Thread: cuddy cabin aux stearing setup??

Default cuddy cabin aux stearing setup??

hey guys!
    question for you boaters that have stearing in the cockpit as well as in the cabin!...is it mainly for the aux motor for fishing with stearing/throttle control, or is for you main motors also?....my plan for the new boat(27-28 footer cuddy), is to just have it to stear the aux motor and thrust/tilt control for same!..does that make sense?,,,,would love hear about all your setups, and why you have what you have! thanks larry

Thumbs up StEEring

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    ..to stear the aux motor and thrust/tilt control for same!..does that make sense
    You lost me a bit here. Thrust and tilt are 2 separate operations. I am unaware of a unit that controls both. If you are having a new boat built, I am sure they can build something that would accomplish this.

My Sea Sport has 2 helm positions, one forward and one in the cockpit. For remote steering of my kicker I installed the EZ Steer system. It is an adjustable rod connecting the main outdrive to the kicker motor. It took me a couple of tries, but it is now working great and allows me to steer the kicker from either helm position. This is great for bad weather fishing or limping back to port on the kicker. My kicker is mounted on a hydraulic lift that requires leaning over the transom to steer, gets old fast.
    I am about half installed on the remote throttle control. I went with the Controllking by Magma Mfg. It is an adjustable servo on the kicker that I can control from either helm via a cable that I ran under the gunnels into the cabin. I have not pushed to complete this install as once I set the throttle I don't need to change it very often. (With me it's either full power or troll speed. I will finish it this spring.

I hope this helps and here are 2 links for the stuff I bought.

http://www.ezsteer.com/

http://www.controllking.com/
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

If you want the ability to effectively drift/jig, mooch, and troll, there are two mandatory conditions that must be met:
    1. Throttle, steering, and shifting for the kicker must be possible from the cockpit. This means no single kicker remote controls at the main helm.
    2. Kicker operation in reverse must be possible to hold position in a drift while jigging or mooching. Some autopilots don't do well with this, so I'd advise against getting an autopilot.

As for how you accomplish this, the most basic is an extension handle on the kicker's tiller handle. This works just fine, and is very direct and positive. A dedicated control station in the cockpit is another option. You can mount the controls on the rear cabin bulkhead, but sometimes visibility from that location isn't as good as it would be from the stern working a tiller handle...

Default Remote Controls For Kickers

If your looking for something to control your kicker via remote control there are a few systems on the market. They are available for most of the smaller outboards. The unit is wired into the outboard and the radio control attached to your belt. You can control the direction and speed if I remember correctly. I would try your local marine dealer. Here I Anchorage I believe I seen one of the setups at Marita Sea-N-Ski. I would also check the boat shows.

A buddy of mine made an auxilary steering control for his kicker motor using an aftermarket Power trim control. He can't change speeds with it, but he has a little hand held control that he steers with and is able to take anywhere on his smaller boat. He basically fabricated a mount so that instead of up and down it is right and left. It works great and he can sit down, or stand, or go where he wants.

Default Intelli steer or TR-1

Larry,
    These two units work fine but the TR-1 has a few more options (autopilot).
    The intelli steer will let you steer only you have to set the throttle from the outboard control. I think the intelli steer is around $700 and the TR-1 is about $3000.00. If I had to do it over again I would buy the TR-1.

Treat yourself you deserve it

Chuck

thanks guys!...yes, i am aware of the remote running options of the kicker,( i have a easy steer and control king on my 60/40 4 stoke jet and 6 hp kicker), but was more wondering about the ablity to control the BIG motor(s) from the cockpit too?...is it only the kicker you worry about and control from the cockpit, or is it important to run the BIG motor(s) from the back as well? larry

Larry,

If you are pulling shimp pots or crab pots, then it is nice to have controls back in the cockpit. If you are running the boat from inside and relying on others for good information where things are, you may be more likely to wrap a line around your prop. I agree with the previous post about the TR1. I have a friend that has one of these autopilots on his kicker and loves it. I will have cockpit controls of both the kicker and the main. I plan on running it for a while and then deciding if I need to add the kicker autopilot as well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Larry,

If you are running the boat from inside and relying on others for good information where things are, you may be more likely to wrap a line around your prop.
    Jim

good point jim!!....never thought of the ability to see at certain times!.....as Captian Pichard said to Riker in Star Trek,,,"make it SO number one!"..thanks larry