Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting boots

Default Sheep hunting boots

What are the best sheep hunting boots you can get, price is not a concern?

The ones that work for you. Preference is highly individualized. Check the archives lots on this. I have gone from Kofalchs to La Sportives

I tried Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s last year and they are not working out for me. Good boots mine just don't fit quite right.
    http://www.kenetrek.com/products.asp?dept=12

Switched to Lowa's Hunter GTX Extreme and these work better for me. Still have to put a few more miles on them but they feel good so far.
    http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/Sho...egory=2&Type=M

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Agree Lowa's

I agree that the Hunter GTX Extreme are awesome boots, but you need to break them and get you feet use to them. At First I was disappointed, and now I love the boots. Great support, warm and will keep your feet dry. They are going to cost you around 3 bills or more.

Terry

The most recommended boots in previous inquiries are usually the Lowa Sheep Hunters or one of the Cabelas Meindl's (Denali, Hunters, Canada).

I recently picked up a pair of Cabela's Meindl Hunter 200 in the Cabela's bargain cave for a great price. Haven't put any miles on them yet but hope they live up to the hype.

That being said, the best sheep hunting boots are the ones that fit YOUR feet well and allow you to hike long distances with comfort. Try on lots of different boots and find the ones that fit the best, then try different insoles to further perfect fit and comfort. I've put many miles on a pair of Scarpa Charmoz, including sheep and goat hunts, for the past two year and they still have life left in them. Better to have comfortable pair of boots you have to throw away after your hunt than have a rugged pair that hurt your feet everyday.

A list of companies making good hiking and mountaineering boots and stores in the Anchorage area carrying these brands:
    Lowa- AMH, REI, Barney's ?
    Meindl- Cabela's
    Scarpa- AMH, REI
    La Sportiva- AMH, REI
    Garmont- Wilderness Way in Soldotna
    Kayland- ?
    AKU- Barney's
    Asolo- AMH, REI, Peter Glenn
    Danner- Sportman's Warehouse
    Kennetrek- Sportman's Warehouse, Barney's

Guys, feel free to correct me one the stores above or add others if you know of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    The most recommended boots in previous inquiries are usually the Lowa Sheep Hunters or one of the Cabelas Meindl's (Denali, Hunters, Canada).

I recently picked up a pair of Cabela's Meindl Hunter 200 in the Cabela's bargain cave for a great price. Haven't put any miles on them yet but hope they live up to the hype.

That being said, the best sheep hunting boots are the ones that fit YOUR feet well and allow you to hike long distances with comfort. Try on lots of different boots and find the ones that fit the best, then try different insoles to further perfect fit and comfort. I've put many miles on a pair of Scarpa Charmoz, including sheep and goat hunts, for the past two year and they still have life left in them. Better to have comfortable pair of boots you have to throw away after your hunt than have a rugged pair that hurt your feet everyday.

A list of companies making good hiking and mountaineering boots and stores in the Anchorage area carrying these brands:
    Meindl- Cabela's
    Scarpa- AMH, REI
    La Sportiva- AMH, REI
    Kayland- ?
    AKU- Barney's

Guys, feel free to correct me one the stores above or add others if you know of them.
    This is a very helpful reply, what does AMH stand for? I am sure I know the place, just can't think of it now?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    This is a very helpful reply, what does AMH stand for? I am sure I know the place, just can't think of it now?
    AMH = Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking, located on Spenard Road across from the Bear Tooth Theatrepub.

On the Lowa's, REI doesn't carry the "sheephunter" version, but I know that Barney's does. I have the Lowa GTX, which is basically the sheephunter with a little bit lower cuffs around the calves. Best boot I have ever owned, without question.

Partner and I got to compare the Lowa Hunters and the Scarpas this year. Not sure if there are different model Scarpas or not, so keep that in mind if you know there are. Here is what I noticed on two sheep hunts. Nothing scientific, just observations.

The Lowa seemed stiff to me, but the Scarpa is stiffer.
    The Scarpa soul is harder rubber than the Lowa. This will make a longer lasting boot in the shale and other rocks, but creates more slippage when traversing glaciers.
    The Scarpa is designed for crampon attachment, the Lowa is not.
    My Lowas fit like a glove out of the box. His Scarpas were broke in with a few weeks wearing them at work.

This was the second season on my Lowas. I left for TMA the first year right out of the box. No problems.
    This was the first season on his Scarpas.

I think both boots are good and it would be ideal to try on any boot before you buy. Everyone's feet are all a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post

Meindl- Cabela's
    Scarpa- AMH, REI
    La Sportiva- AMH, REI
    Kayland- ?
    AKU- Barney's

This is a pretty comprehensive list. I believe AMH carries AKU also, or at least did a couple of years ago when I got my GTX Extremes there.

Prob should also add the Hanwags (http://www.lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php) to the list.

AMH does carry AKUs. I forgot if it was mentioned above, REI carries Asolo as well. I don't think Barney's carries Kenetreks. The only ones in town are the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (400 thinsulate). There is a version without the thinsulate, but these are not offered in a Wide size, as the mountain extremes are. i have the kenetrek mountain extremems, work well for me now, but i have yet to put a lot of miles in one day on them, which i plan to soon.

"The Scarpa is designed for crampon attachment, the Lowa is not", for this quote from above, the 'crampon attachment' is the posterior/rear part that allows the clip type. you can put strap-on crampons on the lowas and kenetreks or any other stiff soled boot.

the lowas ran small and were stiffer then i wanted. but they have been a success for many.

pick a day where you have a few hours at the end of the day, take your socks you plan on wearing sheep hunting and go to Barney's, REI, AMH, & Sportsmans (the first three are right near each other) and try them all on. go at the end of the day when your feet are slightly larger (assuming you have been on your feet most of the day). take any special insoles (superfeet) you plan on using with you.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's a toss-up between weight and support, but possibly, probably, a bigger consideration is how yer gonna cross a swift running stream that goes downhill.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

And then there are the plastics...

I had the Cabela's/Meindl Canada Hunter for years. Excellent boot.

In 2007 I got the Lowa Sheephunter GTX. Excellent boot.

If you have any knee/hip/anckle/back issues consider seeing a podiatrist for an evaluation. Knowing exactly they type of support you require in a boot should help narrow your range of choices.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    And then there are the plastics...
    I've heard about those.

If I'm right,,,,,
    They're expensive.
    They hinge, but don't bend sideways.
    You can take them off, take the liners out put the outsides back on, and ford streams without hurting your feet or getting them wet.

Is that right???

I dunno how comfortable they'd be, but apparently they work.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have the Asolo Titans that I got for a goat hunt last year in Kodiak and they worked real well. I found the boots for over $100 cheaper then REI at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've heard about those.

If I'm right,,,,,
    They're expensive.
    They hinge, but don't bend sideways.
    You can take them off, take the liners out put the outsides back on, and ford streams without hurting your feet or getting them wet.

Is that right???

I dunno how comfortable they'd be, but apparently they work.

Smitty of the North
    The Koflachs I have came with some slip on hip waders that cover the liners and go to your hips and keep you dry. Boots work great once they fit to your feet, this involves warming them in your oven per directions and molding them to your feet, got mine at Barneys. So far so good, no problems and they are comfortable and have great support and will not get all cut up like leather does.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Hoose,

Wilderness Way used to carry a couple models of the Lowa boots. They made a change two years ago and started carrying more of the Garmont line but I still thought they had the Lowa Sheep Hunter and maybe the GTX. Garmont have good reviews and makes a couple models that look like they would make good sheep hunting boots. I lived in Soldotna for a couple of years and found some good deals at Wilderness Way from time to time. If you haven't been in there in a while it may be worth a stop and could save a trip to Anchorage.

All the boot companies I listed have many different models ranging from ridgid mountaineering to easy hiking and the different stores carry different models.

I've found that alot of boots, no matter how good, don't have very good insoles, at least for me. A good pair of insoles can tighten up the heal pocket or take up a little extra play on the top of the foot to really make your boots fit great. I found the guys at AMH the most knowledgeable at getting you a pair of insoles that will perfect the boots to your feet, and this was walking in with a pair of boots I bought at REI.

Barney's can be tough to shop in the Winter because they move out alot of their hunting gear to set up their ski gear. They do have a three or so of their most popular boots out all year though. Just be carefull in Barney's because with all their ultralight hunting gear you may just get sucked into a couple more sheep hunting must haves.

Default Boot Country

I got my lowa's at boot country, they even have some angles to walk up, which help you see how they are going to feel while climbing.

Terry

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I had the Cabela's/Meindl Canada Hunter for years. Excellent boot.
    I wore these on my last sheep hunt. It is the only boot I will wear now for sheep or goats.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast