Thread: .460 Rowland Solids

Default .460 Rowland Solids

I am looking to work up loads for a 230gr - 250gr Solid bullet for my .460 Rowland conversion unit. I can find all sorts of 180gr on up reloading data, but all are for JHP bullets. The conversion resides on my Colt steel Commander. She shoots accurately and flawlessly with the commercially purchased 230gr HP's. Should I start with the same loads as for the HP's or does anyone have any other data or helpful advice? Thanks...

Try looking on www.RealGuns.com There are a good series of articles on the .460Rowland. Also, Accurate powder has data on the .460. It might be on their website.

I should have read your post better! There should be no difference between solids and hollow points-as long as they're the same weight and profile. I wouldn't worry about it. Bullet profile can affect feeding and bullet weight can affect pressure, but missing the little hole in front shouldn't (won't) affect anything.

Switching bullet styles or brands can have a drastic impact on pressures. I've been loading the 460 rowland for a year now. In over 30 years of hand loading I've never seen a cartridge that shows the extremes when changing bullets as the rowland. Changing bullets in the roland alters pressures and speeds drastically. I also wanted to shoot FMJ ammo I ended up going with the 230 grain hornady flat point at around 1200 fps. Also be careful when using data for AA#7 powder. Most of the data out there is for the older powder. The #7 made for the last several years is faster burning. Go to AA website. They have current data for #7 in the rowland.

JME

Default Reply

375...pm sent...thanks.