Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Alaska, where to carry?

Default Trip to Alaska, where to carry?

Hi All,
    The 4 of us are Flying into Vancouver and catching the Sapphire Princess to Whittier then hitting Mt. McKinley, Denali, and then Fairbanks Via train, then flying out of Fairbanks back to Columbia, IL.
    Hope to see some of you.
    May 16-28
    I have FL, and UT, CCW.
    I am trying to see how to get my gun to Alaska so I can carry or, just buy one in Whittier and carry around Alaska and fly back with it to IL.
    Anyone know if this could work?
    Greg G

Quote Originally Posted by Navy80to04 View Post
    Hi All,
    The 4 of us are Flying into Vancouver
    I believe I would forego bringing one with me. I don't think you will ever get it into Canada. I would suggest stoping in Anchorage (since it is on the way to your other locations) to purchase a new firearm of your choosing. I am not sure what Whittier has as for as stores...whereas Anchorage has everything.

Here is a link to the Alaska CCW page:
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx

Hope this helps.

obviously you've never been to Whittier lol You can send it to a dealer in Anchorage. Last time I did it it was about $50. No gun stores in Whittier that I know of.

Default leave it

you can't carry it anywhere you listed but Fairbanks anyway. I'd take my chances there.

Default Guns in Canada

First you will not be able to get it into Canada by way of the airport if it is a pistol without a lot of paper work before.

I don't think you can carry it on the ship but i would check that out to confirm. You will still be in Canadan waters

If you are looking to buy a pistol in AK well that will not happen either if you are not a resident. That is a federal law, u can how ever buy a rifle or shoot gun as a non resident. Your CCW's are both fine for here but it does not get you a pistol in AK.

If you have a friend here you can send it by mail in seprate parts to your self and that is legal. That is from the post office, or just send it to a FFL and pick it up when you get here. Return trip you can just fly home with it no problem.
    Regards T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    ...If you have a friend here you can send it by mail in seprate parts to your self and that is legal. That is from the post office, or just send it to a FFL and pick it up when you get here. Return trip you can just fly home with it no problem.
    Regards T

Whoaaaaaaaa!

Advice you get on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it.
    From the ATF site:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Also, disassembly of a firearm does nothing for you when shipping. The frame is considered the firearm even if shipped without any other parts.

Default Good Advice is hard to come by

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    Whoaaaaaaaa!

From the ATF site:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

(Edited for brevity, see this original post for the full text)

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Also, disassembly of a firearm does nothing for you when shipping. The frame is considered the firearm even if shipped without any other parts.
    Navy80to04

(In advance) Welcome to Alaska. I hope you have a good time.

Most of the posts here have an element of truth, but this one hits closest to the mark, which is, "Go to the authoritative source".

Or, to put it most alarmingly, " Find out who will arrest you and prosecute you, and ask them."

The easy (most risk-free) way is to contact a Federal Firearms Licensee in Alaska and ask if they will coordinate with a FFL Licensee in your State to ship the gun into Alaska for you to pick it up here. Plenty of privately owned gunshops who can do that for you. Anchorage Telephone Utility Yellow Pages are on line. We also have a Sportsmen's Warehouse (doing business with a chain having stores in both states might be convenient for you if they are willing.)

The (B9) paragraph above seems to say from the appropriate authority that you could ship a fully assembled (unloaded) firearm through the mail, but I would check with both web sites and human beings (take their names) at both the Post Office and the BATF.

You may consider shipping through UPS or Federal Express or air freight (regular air freight or something like Alaska Airlines Gold Streak) for you to pick up in Anchorage. Timing might be an issue, but easily overcome.

When I drove up (crossed the US/Canada border near Great Falls, Montana) I carried all my guns' parts (barrels, slides, cylinders, grips) EXCEPT the serial-numbered parts through Canada. Both handguns and rifles. But the parts that qualify as GUNS went between two U.S. Federal Firearms Licensees I had made prior arrangements with. If I recall correctly, since I was the owner at both ends, I did not have to do the Federal Form, but that was 28 years ago and I might have forgotten.

Lost Sheep

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

You cannot transport any handgun into Canada by sea, air or land! Don't try and don't believe anything different.

I do not think you can carry a concealed handgun in Alaska unless you, a) have a permit from another state or you, b) are a residence of Alaska.

You cannot ship a handgun via U.S. Mail. You can ship to a dealer (FFL holder) via common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc)

You cannot buy a handgun in Alaska if you are a residence of another state, except if stationed here on orders, etc.

If you are a resident of Illinois, check your state laws regarding carrying, shipping, owning or even looking at a handgun.

Handguns and long guns have different ATF rules.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I do not think you can carry a concealed handgun in Alaska unless you, a) have a permit from another state or you, b) are a residence of Alaska.

Non-residents can carry by virtue of just being here. Besides, he's covered anyway with his FL and UT CHL as Alaska recognized all states.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Non-residents can carry by virtue of just being here. Besides, he's covered anyway with his FL and UT CHL as Alaska recognized all states.

Could you find that statute for me, I've been unable to find it.

The one that says anyone passing through the state can carry a concealed handgun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Could you find that statute for me, I've been unable to find it.

The one that says anyone passing through the state can carry a concealed handgun.
    Is this it?

I have not thoroughly read the whole statute, but this seems to permit anyone otherwise permitted to own a handgun to carry, and does not specifically require residency in Alaska, unless such residency is required elsewhere in the statutes.

Alaska Statute 11.61.220

Also, see
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx

Lost Sheep

There's a lot of misinformation out there. I hope I am decreasing, rather than increasing it.

Whoaaaaaaaa!

bustedknee
    That advise was given straight from the post office in CO when i moved up. There again as for a second opinion I did go to a FFL dealer there as well and he confirm the same.
    I think the only difference was that i was sending several firearms to myself and i would be picking them up at my personal PO Box.
    I do not take breaking the Law litely nor do i try to pass bad scoop to others.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Simple..

Your problem is simply that you are going through Canada.

If you really want a gun while in Alaska, ship it to a gun shop in Anchorage. Bring a pistol case (hard sided that locks) with you and you can fly home with your gun in that.

You can carry in Alaska, as any breathing person is allowed. But you can not buy a firearm in Alaska.

My suggestion, skip Canada on your next trip to Alaska.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Is this it?

I have not thoroughly read the whole statute, but this seems to permit anyone otherwise permitted to own a handgun to carry, and does not specifically require residency in Alaska, unless such residency is required elsewhere in the statutes.

That's basically the way I understand the statute is that if you are 21 or older and have no legal prohibitions against you from possessing a handgun under federal law, then you can carry a concealed handgun within the state and residency is irrelavent because:........

Doesn't mention anything about residency other than noting that Alaskans may obtain a CHL for reciprocity reasons.

Also under 18.65.745 (as copied from the latest LexisNexis Alaska Criminal and Traffic Law Manual) says:

Permit holders from other jurisdictions considered Alaska permit holders.
    A person holding a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun from another state or a political subdivision of another state is a permitee under AS 18.65.700(b) for purposes of AS 18.65.755 - AS 18.65.765.

I take that to mean that since we don't require a permit here that that also translates into non-resident visitors being able to carry without a permit too.

And since I'm one of those folks who has to interpret it and decide how and if to enforce it, I consider it within the law if you L 48ers go about your business and carry if you wish.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    That's basically the way I understand the statute is that if you are 21 or older and have no legal prohibitions against you from possessing a handgun under federal law, then you can carry a concealed handgun within the state and residency is irrelavent because:........

Doesn't mention anything about residency other than noting that Alaskans may obtain a CHL for reciprocity reasons.

Also under 18.65.745 (as copied from the latest LexisNexis Alaska Criminal and Traffic Law Manual) says:

Permit holders from other jurisdictions considered Alaska permit holders.
    A person holding a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun from another state or a political subdivision of another state is a permitee under AS 18.65.700(b) for purposes of AS 18.65.755 - AS 18.65.765.

I take that to mean that since we don't require a permit here that that also translates into non-resident visitors being able to carry without a permit too.

And since I'm one of those folks who has to interpret it and decide how and if to enforce it, I consider it within the law if you L 48ers go about your business and carry if you wish.
    I can appreciate your good interpretation of the statute, and I hope you're correct. I'll try to find the visitors and reciprocity part that I read somehwere and post that. I think I did hear the question asked of Joe Nava on his radio show and I think his reply was only if a resident or a home state CCW permit holder.

I'm not sure where this came from nor is it clear about visitors but here goes.

Are non-residents allowed to have an Alaska concealed handgun permit?
    No. Only Alaska residents may have an Alaska concealed handgun permit. You must establish residency in the State of Alaska and may apply for a permit after you have been here at least 90 days.

CCW Reciprocity for other states - and vistitor requirements.
    Sec. 18.65.748. Permit holders from other jurisdictions considered Alaska permit holders. A person holding a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun from another state or a political subdivision of another state is a permittee under AS 18.65.700 (b) for purposes of AS 18.65.750 - 18.65.765 if the person has not had an application for a concealed handgun permit rejected in this state because the person was unqualified under AS 18.65.705 or had a concealed handgun permit revoked or suspended by this state. Sec. 18.65.750. Possession and display of permit. (a) A permittee shall carry the permit at all times the permittee carries a concealed handgun. The permittee shall display both the license and other proper identification when asked to do so by a peace officer at any time. (b) Whenever a permittee who is carrying a concealed handgun is contacted by a peace officer, the permittee shall immediately inform the peace officer that the permittee is carrying a concealed handgun under the permit. (c) During a contact with a permittee, a peace officer may secure a handgun, or direct that it be secured, during the duration of the contact if the peace officer determines that the action is necessary for the safety of any person, including the peace officer, present. The permittee shall submit to the securing of the handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Whoaaaaaaaa!

bustedknee
    That advise was given straight from the post office in CO when i moved up. There again as for a second opinion I did go to a FFL dealer there as well and he confirm the same.
    I think the only difference was that i was sending several firearms to myself and i would be picking them up at my personal PO Box.
    I do not take breaking the Law litely nor do i try to pass bad scoop to others.
    You cannot ship your handgun in the US Mail. I'm certain of that. You can and I often do mail long guns via US Mail to my self in another state.

Be careful about admitting that yuou have shipped a handgun in the US Postal system.

If you are an FFL holder you may ship, via US Mail, any handgun to another FFL holder only.

Also when we ship a long gun in the US Mail, we must declare it as a firearm and pack in plain brown wrapper.

Murphy, I'm far from a pro on this law but I do know that you do not need a concealed carry permit to carry in Alaska. You can get a concealed carry permit in Alaska and there are some good reasons to have one, but you do not need one. If you are not a felon you can carry concealed in Alaska with or without a concealed carry permit.

You cited a reg that said you can't get an Alaska Concealed Carry permit without being a resident and that is true, but it doesn't mean that you can't carry concealed.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I have used the USPS a number of times to ship handguns to the manufacture for repair. Ruger factory told me how to do it the first time, I have done it a bunch over the years, and they always come back the same way.

As to the trip in question in this post, remove Canada from the equation. If you can have the gun on the ship I would fly to Ketchikan or Juneau and catch the ship from there.

Andy

Thank you all, I know by all the great post I got on this, The people of Alaska are very helpful. The UPS's (overnight) to a gun shop sounds the way to go. I hope to see some of you around, Yes I know Alaska is a VERY BIG state. but you know.
    AND yes, The 4 of us are dumping a lot of $$ on tours in Alaska. But it maybe thier last time there. Me, I plan to drive up to Alaska one day and stay the summer.
    See you soon.
    Greg

Default Another potential hitch

You can certainly send your firearms to a dealer in Alaska. However, you may not be able to pick them up from the dealer.

Years ago when I was in the business, we would just give the shipper their firearms. At some point, our local ATF agent advised us that a form 4473 had to be completed to transfer even back the owner that had shipped them to the store. This means that a non-resident could not receive their own firearms. (also note that straw man purchase restrictions would apply to using a resident to pick them up for you) I'm not certain this interpretation is correct but for many shops, compliance is easier than the risk associated with non-compliance.

Point being, check with the shop you plan on sending the firearms to and see what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast