Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mods for your Marlin Guide Gun????

Default What mods for your Marlin Guide Gun????

Had a guide gun long ago & got rid of it (silly me) but picked up another a few days ago. It's an 1895M (the ported 450 Marlin guide gun).
    I know there are lots of mods & toys a guy can do to these. What have you done to yours? Was it worth it? Would you do it again?

I picked up a Limbsaver recoil pad the day I got the gun (stock pad is stiff & as I remember not pleasent w/heavy loads) but won't install it until I shoot a round or two with thes tock pad so I can judge the difference.
    Got pics of your gun?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Reprofiled the forearm to Winchester 94 profile and refinnished with gloss poly. $0

Thinned the butt stock to remove checkering and refinnished with gloss poly. $0

Glass bedded butt stock. $10 for use of a partial bedding kit

Installed Decelerator pad. $30

Cut barrel to 16 ¼” and recrowned. $0

Polished and installed WWG bear proof ejector. $35 (I think)

Completely disassembled action. $0

Stoned all bearing surfaces of the frame. $0

Cleaned up and slightly deepened the half cock notch. $0

Stoned and polished the sides of the hammer, trigger, breech block, cartridge lifter, hammer spring guide and the lever. $0

Adjusted the radius on the back of the bolt, stoned and polished. $0

Adjusted the radius on the top of the hammer, stoned and polished $0

Altered the sear and hammer engagement by stoning and polishing to provide about 4 pound trigger pull with much less creep. $0

Filed down the bottom of the action to match the contour of the trigger group plate, polished and cold blued. $6 for cold blue

Removed original rear sight and filled with dovetail blank. Filed to match barrel profile, and cold blued. $7 for dovetail blank

I still need to drill and tap the barrel for a new front sight and purchase and install a set of “winged” Brockman sights. I will also install a “safety delete” kit and plug any unused scope mount or sight holes. I will also probably put onother 2 or 3 coats of poly on the wood and cut it back with 0000 steel wool to drop the gloss down a tad bit.

In my opinion, with a little work the factory trigger can be as good, or at least nearly as good as the WWG “trigger happy” kit, for far less money.

I did not install any reduced power springs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Had a guide gun long ago & got rid of it (silly me) but picked up another a few days ago. It's an 1895M (the ported 450 Marlin guide gun).
    I know there are lots of mods & toys a guy can do to these. What have you done to yours? Was it worth it? Would you do it again?

I picked up a Limbsaver recoil pad the day I got the gun (stock pad is stiff & as I remember not pleasent w/heavy loads) but won't install it until I shoot a round or two with thes tock pad so I can judge the difference.
    Got pics of your gun?
    Too late for you, but I modified my guide guns by getting rid of both of them. The short barrel is dandy, but I hated the straight stock for fast action cycling while reaquiring a sight picture and without dropping it from my shoulder. To replace the GG, I bought a used 95 for a lot less than I was able to sell one GG for, then had the barrel clipped and ported and the sight remounted. After that, I did an action and trigger job myself and mounted a Williams receiver sight. Looks kinda funny to GG lovers with the pistol grip rather than straight stock, but it sure makes me happy.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I got to agree with BrownBear on the pistol grip preference. I will probably change mine to a pistol grip in the future (all you need is the butt stock, trigger plate and lever from a pistol grip 95 to make the change) as it does make a huge difference in the shouldering, and rapid second shot abilities of the rifle. They do look a bit goofy, but who cares…..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Nice looking rifle Alangaq!
    I do know some guys that have put the pistol grip stock on the guide guns, & I think they look sharp. BUT, the straight stock has never caused me to need to take the rifle away from my shoulder while cycling the action.
    Maybe it's because I'm used to my Henry 22, my 44 mag mod 94 Trapper (old model), or my mid 40s manafacture mod 94 in 32 special, all with straight stocks.
    Most likely it's cause I'm just wierd :-)
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Check out the new Guide Gun, model 1895 SBL. It had the pistol grip, full lenght mag tube and a weaver type rail.

Ahhhrrrrgggguuu……… what an eye sore, and I am betting they sell for about $800!

Most folks don’t share my taste in rifle esthetics, so these should sell pretty fast!

Speaking of full length mag tubes. That is an easy mod for a guide gun and a fun little project for a novice. All you need to do is order a full length mag tube for a 95 for like $19 and then cut it to length with a dremmel tool and re drill the holes for the attachment screw. You will have plenty of excess material from the part you cut off to practice your hole drilling before you do the real deal. Then you file a new dove tail in the bottom of the barrel and relocate the mag tube hangar. If you want to go “all the way” you can make a dove tail slot filler for the empty dove tail and touch it up with some cold blue.

There are also a couple of large loop levers out on the market. WWG makes one but I cant remember the name of the other manufacture. I think Midway USA and Brownells carry both of them. Anyway, these are pretty much just a drop in kind of thing and super simple to do.

While I share Alangaq's view on what make a "pretty" rifle, that one is surely practical & would be the "ready for anything" version.
    Personaly I would prefer that mine had a parkerized style finish, or maybe Duracoat, but I'll take the blue over the stainless. Not practical I knoe but ....
    I also like my walnut stock (although I'll admit the 98 in 358 Norma Mag I'm putting together is getting a fiberglass stock.) over the laminated.
    Can't mind XS listing that particular sight rail yet on their website.
    Vance in AK.

Here's my 1895 from WWG in .457. Shortened and ported barrel, hard chromed, kevlar stock, big loop lever, new sights and a few other upgrades. It's fills a specialized niche!

Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post

Got pics of your gun?
    Only mod I made was putting a Williams aperture rear and Firesight on mine. Found I like scopes a lot better, so I modded it by giving the aperture to my Dad for his 30-30, and put on a Vari-X II 2-7x33. Never felt the need to do anything else to it.

Default pressure

I'm working with an Outside machinist in beefing up the Marlin action to handle '86 chamber pressure . The machining Marlin has done to the action to allow for the magazine tube has weakened it from day one , leaves very little material between the chamber and the tube radius . Re-barreling with an improved thread leaves enough material to safely handles loads that will make the .457 and Turnbull cartridge hub-bub unneccessary . It ain't cheap but either is dancing with Wild West or Turnbull . Velocities of 2150 f.p.s. with a 400 gr. with be possible and safe with this work . Something to check out , I'm not in business just passing on info .

Default Odds and ends..

I had Wild West put their peep-sights on it, the front is fiber-optic. They also pinned and skeletonized the front sight-hood which is great in the brush. I believe the lever is theirs too, it was installed when I traded for the rifle. I put on the XS lever-scout mount on it, and the 2.5x leupold in quick-detach rings. I will never part with this handy little boomer, any legal moose or bear within 200yds better watch out!

If I had the money I'd send in my Savage 99 to Doug Turnbull, he does beautiful work!

I like that new Marlin, I held the special 16" version at Chimos the other day, the drool-meter was pegged!

Here's the link to a pic of my rifle in another thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40591

Good luck with the new toy!

Jay

duh, here's the pic.

I am a waste of bandwidth!

Jay

That 16" trapper version is pretty sweet looking too. I was hoping someone would have one at the flea market/gun show this weekend. From the gun above I like the full length mag tube the most. It could use a darker finish and lose the pitcanny rail too.

I appreciate all the input guys.
    You have some beautiful guns.

Right now it loks like my lineup of improvements for this winter will be this.
    Happy trigger, bear proof ejector (why not?), sights, & possibly a nice leather stockcover-shell holder from Levergun Leather.
    I'm still undecided on which sights to go with. Have a friends gun with WW rear sight sitting here & it's nice. He hasn't shot it since it was installed, but I'm thinking it may require a taller front. I have a Skinner coming to try. I'm also looking at the XS set but wondering about their wide front sight. Looks stout but may make for less than precise shooting... Like the idea of the the removable aperture on the Skinner so you can use it as a ghost (great for bear protection) or standard peep (more accurate for hunting).
    A larger loop lever will be in the works if it seems neccessary, probably from DRC as the WW lever just seems too big. Was considering a scout scope too but that can wait a year.
    For right now I guess I better get out & just shoot the thing!!!

I had planned to use my recurve for black bear over bait this spring, but it looks like we may be moving into a different home about that time so time will be at a premium. Since that's the case I think the 450 will be the tool this year so there will be no missed chances.

By the way, keep the ideas coming, especially the ones with pics!
    Vance in AK.

You can change the aperture on the W.W sight too, they told me it is standard Williams-thread. There is a lot of elevation adjustment on that sight, but mine is bottomed-out in the adjustment as you can see.

It shoots to point of aim at 100yds with those LeverEvolutions where the rear sight is now, so I'm happy. With the scout-scope on mine the sights are just there for back-up and crawling into the thick stuff, so the big aperture works for me. Easy to find the front sight quickly anyway.

I've heard lots of good about the trigger-happy kit. I've resisted the urge to alter the trigger, change the ejector, and the magazine follower so far only because the stock parts on mine have performed very well so far. I feel the urge creeping-up again, I'm sure my wife will veto that legislation though!

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine!

Took my little beastie out today & shot it for the 1st time.
    Loads weren't real wild. They were some rounds I had loaded up for my 15" Encore handgun barrel(which is really about 13" + the brake) with 405 gr Remington bullets. In the Encore these rounds did about 1670fps. I had to seat the bullet .2" deeper to get it to feed in the Marlin (went to 2.55 as opposed to 2.73 in the long throated Encore) but that was easy to do because the crimp was light. I imaging that raiesd the pressures & velocity a bit but I wasn't concerned because the load was no where near max listed with the shorter length. With the extra 5" of barrel & deeper seating I would guess these at about 1800 fps??? Maybe a bit more.
    Any way, it was fun to shoot. Does slap you a bit, but not a "pain" to shoot. Only had 12 rds with me to try as I just wanted to test the gun & it is snowing & blowing(25 ish mph) here & about 20* this morning. For the last three rds I rested the forestock on a sandbag on the hood & just shot a 25 yd group (didn't want to go traising thru the snow too much). 2 went into one hole (2nd shot in hole almost unnoticable) & 3rd shot opened it up to around an inch. I think with a little trigger work & warm hands & a load tailored for this gun rather than another it will put them in the same hole every time.
    I'm happy!
    Now I know it's worth the effort on sights, trigger etc as a project gun.
    Vance in AK.

Not sure of the reasoning for the special follower, bear-proof?
    Has any one had trouble with the original? Is the WWG follower smaller in dia. to function in grit?

The newer Marlins have a redundent cross-bolt safety, that can be replaced with a blanking screw.........
    or take the stock off, and tighten up the allen screw that holds the detent ball, til the bolt is locked in place.

I have a soft spot for lever actions. Here's my Marlin 1895 in 45-70.

Brockman ghost ring
    Firesite front post
    Skeletonized front hood
    WWG bear proof ejector
    WWG Big lever loop

Hey man, I just remembered, check out the forum, Marlin Owners, www.marlinowners.com I believe. They have a 45-70 or perhaps "Big Bore" section that has tons of info on guide guns. Lots of upgrade ideas and pics. Great site for getting info on upgrading you GS.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast