Thread: ATV Registration?

Default ATV Registration?

I know snowmachines are required to be registered when you buy them but not ATV's. I have been told that state law requires ATV's to be registered for operation on state park land. A state ranger at Hatchers Pass told my son it's a $75.00 ticket, snowmachine or ATV, without current registration, but that was a couple of years ago and applied to the park land. So now my questions.

Has the law been changed requiring ATV registration if operating on any state land, not just parks? A local dealer told me the registrations requirement for snowmachines is for ALL STATE LAND. I tried to research the state law but could not even find the requirement for the park land let alone just regular state land.

Or is it just all smoke to try to get us to cough up $5.00 a year?

Default ATV Registration

I researched this three months ago with the help of some of the other members post and I could not find anyone but the dealer that wanted me to register my atvs. I called DMV, DNR and the state parks all stated the registration law only applies to snow machines.

Default ATV Registration

I too was a bit confused on this matter, especially after reading DMV's website. So, I went straight to the source, the DMV office in Fairbanks. I asked what the requirement was and this is what I was told:

"By state law all snowmachines must be registered. ATV's are only required to be registered if they will be ridden on state or federal land. If you purchase an ATV and only ride it on private property, there is no registration requirement. The cost of the registration is only $10 for 2 years. "

The dealers are charging $150 - $200 for doc and registration fees. They are correct in that "MOST" wheelers will need to be registered since most of us ride on state or federal land, but there is absolutely no reason to pay upward of $100 for that registration.

I have not registered my wheelers in the past due to not truly knowing the requirements. Now that I have been educated I will comply with the law, but I will register my next wheeler myself for $10 at DMV.

I looked for info on this forum and on the DMV website and all I got was more confused. When in doubt, go straigth to the source. It was worth the 5 minutes I spent at the counter of the DMV to become legally compliant.

I hope this helps, but please don't take my word for it. Just pick up the phone or stop by the DMV for the most accurate info.

Shannon

RTC,

They were partially right. Snowmachines must be registered if used on state for park land, they don't have to be if used on private.

ATV's DO NOT have to be registered since they are not classified as "snow vehicles". There is no registration requirement for ATV's even on state land or parks. Registration is TOTALLY voluntary for ATVs and is NOT REQUIRED.

DMV site

I have never had any of my ATVs registered and have discussed this at length with the park ranger at Eklutna. He will ding snowmachines all day long, but ATVs are exempt.

Registration may help if your machine is stolen, but otherwise you are just donating money to the state.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    RTC,

They were partially right. Snowmachines must be registered if used on state for park land, they don't have to be if used on private.

ATV's DO NOT have to be registered since they are not classified as "snow vehicles". There is no registration requirement for ATV's even on state land or parks. Registration is TOTALLY voluntary for ATVs and is NOT REQUIRED.

DMV site

I have never had any of my ATVs registered and have discussed this at length with the park ranger at Eklutna. He will ding snowmachines all day long, but ATVs are exempt.

Registration may help if your machine is stolen, but otherwise you are just donating money to the state.
    Very good information!!! I have also talked to the Ranger at Eklutna and he has never even asked about registration on my ATV/UTV. He has made comment about sled registration though. I talk to him every time I ride there to get a "bear" report before heading out. I have never had any of my ATVs/UTVs registered and have never had an issue. Bottom line, now we know for sure...No Need for paperwork and tags on your wheeled toys! Thanks again for clearing this up!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Confused?

AKmud,
    Thanks for the input. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, this issue is now getting me all confused again. It's a shame when the state isn't even sure of their own rules and we get conflicting reports form park rangers and DMV employees. I've never registered my wheelers and never had an issue, but if nothing else, a $5.00 annual donation to the state will provide me the piece of mind that the next uninformed or confused state employee can't write me a ticket based on his interpretation of the law.

I think I'll make a trip back to the DMV for further clarification. The state troopers are right there too, so maybe we can get everyone on the same page....

Thanks,
    Shannon

RTC,

When you go back into DMV, point out that it says - "A snow vehicle is a vehicle propelled by mechanical power, supported in part by ski's, belts, cleats, or low pressure tires and primarily designed to travel over ice and snow. ATVs with low pressure tires may be registered as snow vehicles.

ATV's may be considered as "snow vehicles", but they aren't automatically classified as such. It is up to the owner whether or not they want to pay for registration of an ATV.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Roger that!

I plan to carry in a print out from their own website to help with my side of the arguement (no registration required).

so what about an argo with low pressure tires and a track on? Lets get them ALL confused lol. is that a snow vehicle

OK - got it now. I really don't want to put stickers on my new machine when I pick it up on Thursday - so I'm not registering it.
    Thanks for the information.

Default What new machine!?

jupiterak,

What kind of rig are you picking up?

Adding to my fleet. I have a 2007 Polaris SP Deluxe 500. ( in 2007 only the deluxe model had ADC)
    I also have a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
    And my new machine (Drum roll please)
    A toss up between a 550 Grizzly or another 500 SP.
    (Note the machine is for my younger son as I drive the one with EPS and the older son drives the Polaris)

The Polaris Dealer gave me a $1500 discount on a left over Blue 500 SP.
    The Yamaha dealer would discount for a winch and hand/thumb warmers.

So the winner is:
    A 2008 Polaris SP 500, blue with alum. spoke wheels, 2500# winch, hand & thumb warmers, handguards, gun boot & mount, and receiver hitch bar for less than $7K.

Ya, I know the polaris is a new left over 08 model and the grizzly is an 09 but I always keep my machines 11 to 13 years and after that long it doesn't really matter for resale. Anyway that's what it is. Gives me an excuse to ride this winter to get some break -in hours on the new machine.

By the way anyone want a new red 08 Polaris 800 equiped the same as my 500 for $8000.00 out the door? If so PM me and i'll tell you which dealer to call and who to ask for.

In fairness to the Yami dealer I deal with, they were just over $7K for the 550 with a winch and hand/thumb warmers.
    Last edited by jupiterak; 01-19-2009 at 17:18. Reason: Added info

Default PM Sent

JupiterAK,
    Sent you a PM

Thanks,
    Shannon