Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Interesting - Are You Thinking What I am Thinking??

  1. #1

    Default Interesting - Are You Thinking What I am Thinking??

    I was doing more load work to day and had about four beginning loads to check out using the 150gr GS HV in my 30-06. I think I am getting closer with the E-Tip being a good load.

    Well when I got to my fourth three shot load for the GS HV the accuracy was ok and velocities nothing special for a 150gr bullet in a 30-06 but look at the chrony and then the target.









    continued on following post
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default



    Group size .736


    Now I don't know about you all but that group and those readings say to me that this is a long range load for sure with such a small Average Deviation and Standard Deviation.

    What is your take on the above?????
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  3. #3

    Default Excellent

    Thats an excellent velocity deviation. Shoot the same ammo at 200 yards and see if the group tightens; The GS HV bullets may not yet be asleep. Some projectiles take longer than others to go to sleep and this could be the case with these; the group could actually tighten up at longer distances.
    The 107 grn VLDs in my 6-284 didn't go to sleep until they passed the 225 yard line.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Thats an excellent velocity deviation. Shoot the same ammo at 200 yards and see if the group tightens; The GS HV bullets may not yet be asleep. Some projectiles take longer than others to go to sleep and this could be the case with these; the group could actually tighten up at longer distances.
    The 107 grn VLDs in my 6-284 didn't go to sleep until they passed the 225 yard line.
    You know bravo01, that is what I am thinking. I like your analogy of them going to sleep and with all the years of doing reloading and shooting I have this feeling that they will tighten up somewhere out there and fly true for a long ways. I will test them soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  5. #5

    Default

    I have always wondered how accurate these chronies are? Have you tested your chrony in-line with another chrony?

    These results would be great if they are accurate and consitant with follow on groups. Also, GS is claiming these bullets can achieve higher velocities with lower pressures. Are you seeing pressure signs? Are you going to try for higher velocity.

    Hopefully, these bullets will go to sleep and tighten up.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I have always wondered how accurate these chronies are? Have you tested your chrony in-line with another chrony?

    These results would be great if they are accurate and consitant with follow on groups. Also, GS is claiming these bullets can achieve higher velocities with lower pressures. Are you seeing pressure signs? Are you going to try for higher velocity.

    Hopefully, these bullets will go to sleep and tighten up.
    Yes, I have tested my chrony. My shooting buddy and I when we go together shoot same loads from time to time across each others chrony's and make sure they are the same distance from the muzzle. Our chrony's agree.

    I was using my starting loads so I was not trying to get higher velocities. No pressure signs with loads I worked with today.

    I will not try for higher velocities until I test my theory with this load. I still have a lot of work to do. I will use different powder, primers and brass before I finalize on a specific load. Now I will work for a faster load but if this one shoots tight groups at long range it will be my long range bullet because of it's tough construction and will open still at 1500/1600fps.

    I had a seating depth of 3.230" but I am thinking of coming up to 3.240" because my feeling is that I am just a little to deep. I weighed every bullet and used those that weighed EXACTLY the same, my brass was 2.484" and I made sure everyone was the EXACT same length. I squared my primer pockets and de-burred the necks, also measuring the neck to make sure thickness was the same. I trickled my compressed load slowly into the case so my powder would stack in a more uniform way.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  7. #7

    Default Bullets

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    You know bravo01, that is what I am thinking. I like your analogy of them going to sleep and with all the years of doing reloading and shooting I have this feeling that they will tighten up somewhere out there and fly true for a long ways. I will test them soon.
    Most all benchrest shooters use flat based bullets out to 200 yds. This length reduction and increased rear weight SUPPOSEDLY helps the bullet to produce tighter groups at close range; Must work they shoot some remarkably small groups.
    Even the Benchrest Hunter class shooters use Flat base projectiles in their 6-250s and 30x47 Hunter class repeaters which is shoot at 100 & 200 with a 6x scope.
    Boat tail style bullets do increase the downrange BC and increase long range velocity and which can be useful in some shooting applications.
    Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  8. #8

    Default

    As mentioned I went to a faster powder and mag primers but had OAL to short. Last night I loaded 53grs of IMR4320 with a 215 Fed mag primer in Nosler Custom brass and got 3126fps but had an 1 1/2 group, but my OAL was 3.252". After viewing the group I decided to increase my OAL to 3.300" but due to recommendations from the experts with this bullet I will use 3.350" I will try this coming Thrusday morning when Knitepoet and I do some shooting. This was not quite a max load and pressures signs are not present but do not use this load data in a 06 using conventional bullets.







    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9

    Default

    Tonight when I loaded some more rounds I set my OAL at 3.327" Bullet touched lands at 3.339". Will see Thursday.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •