Thread: goat hunting information

Default goat hunting information

Does anyone know of some good reading or information pertaining to goat hunting here in AK?

have you read all the posts on this forum? do a search for 'goat' and there is a wealth of information. that is how i got started and i have learned most of my knowledge on this forum. plenty of posts on where, when, how, weather, air taxis, draws, billies vs nannies, etc. i have also PM'd those that were successful to get specifics about their logistics, etc (not where they shot it). they have been a great help as well.

Thank you ? Actually a friend of mine asked last night if I had seen any books. Ive seen books for just about anything else.

Amazon.com sell several books on goat hunting. I think I bought 3 different ones from them.

There are two books specific to goat hunting right here in our book store. The Mountain Goat Challenge by Ace Sommerfeld, and Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist. I haven't read either, but I read a good review last year of the first one.

Incidentally, I don't make a cent off the book sales, but supporting the book store here is a part of keeping this site up and running. Even better, the book store is currently having a 10% off sale on all items.

Default Ace

I read Ace Sommerfield's book Brian recommended above. (I got it from the bookstore here by the way.) Also read the Gilcrest book. Best source by far is the Ace Sommerfield book. Can't think of a better goat book off hand.
    Plus he has a cool name. Anyone named Ace has to be pretty cool.

Thank you for the info, I will check them out.

Default Ace's book

I second the kudos on Ace's book. Good information, pretty good stories. The best part is he comes off as a blue collar joe who took to moose hunting and did it all on a budget and was successful. I think it took me a weekend to read. I picked it up at Fred Meyer in Wasilla.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous