Thread: Bow hunt for moose question

Default Bow hunt for moose question

I have read a lot on this and wanted you guys opinoins that have hunted moose with bow. My compound is 28" draw and set at 70lb. I like carbon arrows but I mainly whitetail hunt and use expandables. What carbon arrow and what broadhead would you recommend? Also, for penetration, what is the furthest distance you would shoot and feel you will still get enough penetration on a moose? I've never hunted anything this big and would want to make sure I am setup properly.

I have been using 100gr Magnus Stingers with the bleeders on 29" 7595 gold tip XT hunters. Total weight was around 400 grains. Draw weight is 63#. So far have had three complete pass through's on three moose with them. All were broadside shots through the both lungs. No bones were hit other than ribs. None of them went over 100 yards. All my shots were under 20 yards. In my opinion you need to use a cut on contact broadhead. Also you want them as sharp as possible. Shot placement is the key. The distance would depend on how far you are comfortable making a good shot at. Where I have been hunting it is pretty brushy so you have to be close to be able to get a shot. If you get a good double lung shot they will not go far.

I think some folks overthink the details of gear such as arrows and broadheads. Agreed with akdd that cut on contact is probably preferable, but ultimately you need to get set up with something that flies well out of your bow and that you're 100% confident in. Moose are not particularly difficult animals to kill, and have been killed with every commercially available arrow and broadhead combination out there. Put an arrow in one's lungs, and it's not going to go far.

Shooting at 70lbs, I personally would not hesitate with taking a moose out to 50 yards if I were fully confident in my abilities to make such a shot. Obviously though, closer is always better.

I've shot 2 moose with my bow. First was a cow at 25 yards. The broadhead cut a rib, then burried deep into a rib on the opposite side. Bad luck going in and coming out, otherwise it would been have a pass thru. The second was a bull at 61 yards. This time no bone at all, complete pass thru. The arrow hit the North Slope tundra with enough power remaining that I couldn't find it.

The cow ran maybe 40 yards, the bull maybe 60 yards. The trick is knowing where your arrow is at any given yardage and avoiding heavy bone. Practice a lot and wait for a double lung shot.

Pearson Dagger, 27 1/2" draw, 60 lbs, Easton 340s, and 100 grain Innerlock Broadhead (fixed blade).

Default Mine

BowTech 72 lbs., Carbon Express Rebel with 125 SS Magnus Stinger (525 grains total. At 26 yards I blew completely thru a cows chest this year and she went 30 feet. Arrow was 20-25 feet past her. I have also shot thru the front of a standing black bear out the back and burried into the hill.

If me, main thing would be a cut-on-contact broadhead.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I think some folks overthink the details of gear such as arrows and broadheads. Agreed with akdd that cut on contact is probably preferable, but ultimately you need to get set up with something that flies well out of your bow and that you're 100% confident in. Moose are not particularly difficult animals to kill, and have been killed with every commercially available arrow and broadhead combination out there. Put an arrow in one's lungs, and it's not going to go far.

Shooting at 70lbs, I personally would not hesitate with taking a moose out to 50 yards if I were fully confident in my abilities to make such a shot. Obviously though, closer is always better.
    Dito....

I have shot moose with alum and carbon arrows and a couple of different broadheads. Shot placement, just like any other critter, is the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Leo View Post
    My compound is 28" draw and set at 70lb. I like carbon arrows but I mainly whitetail hunt and use expandables.
    I would personally avoid using expandable blades on moose, but that's just me.

+1 on expandables...I've shot em on whitetails, did great...but moose....probably not...plus I don't think they're legal for moose in AK.

70lbs 28"draw any properly spined carbon arrow will do the trick fine...

First bull I shot this year, 27"draw, 62lbs, 20 yards away shot with 400gr carbon express terminator select 26.75" long tipped with nap nitron 100gr broadhead, ran 70 yards down hill and piled up right there.....

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot out to 60 yards on a good broadside shot.

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    +1 on expandables...I've shot em on whitetails, did great...but moose....probably not...plus I don't think they're legal for moose in AK.
    True - expandables are not legal for moose in Alaska.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-17-2009 at 07:50.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I took a cow with Gold tip 7595 and G5 montec 125 grain broadheads. Complete double lung pass thru, no problems at all. She walked 20 yards and fell over, the arrow went about another 20 yards as well.

Cant use mechanicals for moose up here because it is illegal.

Thumbs up expandables

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    True - expandables are not legal for moose in Alaska.
    Yep... But when they were legal, I used them at 32 and 50 yards on 2 different bulls and they did great. One shot each. I'd do it again if they allowed it. I've taken 3 caribou with them as well ranging from 40 - 62 yds and again, they did great. I also shoot carbons at 73#, so the kinetic energy really opens them up and pushes them on through. Me personally, I don't have a problem with them like some folks, never have.

At 28/70, you should be able to shoot moose to the bottom of your sight pin group with no problem as long as you practice regularly at that distance. On moose, a low hit is better than a high hit so seek that whether you've got a clear sight/flight line or not.

Asking any broadhead to pass through two ribs is asking a little too much. If you get both lungs, you've got yourself a dead and found moose whether you get a pass-through or not. None of us can know whether we'll hit rib or not until we check the moose on the ground.

I've had great experiences with the chisel-points, like Muzzy, and now Shuttle-T's, but I won't take away from a person's experience with cut-on-impact broadheads as they are sure to do the job.

With today's bows and shafts, bowhunting is no longer a 30-yard-limit activity!

Taylor