Thread: Areas clear of snow?

Default Areas clear of snow?

Hoping to take my nephew out for hares later this weekend if the weather dies down a bit. Last year he had a hard time picking out the hares in the snow. I think he'd enjoy at least seeing some against a brown background, even if he didn't get one. We're still patchy in the snow department, but I'm wondering what it's like out towards Wasilla, Big Lake, etc. Reports?

Dang Brian, that area almost sounds like Delta right now. Unbelieveable how much snow melted around here. Those bunnys don't have a chance.

Hav'nt been out to the dome lately but I would guess its bare with the wind and the temps. Good for the moose tho, but thats for the mang. thread

snows pretty thin in the open but still in the woods.still38 and raining but would guess there will still be enough to make spotting them interesting.Alex

wasilla and knik are nearly snowless. let the hunt begin

I went out Knik today several hares in the pot for tomorrows dinner, definetly helped with less snow but there is still plenty of the white stuff in the trees, and any trail was ice with standing water very slippery, and probably would have been best off with hip boots, I couldn't even get to the areas I normally go do to the overflow and melting snow, there is water everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hoping to take my nephew out for hares later this weekend if the weather dies down a bit. Last year he had a hard time picking out the hares in the snow. I think he'd enjoy at least seeing some against a brown background, even if he didn't get one. We're still patchy in the snow department, but I'm wondering what it's like out towards Wasilla, Big Lake, etc. Reports?
    I don't know if you're looking for some one on one time with your nephew, but I really enjoy turning kids into hunters. If you want another set of eyes along, just let me know. I'd pick up my blaze orange vest and leave the shotgun at home. I think we could develop a plan to get your nephew into some bunnies. I know sometimes I've had luck putting someone in an area with good shooting lanes, and then other people walk around and push rabbits right to the shooter.

I'm free all weekend. The exciting/busy life of a college student right?

Thanks for the offer, lab man. I may take you up on it later, but for today I think we need some uncle/nephew time. The kid doesn't really have an active father, so his guy time is minimal. I'd like to get him out hunting with other men as well, though, so we'll have to do this sometime soon.

As for shooting lanes, though, he's shooting a .22, so I need to find him some hares that are sitting still.

Thanks for the offer, lab man. I may take you up on it later, but for today I think we need some uncle/nephew time. The kid doesn't really have an active father, so his guy time is minimal. I'd like to get him out hunting with other men as well, though, so we'll have to do this sometime soon.

As for shooting lanes, though, he's shooting a .22, so I need to find him some hares that are sitting still.
    No problem, I understand. My plan would still works well with 2 people and a .22. My dad and I used to do it all the time with bows. Rabbits run in circles, so when you bump a bunny just leave someone there and have the other guy follow the rabbit. From my experience, hare's usually take a few hops at a time, and then sit still for a few seconds.

Good luck!
    -Eric

Eric - We didn't end up getting out with my nephew today, so I'll keep you posted. Maybe Monday?? Anyhow, my nephew chose to go ice fishing with his mom at the kids ice fishing derby, which was probably better for him anyhow since he hadn't spent much time with his mom, sister, and brother lately. He's still itching to get after some hares, though.

My wife and I went out to scope out some places to take him. Unfortunately, each place we tried was either wet or really, really crunchy and loud. I've got another idea or two, though, so we'll see.

Eric - We didn't end up getting out with my nephew today, so I'll keep you posted. Maybe Monday?? Anyhow, my nephew chose to go ice fishing with his mom at the kids ice fishing derby, which was probably better for him anyhow since he hadn't spent much time with his mom, sister, and brother lately. He's still itching to get after some hares, though.

My wife and I went out to scope out some places to take him. Unfortunately, each place we tried was either wet or really, really crunchy and loud. I've got another idea or two, though, so we'll see.
    I was hoping to come back to this thread and see a picture or two of some dead rabbits! How'd the fishing go? Did he catch anything?

I am absolutely no help when it comes to hunting locations down here. I saw some rabbits out in the palmer hay flats, but they are way to skittish for a .22. I did see a promising location a little south of the 20 mile river, but I haven't had time to scout it out.

Anyway, I'd like to help, but you definitely won't hurt my feelings if you just want to go solo with you nephew.

-Eric