Thread: Fur hats

Default Fur hats

can anyone tell me how many fox it takes to have a hat made? I caught one so far and would like to have like a trapper hat made. Thanks

One should be enough. Call Denali fur and leather he is awsome.

Default Takes just one

Pointy, takes just one fox. I make hats, btw. PM me if you're interested, heading to town next month and can make one up for you around then. Made some for several members on this site and they are all real pleased with them. Got some pics posted in the Alaska Gear forum.

Default Thanks

for the info guys, Bushrat I was planning on sending it off for tanning. Unfortunately I will be moving out of state here at the end of Feb. I'm still not a 100% on what to do with it yet but can I mail it to you at a later date if I go with the hat? Thanks, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Pointy, takes just one fox. I make hats, btw. PM me if you're interested, heading to town next month and can make one up for you around then. Made some for several members on this site and they are all real pleased with them. Got some pics posted in the Alaska Gear forum.

Please allow me to sing Bushrat's praises.

I got a beaver hat from him before Christmas and all I can say it it's awesome and probably worth way more than what I paid. You should definitely check with him first.

He'll treat you right.
    Now what ?

Thumbs up

I second Stevelyn's praise for Bushrats' hats. Great skill and workmanship. But be careful who you let try it on. I have already had to make another order.

Default otterman

I am a fan of otterman's wife's work, she does INCREDIBLE work.

Make one yourself. I made several white fox,red,beaver and one out of wolf. I use to pick up leather from salvation army and a pattern from Alaska fur exchange.

Thanks guys for the info. PA18tony where is the AK fur exchange? Is it in Fairbanks? How skilled do you need to be to attempt it yourself?

Default How Skilled?

Chris, if you're competent with needle and thread you should do fine if you have a good pattern. Likely won't come out as good as one made by someone who has done it before, but certainly it would keep your head warm <grin>. If you can run a sewing machine it's even easier.

Just drop me a line Chris after you get the fur back from tannery if you want to send my way. And if you get a pattern and want to make it yourself feel free to drop a line too and I can give you some pointers.
    Best,

Alaska fur exchange is in Anchorage

Thanks again fellas, Mark unless I get the marbles to do it myself I'll be lookin you up. Northway said he would help with the logistics if I need him to. Thanks again guys, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    Thanks again fellas, Mark unless I get the marbles to do it myself I'll be lookin you up. Northway said he would help with the logistics if I need him to. Thanks again guys, Chris
    Since you're in Fairbanks, Alaska Raw Fur out on Dale Road would probably be more more convenient and I know they have patterns available for sale too.
    Now what ?