. That was our last boat. It is one of the best vessels in it's class for PWS and Cooks Inlet. We moved up to the 24' for the cabin space.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Most of them are fine boats. But, some of the earlier ones handled horribly due to their design. I almost bought one with a 350 once. It was expensive, not very well kept, had 1200 hours on the engine, the brakes were shot on the trailer so they cut the steel lines for some unknown reason, and he wanted 30 grand for it. What a deal, huh. I personally would side step the 22 for the 27 if you can afford it. It is a much more versatile boat that burns about the same insane amount of fuel. The way I look at it, you may as well have the bigger boat.

SeaSports are very popular, rugged, well made boats. The 22' model is one of the most popular.

Don't believe the 22' SeaSport burns an "insane" amount of fuel--at least not for a vessel of its type (deep-v planing hull). If it does, then there are a lot of insane boaters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    SeaSports are very popular, rugged, well made boats. The 22' model is one of the most popular.

Don't believe the 22' SeaSport burns an "insane" amount of fuel--at least not for a vessel of its type (deep-v planing hull). If it does, then there are a lot of insane boaters out there.
    Nope, boaters are not insane.... they do burn a lot of gas. Never said that. And, like you said, it comes with the territory. However, when you compare it to how much gas the average Ford Focus burns per hour, it is pretty shocking how much gas is used. I call it insane (especially at 5+ dollars per gallon like last summer), you call it whatever you want. Heck, last summer I thought I needed to get my head checked when I went out in my boat (3-5 gph) at those prices.

Default Great boats

I had one with a 115hp outboard for 23 years and loved every day I had it. Only sold it to upgrade to a 28' Glacier Craft. I paid 19 grand for it new in 83 and sold it for 15 grand in 06.

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    I had one with a 115hp outboard for 23 years and loved every day I had it. Only sold it to upgrade to a 28' Glacier Craft. I paid 19 grand for it new in 83 and sold it for 15 grand in 06.

Good thing I didn't come across yours, I probably would have bought it. Like you said, they are good boats. And, because of their reputation even the ones that have been beat to hell with little care demand a high price. I think I like them best with outboards.

Default Sent you a PM

There everywhere for good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Nope, boaters are not insane.... they do burn a lot of gas. Never said that. And, like you said, it comes with the territory. However, when you compare it to how much gas the average Ford Focus burns per hour, it is pretty shocking how much gas is used. I call it insane (especially at 5+ dollars per gallon like last summer), you call it whatever you want. Heck, last summer I thought I needed to get my head checked when I went out in my boat (3-5 gph) at those prices.
    Can you explain why you would compare a ocean boat to a economy car

I heard that AK Mining & Diving stopped selling Sea Sports because the quality went down. Any word on that?

My guess would be that SS stopped selling to AMDS because their "quality" is down. Good products, terrible support.

we had a 24' explorer and liked it so much we bought a 30'. we sold our 24' for almost the same price as we bought it for. I think are old one had a 5.3 in it. The fuel economy wasn't bad at all. It's hard trying to compare a boat the "same" size, because the only thing in common is length. When I went to Bellingham to get our new boat the president of seasport told me the 22 and 24 are there best hulls. good luck with the boat you'll love
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Can you explain why you would compare a ocean boat to a economy car
    AK Gramps,

I'm not. I am comparing something that has good fuel mileage to something that is not so great. But hey, boats use lots of gas. I have no problem with it. I have a boat and it uses a lot of gas. It is just rather shocking when you put 50-100 gallons of gas (if you're lucky) in your boat and it costs you 250-500 dollars at the dock. I think that is a lot of money for one day on the water.

While it has been a couple of years, I did inquire about Seasport boats at Alaska Mining and Diving. They liked selling them as they sold themselves, but they stopped carrying them (so they say anyway) because the company would not always pay for repairs that were clearly covered under warranty. Makes sense, but I'm not sure I believe that wild excuse.

While it is not close, the last time I priced out new Seasports was at that dealership in Mt Vernon. They were by far the cheapest of anywhere in the NW. Not that somebody else wouldn't deal......There's always deals.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find a good one for the right price before the hard water turns soft.

I'm not sure and can't varify; But rumor is, Sea Sport didn't need the BS of AKMD. AKMD doesn't have the C-Dory dealership either, same reason. I wouldn't let AKMD sell my kids lemonade for ten bucks a cup!

At last boat show after the year they had SS and CD, I asked the sales guys and owner some questions I already new the answers for, they all contradicted each other in classic cover up fashion.

So who in Alaska now sells Sea Sports or C-Dorys? Always enjoyed looking at them at the boat show.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    So who in Alaska now sells Sea Sports or C-Dorys? Always enjoyed looking at them at the boat show.
    seward heavy industrial was selling SeaSport
    Boatless

Question

Seward was the place (short lived), it sounds like they just work on them and have parts, but no sales anymore. I see a few used sitting around there still. What happened in Seward I haven't heard.?????

I'm not sure I never asked, Jerry does all of the work on our boat. I know if you have volvo's use jerry. I went to noha's marine ( I think that's what it's called in Anchorage) and didn't have any luck. I beleive he still has a 24' explorer for sale (new) and maybe a 27' flybridge (used).
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    My guess would be that SS stopped selling to AMDS because their "quality" is down. Good products, terrible support.
    AMDS stopped selling Sea Sports because AMDS did not the ability to do any competent warranty work on the boats themself.
    Once I stopped taking my Sea Sport back to AMDS I was finally able to get Noahs Marine to properly install the outdrive and bellows.

AMDS loves to take on a new boat line every couple of years and then to discontinue it. Watched them do this with C Dory and Sea Sport. Not sure if they carry the Olympic line anymore either.
    Tennessee

Thanks for all of you help so far. I am trying to help a friend of mine get the right boat. Here is the boat that I am suggesting http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/989645021.html but since I have a 24' boat he is hesitant about this one. I think he would be plenty happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast