Thread: Moose Sausage

Question Moose Sausage

Here is the current weekend plan to make some moose sausage. I have purchased a Cabela’s 30lbs German Sausage Seasoning packet (like the one seen here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=80061

Take about 24-25 lbs of moose meat, and mix with 5-6 lbs of beef fat. Grind fat when half frozen, freeze fat again and then grind a second time. Grind meat, mix meat with fat and grind, and then grind meat and fat again. Stuff sausage per instruction on Cabela’s box, vaccum pac sausage and freeze, if tastes good try again if it stinks give to neighbors.

Does anyone think my meat to fat ratio is too little or too much, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Fine Grind

I would be careful about grinding your mix so many times, Unless you wanted a finer texture for your meat. I have not ruined my sausage but ended up with a very smooth like texture. Some thing to think about. I use about a 80-20 mix with very fatty pork meat or a little less for a leaner breakfast sausage. This was with venison not moose. As always have a hot skillet there to fry up a patty before you add all the spices/finish. Best part of the work is to taste test it. Good luck with it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    I would be careful about grinding your mix so many times
    +1

I would just grind the fat, then the meat, then the two together. You ratio sounds good to me. I prefer all my game to be a little bit leaner, thats part of the reason i hunt.

As suggested I did the grind fat, grind meat and then mixed and grind. Made 15lbs of the sausage and it worked well seems like more of a breakfast sausage than a sausage for a bun, so then I just made burger by adding some of the fat to the other 15 lbs, burger turned out real good. I think I need to now get some jerky going with this weather this is a good time to get caught up on things, heck this is a great time to smoke meat if you can find an area that your smoker won't blow away.

New grinder works great better than anything I've owned before.

Have you thought about using pork instead of beef fat? Personally I think it tastes much better and doesn't give you that wax taste, but everyone likes it a different way.

Wyatt

I wanted to use bacon butts but where I went they did not have any so for $2.95 a lb I bought the fattest bacon they had. Pork is premium fat!

Default mmmm Pork Fat

I know the idea is to have a leaner red meat but pork fat is the best tasting by far for sausage. Prob not the best for the heart!

Glad to hear it turned out for you.

Mike

Default 100% moose meat sausage

We only use 100% moose in our sausage...meat with fat from the rump. Ground by hand with elbow grease Spices used depends on what the sausage is for...tonight’s dinner is pizza so you can bet there will be some dried Italian herbs and some crumbled Hot Thai peppers from last years garden.

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Moose fat flavor

so how does moose fat taste? I have yet to shoot a moose so I dont have anything to go on. I know that the deer I have processed are all corn feed (Iowa and ND) and there fat is terrible so the use of beef and pork fats is needed.

Default Moose Sausage

I use only 100% moose fat in my sausage at a ratio of 10-15% and it turns out to be a fine finished product. I have found that lean meat stays good and moist if not overcooked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sweet

Nice shot there PC. Looks like you have it dialed.

Default moose sausage

what spices do you use? My buddy gave me 3# of moose burger so I thought I'd just mix in the spices and make breakfast patties.
    Last edited by indigodogma; 01-13-2012 at 16:32. Reason: wrong recipeint

This is my breakfast sausage recipe
    8 pounds of meat, ground
    2 1/2 tablespons Salt
    2 tablespoons Black pepper
    2 1/2 tablespoons Thyme
    2 teaspoons Rosemary
    4 tablespoons Brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Nutmeg
    2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons Red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup Maple syrup
    You should be able to cut it down for haw much meat you have. I like to grind the thyme and rosemary in an old coffee grinder otherwise my kids complain about picking twigs and leaves out of their teeth. After you mix it all together cover it with saran wrap to keep air out and let it rest overnight in the fridge. That allows all the flavors to meld together.
    Last edited by Ak Bird Brain; 01-13-2012 at 16:56. Reason: cause copy and paste garbled it!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Throw a little sage in your b-fast sausage...mmm, good.

Default Awesome Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    This is my breakfast sausage recipe
    8 pounds of meat, ground
    2 1/2 tablespons Salt
    2 tablespoons Black pepper
    2 1/2 tablespoons Thyme
    2 teaspoons Rosemary
    4 tablespoons Brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Nutmeg
    2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons Red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup Maple syrup
    You should be able to cut it down for haw much meat you have. I like to grind the thyme and rosemary in an old coffee grinder otherwise my kids complain about picking twigs and leaves out of their teeth. After you mix it all together cover it with saran wrap to keep air out and let it rest overnight in the fridge. That allows all the flavors to meld together.
    Good recipe, added 20% pork fat and a little sage, deleted the maple syrup. Made the best sausage I have ever ate!