Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage Concealed Carry?

Default Anchorage Concealed Carry?

I was at the gunshop at Old Seward buying an IWB holster for my 1911 when I wanted to confirm that concealed carry without a permit was OK. The guy behind the counter said, "not in certain municipalities", Anchorage being one of them.

Now it was my understanding that Alaska was shall-issue and you didn't need a permit. Am I mistaken?

Said gunshop employee said if I passed the "attitude test" if confronted by a cop, I would probably be arlight, and they wouldn't bust me for something so low on their list.

Is he right? Was I wrong in thinking concealed carry was enabled everywhere and not "Podunk, AK"?

Sounds to me like "said gunshop employee" was having a power trip, or just misinformed. The 2003 legislative action made carried concealed in Alaska legal without a permit, and municipal law does not trump state law.

With that said there are many posted buildings and business who do not allow carrying, whether or not you have a permit.

When in doubt, consult the state website regarding carry laws, or go BS with Steve at AK Tactical. He'll give it to you straight!

When permitless carry first became law, the little boy mayor we......er someone just sent to DC thought he could play the "homerule" card and exempt Anchorage. The state smacked him down because he was in violation of the state's pre-emption law that prohibited him from implementing local gun laws.
    You can carry anywhere in Anchorage except for those places specifically prohibited by state law.
    Now what ?

Default State Law Governs

State Law governs.

I am not sure what "Shall Issue" is.

I have read the statue (in part) and recall that

If interacting with a police officer, you are required to inform that officer you are armed and then follow instructions from there. To not do that puts you in violation of the law. How early in the interaction is a gray area.

If entering a dwelling, you are required to inform the resident that you are armed.

Federal buildings, banks, and domestic abuse shelters are among the places you are not allowed to carry, concealed or not.

I am not sure if the owner of a public facility (restaurant, sporting goods store, gun shop, department store for example) can ban carrying.

As always, cross-check anything you find on the internet. Especially corss-check this post because I am working from memory and also because you can get in a LOT of trouble if you believe something that it not correct.

Lost Sheep

Palmer and Anchorage are two that I know prohibit "open carry" of a side arm. Concealed carry has been passed at the state and so fine even in towns that do prohibit open carry. So if you are otherwise legal to have a handgun in Alaska you may carry it concealed.

Andy

Straight from the State of Alaska web site:

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.
    A person 21 or older may be charged with Misconduct involving Weapons in the 5th degree under AS 11.61.220 if s/he
    • fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun
    • fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, or
    • carries the weapon concealed within another person's residence, unless s/he has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there, whether or not the person has a concealed handgun permit.
    Here is the link to the site:

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx

So you can carry in a bank unless it has a sign posted that you can't. Here in Ketchikan, the hospital does post a no CCW Sign.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.

A person 21 or older may be charged with Misconduct involving Weapons in the 5th degree under AS 11.61.220 if s/he
    • fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun
    • fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, or
    • carries the weapon concealed within another person's residence, unless s/he has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there, whether or not the person has a concealed handgun permit.

So you can carry in a bank unless it has a sign posted that you can't. Here in Ketchikan, the hospital does post a no CCW Sign.

Hope this helps.
    You may NOT have a firearm in a bank that is FDIC insured unless you are law enforcement or a licensed armed guard acting in the line of duty. That one is federal law thatís been on the books many years, don't even think about doing it!

Andy

"school yards" mean "school grounds", correct? so you can't even be carrying and go pick up your kid at the school without ever getting out of your car?

thanks

School yards can be translated to mean school property...

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    "school yards" mean "school grounds", correct? so you can't even be carrying and go pick up your kid at the school without ever getting out of your car?

thanks
    Unless it's Wasillia High school where they have the GUN shows
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Interesting..You will never see a gun show on ASD property..

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You may NOT have a firearm in a bank that is FDIC insured unless you are law enforcement or a licensed armed guard acting in the line of duty. That one is federal law thatís been on the books many years, don't even think about doing it!

Andy
    This has been discussed at length in several different places, and no one has ever said this.

Proof please?

As for the fellow at the gun shop. He's dead wrong. You can CC or OC anywhere in Anchortown or, for that matter, the state. The only exceptions being schools, courthouses, federally licensed childcare facilities, post offices, and bars. Restaurants that serve alcohol must be CC'd in.

I'd suggest looking at the state statues, as the actual wording of the actual law is the only info that really matters.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Sounds to me like "said gunshop employee" was having a power trip, or just misinformed.
    Most likely misinformed, that seems to be the most common. Back in my home state store employees/owners weren't often a reliable source of info. This is why I came here to ask, I figured if anyone knew it would be posters of the handgun section.

I had googled it, but got a bunch of mumbo jumbo and an article saying exactly what's been said here, but dated 2005. Thought maybe a law had changed here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    I am not sure what "Shall Issue" is.
    To my understanding, it means that if you apply for a permit and you pass the legal qualifications they shall issue you a permit without question. Unlike California which has "may-issue" meaning the boss-man police officer decides weather or not to give you a CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    If entering a dwelling, you are required to inform the resident that you are armed.
    What about someone's vehicle?

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I always feel better when I have state documentation instead of word of mouth (though I believed you.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Restaurants that serve alcohol must be CC'd in.
    CC'd meaning concealed carry? So in other words, open carry not allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol? What's the reason for this?

Thanks for info!
    Jason

Hope this helps.
    We need to fix that. It doesn't make any sense for a parent to have to disarm just to drive onto the grounds to drop off and pick their kids up from school. My guess is most who carry don't and take their chances.

Who would be a good legislator receptive to the idea?
    Now what ?

Cool Carry in banks...

I've carried for years in banks, and will continue to do so .GR

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    We need to fix that. It doesn't make any sense for a parent to have to disarm just to drive onto the grounds to drop off and pick their kids up from school. My guess is most who carry don't and take their chances.

Who would be a good legislator receptive to the idea?
    I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind having this one amended. I'd love to hear if anyone knows who to write/talk to. I'd also like to see the law that doesn't allow OC in restaurants where alcohol is served fixed. It would be nice to OC there, so long as your not drinking.

Jon

Default Here in Wa...

If it's a bar..off limits to guns.If a restaurant and open to minors...ok to carry.GR

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Palmer and Anchorage are two that I know prohibit "open carry" of a side arm. Concealed carry has been passed at the state and so fine even in towns that do prohibit open carry. So if you are otherwise legal to have a handgun in Alaska you may carry it concealed.

Andy
    Any supporting information about this? I have never heard of "open carry" being limited.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Any supporting information about this? I have never heard of "open carry" being limited.

To my knowledge there is none. I OC all over town and I've never had anyone outside of the goofball at a certain gun store in town say anything. See other people do it fairly often as well.

Check out the Alaska section of www.opencarry.org

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    To my knowledge there is none. I OC all over town and I've never had anyone outside of the goofball at a certain gun store in town say anything. See other people do it fairly often as well.

Check out the Alaska section of www.opencarry.org

Jon
    Open carry around town is pretty much a dumb idea IMO if you are allowed to CC. Why would you want to let everyone know you are armed and make yourself a target. Not to mention that you make yourself look like an unbalanced redneck. Carrying openly isn't going to change people's concept of people who O.C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast