Thread: What have you killed with your Muzzleloader and what is it?

Default What have you killed with your Muzzleloader and what is it?

Just to stir conversation, I have killed Mule Deer, Elk, and Antelope in Colorado and Black Bear in Alaska with a 50 cal Thomspon Center, what say all of you?????

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Sitka Blacktail and black bear with Thompson .54 Renegade.

Default stuff

I've killed 3 deer and 2 wild hogs with my large bore Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle in 54 cal w/PRB. I've killed 2 deer with a TC Hawken in 50 caliber using Maxi Bullets. Scads of squirrels and rabbits with my 32 caliber squirrel rifle w/PRBs AND for the winged creatures I use my double barrel 12 ga. Been shooting BP for over 35 years, off and on.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

1 6x6 and 1 6x5 bull elk in New Mexico with a Thompson 54-cal Renegade and 460-grain RNFB Buffalo Bullet seated over 110 grains equivalent of Pyrodex.

Default Black Bear

5'5" male interior black bear, w/my Thompson Renegade .50. Great gun, shoots very straight.

Two White Tail deer in Michigan with TC Renegade .54
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default My biggest

My biggest to date with a muzzleloader is a New Mexico elk. Got him with a T/C Encore, 50 cal. He came to cow call, shot at 50 yards and still coming. First shot, lung, stoppped him; he turned around and the guide kept calling. I reloaded while the bull tried to bugle, pretty hard with a hole punched through. Shot again and he took a few steps and went down. What a sight! Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default grizzly

I killed an 8ft grizzly with a 50 cal. knight inline (open sights!!) used a no excuse bullet. pic. of this bear on no excuse website

Default AKbum

You must classify your self as Shockey or ritz,you should bost alittle more

Got a small sitka buck a couple of years ago with my encore. Since then just a couple of rabbits with a 20 guage double barrel pedersoli and a T/C with .54 smooth barrel.

Quite a few whitetails with my .50 Hawkin flintlock and one whitetail with my .50 T/C Omega Z5. A turkey with a 12 gauge SxS Pedersoli percussion.

Hope to add a moose to the list before leaving AK.

Thompson/Center Omega .50

6' interior black bear, 46" moose, and one cow moose. Next stop...grizzly

Default moose

60" moose with a remington genesis 495gr no excuses bullet. Also 2 bunnies with PRB's.

I have taken quite a few whitetailes and hogs, I have also taken a good sized black bear as well with one. all thth a 50 cal Hawkins. I am going to hopefully take another black bear this May. I like the old patched round ball. it has worked on all of them so far. Big hogs, bucks and a black bear.

Default time & patience

Redcoats.

I have only used my blackpowder weapons for reenacting and target so far. I have everything except time and patience to go hunting.

I have killed a lot of upland game with New Englander shotgun (rabbits, grouse, ring necks) and I have finally taken a deer with a smoke pole, T/C Triumph.

Default Thompson 54

I bagged moose and caribou with a Thompson 54 cal. but now I have a Kodiak double B. 58cal. and have plans to try for a Griz.... Have a couple of bullet Molds one conical 550grain I plan on using as it seems to very accurate at 75 yards M-Trailman

Default 58?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Trailman View Post
    I bagged moose and caribou with a Thompson 54 cal. but now I have a Kodiak double B. 58cal. and have plans to try for a Griz.... Have a couple of bullet Molds one conical 550grain I plan on using as it seems to very accurate at 75 yards M-Trailman
    man o man, a 58... I put a full load (max according to specs) in my 50 one and only one time, and had a mark on my shoulder for 2 weeks. I went out and bought a butt-pad.

Do you have a pad on the butt of your 58, or a steel shoulder?

With that power you must takem down even if you dont' quite hit the mark - is that so?

several whitetail deer and a southeastern black bear...t/c thunderhawk .50. i was going to take it on a coastal brown bear hunt, but the losing sight of the bear after you shoot made me think twice....there is always next year.