Thread: Big john bay cabin

Default Big john bay cabin

Has anyone used it for spring or fall black bear? IF so, good vs bad? What is it like, how far from water to cabin? Many wolves on this side? Any good fishing around those parts? Thanks guys.

Default Info on Cabin

It looks like there would probably be some bears in there, there's probably bears on any salmon stream in the fall. That said the access via plane or boat requires at LEAST a 15ft tide so keep that in mind as you look (You CANNOT use the highway from Kake to get to the cabin, against the law for the fall hunt). Hike is 1 mile through mud to get to cabin if not on 15ft tide. Can't speak to the wolves but it appears there are some salmon. Tidal area so pretty long run for ocean fishing very tidal dependant.

Good luck!

Default ? Thanks Gooch

A lot of lookers but guess no users. Thanks for the input gooch. All the help is appreciated. Does anyone have pictures of this cabin?

Default Reserve USA

There are photos of each cabin on the ReserveUSA website under the cabin description.

Thats a huge tidal area to contend with. Good luck.

Right about the tidal flat been stuck bear hunting on that one. I would recommend a spring hunt ,I guided spring hunts there ten years ago lots of bears . If you did a fall thing I would rent a boat from Kake ten minute run to big John from boat harbor. The creeks around the cabin or not great salmon rivers better ones up the pass. I have been doing fall hunts the past three years up Rocky pass and lots of wolves so many on some streams they will run the bears off. good luck. Lots of ducks and geese in fall.If you do get a boat you will have to work around the high tide.
    Jim

I also heard there's lots of fish around Irish (below fish ladder there) and another creek (kushneain?) to south, but the navigation through pass is more than a little tricky - any comment about that (hazards, recommended watercraft, whether to attempt unguided)?

Gooch, where did you get the info about it being against the law to hike into the cabin from the road for hunting during the fall?

Default Vehicle Restrictions

Hey JDB3,

Here is the info on using vehicles. You CANNOT under any circumstances get to where you hunt (includes hiking from there) using a highway vehicle. Units 2 and 3.

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_trap...0_info_faq.pdf

Gooch

This concerns POW Island, not Kupreanof Island. Unit 3 is talked about but I do not see where there was a controlled use area created for Kupreanof. The original intent was on Kuiu Island. It also says you can transport to a Forest Service Cabin so the WV2008's original question should be answered in the afirmative. Am I missing something? Jim

Default kake

Bear guide,

Any info about boat rental in Kake would be appreciated. I looked for a rental and could not find anyone. Thanks.

Default Right and Wrong

Hey JDB3,

I made an error - you can drive to a Forest Service Cabin and hunt from there on foot or a boat. That is a slightly new twist I didn't read before but I agree with it so in WV_2008's case he could drive down the highway from Kake, park, and hike into the cabin. He could not see a bear along the way and harvest it. You cannot drive somewhere and camp and hike from there however.

The law DOES include all of unit 3 not just Kuiu and POW. Petersburg, Wrangell, Zarembo, Kuiu, and POW are all included in the new law. They were worried hunting would shift from POW to the other areas.

You can drive from a ferry or airport to a lodge, boat ramp, or forest service cabin and then hunt on foot or from a boat.

I think this will cut down on harvest some (October should be fantastic). Hopefully it helps to achieve goals on sow harvest.

Gooch

Default I heard the same

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

You can drive from a ferry or airport to a lodge, boat ramp, or forest service cabin and then hunt on foot or from a boat.

Gooch

A fellar at the fish and game also said that all "public" launches will most likely be acceptable dispersal points. The drive to a forest cabin and hunt from there will also be permissible. I am not to sure about driving to a boat launch, parking the truck and go hunting from there though?

Default That you can do

If you have a boat and it is an 'established' boat launch. Can't drive to the 108 Creek on POW for example and put a canoe and hunt. You Could however put in at Whale Pass and motor from there. Or row.