Thread: The supreme order of importance: you decide.

Default The supreme order of importance: you decide.

#
    Reels. Out of all the equipment needed to fly fish, I have always felt that the reel was the least important component. I feel you can catch just as many fish on a 20 dollar reel as a 200 dollar reel. I've landed a king once by just using friction between my glove and the cork on the line and palming the spool. Nice drag systems are for wennies and office jobbers. Old Man of the Sea didn't need to stinking drag system.

#
    Leader. Any less expensive tapered leader will do. I've used regular old 8 lbs test in a pinch when I was younger, drunk and irresponsible. On a river, a tapered leader doesn't make that much of a difference. You can stretch the line out straight if you pinch it and pull it through a folded piece of rubber on the top of your hip waders.

#
    Fishing vest. All there nicely within reach. Ever fished with someone who didn't bring their vest? You end up being the unpaid nose flaring jaw clinching guide.

#
    Net. A net is nice so you don't loose any of those big ones before you can get a picture. Tall tales are good around the campfire, but most of us want to see the evidence. (and any nudes if got 'em)

#
    Rod. I kind of pride myself on not being a flashy fly fisherman. I am perfectly fine to with an $80, on sale rod as long as the action is reasonably fast. No Orvis custom rods for me. I have a habit of being in a hurry, so when I accidently break one of them, I don't have sulk in shame for the rest of the week. The last rod I broke was $13, off season, %75 off of markdown, Fred Meyer! $13, I guess it was destiny.

#
    Flies. Well made flies that don't fall apart after a few strikes. Those Shicetal River flies? Well, they speak for themselves. Land three fish and your fly comes out looking like Richard Simmons. Who'd wanna bite that?

#
    Fly line. This is tantamount! Line that piles up at the end or that wont shoot out straight is just plain frustrating. It's like your car running out of gas two blocks before the gas station, every time.

#
    Kayak. This is the only way to fish on lakes. It beats the hell out of float tubes, you cover more water and you stay warmer. Use the wind to your advantage and cast the areas as you drift by. Steering and balancing the boat, trying to not loose your paddle while casting makes it all the more challenging. Passing gas in kayak has an interesting speaker box effect too, bound to please most any teenaged fisherman.

#
    Hat and glasses. I'm not so sold on fish finders, but they are nice. It's the sunglasses I really need, two hours of glare off the water and everything starts looking like one of those bad Timothy Leary films. Plus, when the fishing is slow, it's fun to do Stevie Wonder impressions. And can you really call yourself a legitimate fisherman without hat? That's like a metal rock star without a stripper.

#
    Bug dope. Have you ever got out miles and miles to where your heading to and realize you forgot your insect repellent? It's like going on a date without your wallet and your condom.

#
    Fishing license. Ok, for all you cheaters out there that like to sneak into wedding parties, pretend your invited and eat all the free food. You's gots to buy your fishing license and help support the Fish and Game Department. They are the ones who work hard to make sure that they still have sweet paying state jobs each year and that fish populations are maintaining so you can still get some tail on the side.

#
    Bag balm. Ok, I'm not really going there. Well, I guess I will. We all know that after a hard day of riding out on the trail, a soothing swath of bag balm on that uncomfortable chaffing can be just the thing you need until you can get home and have your wife look at it.

All done. Bye bye.

WOW. I really don't know what to say other than you make some good points.

Default Good post...

Entertaining post. Thanks for sharing. I actually agree with most all of it.

But a $13 rod? It will be a cold day in hell when I put my Scott rods down.

And reels being used as line holders, I can agree with that to a point. 6 wt and under, I can see it. But with bigger fish, fresh and salt, I would rather have a nice smooth drag anyday.

For flies, I could not agree more. Same on the fly lines. While less expensive, these are very important variables.

Kayaks, yep, great advice. I have three back home in NC. Can't count the fish they put me near.

Sunglasses, again, great advice. Buy the best you can afford.

Surprised you forgot to mention Tilley hats. Everyone has one. Right? Love mine.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

One of the best posts I have seen all winter. Great job
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Dear Dan,

The $13 rod was a Berkley "Cherrywood", fiberglass. $13, I couldn't resist! But, the action was way too soft. Fishing with it was kind of like drunk sex, always on the verge of jackknifing. Soft action rods kind of wear me out and require much more energy to work with...

I used this rod for fishing graying off the Denali above Paxson last summer, grayling about the same size as the one you have pictured... no, actually they were bigger ...well, much bigger.

Anyways, I set the rod up against the side of my van and pulled out. When I heard the pole slide down the side of my van it was already to late. I done drove over the reel and the handel. ...all busted up. I got to display this proud moment in front of my 17 year old son as well. A little lesson in caretaking and responsibility.

I've had some nice Suncloud sunglasses slide off my face and commit suicide by jumping out the car window while driving the Parks last year too. I watched them roll into oncoming traffic in the rear view mirror. So, I'm gonna go with cheaper sunglasses this year.

I did manage to keep my wife last year and she's been fairly expensive. I was thinking about getting a newer lighter wieght model but I mangaged to keep her this long I might as well stay with a good thing.

Best regards,

Ben Joshing

Quote Originally Posted by baja4ever View Post
    Dear Dan,

I used this rod for fishing graying off the Denali above Paxson last summer, grayling about the same size as the one you have pictured... no, actually they were bigger ...well, much bigger.
    They always are.

Quote Originally Posted by baja4ever View Post

I did manage to keep my wife last year and she's been fairly expensive. I was thinking about getting a newer lighter wieght model but I mangaged to keep her this long I might as well stay with a good thing.

There are newer lighter weight models coming out every year, and just like fly rods, most are very fast. If your current model treats you good, it's not worth the upgrade.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here's my rankings (0 for stuff I don't use) I took out fishing license and changed kayak to watercraft.

Reels. A nice reel is nice but not nessisarily nessisary, a couple of posts at the reel seat would work ok

Leader. You gotta attach the hook to some line

Fishing vest. Stupid thing to waste your money on, hurt your back with and store a ton of unnecessary junk you'll never use or see again

Net. I like landing big fish w/o dragging them on the beach

Rod. To get you line out father you need a good rod

Flies. It all starts with a hook

Fly line. Without weight you can't get your hook to far without a flyline

Watercraft, super helpful for big water where the big fish are

# 7
    Hat and glasses. I like my eyes

# 9
    Bug dope. Usually not necessary when fishing cause of the breeze and the dragonflies

Bag balm.

Pliers/Forceps. for mashing barbs so you don't need them to remove hooks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

baja4ever that was hilarious! Especially the Richard Simmons reference!
    ha ha ha!

I've had some nice Suncloud sunglasses slide off my face and commit suicide by jumping out the car window while driving the Parks last year too.

Steering and balancing the boat, trying to not loose your paddle while casting makes it all the more challenging.
    Ever think of tying things off?

Default Truth takes comic form...

Great post. I laughed all the way through. How you got any serious points in there is a miracle.

REELS (and other gear): While good arguments can be made for quality gear - in the end, it's not all about the gear and often, especially wintertime, gear is easily overdone. (Is that why I get so many catalogs in winter?).

Sometimes an 8 wt fish, bites on 5 wt gear. It's satisfying to land a great fish on "value" gear though. Some buddies of mine fish with TCRs, but another fishes with a reel he's drilled out to lighten it and fly line he pulled out of a trash barrel. It's cracked from UV and age, but he's blessed with exceptional ability to see fish - and so, has no trouble making a perfect presentation. Some great Rainbows and Silvers have had no hesitation biting in spite of that crummy line. I've caught fish just fine on cheaper 5 wt gear, but eventually failures and evaluating replacement costs got me into a little better gear. My ole Pfleuger just quit working on one trip and a new $100 G Loomis (gift) started wobbling and howling when I hooked the biggest Dolly I've ever seen on Quartz Ck one fall (I thought it was a coho). So, I look for end of season discounts on better gear now when I need stuff - which isn't often.

#
    Fishing vest: Experience breeds organization, whether it's a well-sorted vest, or chest pack, whatever. But disorganization is often a flag ...."Ever fished with someone who didn't bring their vest? You end up being the unpaid nose flaring jaw clinching guide".

#
    Net. I might should reconsider this. A net is efficient and arguably spares the fish some stress. I don't carry one usually just because I enjoy fishing more when it's simple. It doesn't bother me (well, sometimes maybe) when a fish does the auto-release in close. It is true that "Tall tales are good ... but most... want to see the evidence".

#
    Hat and glasses. Glare and cataracts - both worth avoiding.

APM's experienced comments make sense to me too, esp "Pliers/Forceps. for mashing barbs..."

Thanks for the post.