Thread: Fairbanks Handicapped hunt

Default Fairbanks Handicapped hunt

I am looking into the Fairbanks Handicapped hunt for a friend who is in a wheelchair. He seems to think it is just for vetrans.. the question is, is it or is it open to anyone who is handicapped.

Thanks for any input

Ltlbucks

There was an article about that hunt in the ADN last week. It said you have to be a member of the Handicapped Veterans of America, but to become a member you don't have to be a veteran, just handicapped. It sounds like the odds of getting drawn for the tag are pretty slim and in three years of doing the hunt they've only ever taken one small bull.

Default Handicapped hunt

ltlbucks,

Send me an email and we can chat about the hunt, I started the moose hunt 4 years ago with John at Chena lakes in North Pole. Starting next year we are going to be including an alaskan resident on every hunt if possible, when we started the hunt we were not familiar with any in wheelchairs that were interested in hunting. This year after the first Fairbanks article came out we were contacted be a recently injured Iraqi vet from Ft. Wainwright that was wounded and we took him out hunting with us, fortunately he is not bound to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

This year we had the almost summer weather and a full moon to deal with and we hardly saw any moose at all, usually we see 20-30 cows a day and last year we saw a total of 5 bulls during the same hunt. unfortunately when in a wheelchair it is very difficult to close a 6-700 yard gap for a shot.

Shoot me an email and I can fill you in about the hunt for your buddy and some of the other hunts and fishing trips in Alaska I am working on to start next year.

Doug

Default Disabled hunt

Do we have anyone from around the Fairbanks area that might be interested in volunteering to help on this hunt next year?

A volunteer mainly stays with the hunter in his blind and potentially acts as a back up gun.

Next year I have commited to the hunt, Hunting Across America TV show, Country singer Luke Stricklin, Ken Onion (Knife designer for Kershaw), Steve Michels (Kershaw) and a rep from SureFire. Craig Boddington left for Africa today and and will confirm his schedule upon his return next month he is optomistic he can make it as he has missed the last few years and is on our board.

Anyone that might have an idea of a hunt that I can put together after the disabled hunt for those above please throw them my way, I am thinking caribou might be the best bet.

If interested please shoot me an email

Thanks,

Doug
    dwpva@biggamehuntinggear.com