Thread: knik arm is there any off limits areas?

Smile knik arm is there any off limits areas?

hey guys, sort of a newbe here. was wondering if it is legal to hunt on the east side of the knik south of the highway to about birchwood airport. haven't seen too many people there. maybe wasn't looking in the right spots, or the hunting just sucks here. Any help to getting into a good area would be great!! This area is my back yard, as i live in peters creek. How great would that be, get up, grab the gun walk out the back door, down the path to the blind!!

Not exactly sure where you are saying but it sounds like you are talking about the Eklutna archery registration hunt area. However I just looked at the regs and I noticed that there is an area on both sides of the highway that appears to be "remainder of 14C" for which moose hunting by harvest was open until today. If I'm not mistaken that area you are questioning is in the Municipality of Anchorage and therefore I would think that it would be illegal to discharge a firearm. Someone else must know for sure.

That would be the Eklutna Corporation land and you will need a permit to hunt it above the high tide line. Unless you are a tribe memeber you won't be getting a permit. There are rarely birds on that side from what I have been told by guys that scout it after leaving the hay flats or coffee point.

If your back door is the Birchwood airport then why not hunt that? Google Earth it and you will see what I mean. This are is not part of the Anchorage Refuge so you can do nearly what ever you want out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that area you are questioning is in the Municipality of Anchorage and therefore I would think that it would be illegal to discharge a firearm. Someone else must know for sure.
    This is exactly what I thought until recently, when I had a bull moose in the backyard and decided to find out if it was legal to harvest. Well I ended up not getting the moose, but did find some interesting things out. I basically live right in between the Chugach State Park management area and the "Remainder of Unit 14" (old Glenn Hwy north Eagle River).

In the regs both these areas are listed under the same spot for moose "Chugach State Park/Remainder of Unit 14." These areas are open to the public for hunting, but you still have to deal with private property issues with the majority of the areas (ex. Eklutna Native Corp.). Since this was on my property I was good in that regard. My biggest worry was the discharge of a firearm in the MOA. So I started doing research and here is what I found...

http://www.muni.org/apd2/askapdanswers.cfm

Q. Is it illegal to shoot animals with a BB gun in a residential neighborhood? Are soft guns illegal in the municipality?

A. Anchorage Municipal Code 8.25.030 regulates Discharge of Firearms within the Municipality. It states, in part, it is unlawful for any person to knowingly shoot, discharge, or flourish any firearm, air rifle or air pistol within the MOA except in those areas open to the public for lawful hunting or upon established shooting ranges.

So between that and the hunting regs I figure any area that is open to hunting with firearms is an area where you are allowed to discharge firearms for hunting purposes.

I feel pretty confident in what I have found between the hunting regs and the laws of the MOA, but I am by no means an expert on these matters and people should not act on this information without doing their own research.

Also if anyone disagrees or has other information I would sure like to hear because I think that is the best way to get to the bottom of issues like this.

Jake!!! We definitely need to get to the bottom of this!! I live down in peters creek, down oberg, then glacial vista. NW of the highway. I might have to call an AKF&G official!! For all the rest, we'll find out! But I know i back up to BLM land!!
    Thanks!

TBLOOMA,

I didn't say it in my previous post, but I am still pretty nervous about hunting in "the remainder of unit 14", private property issues being my biggest concern. I live on three acres and am still somewhat worried that if I did ever did shoot a moose the darn thing would run into a neighbor's yard and die (could you imagine that mess, figuratively and literally). I don't have to worry about it again until next year do to the season being closed, but I will save the "backyard safari" as a last resort freezer filler for next year. I have yet to call fish and game, so if you do keep us posted.

To answer the original question to this thread there is an area that many people hunt ducks just past the shooting range on the right. It's actually one of the only areas around there that is not owned by Eklutna Native Corporation.

I plan on hunting the mouth of fire creek next year. Its not legal in beach lake park, but thats just outside of it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

To answer your question better between beach lake park and the shooting range you are good (I wouldn't set up downrange of the shooting range) I also think you are good at the mouth of Peters Creek
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.