Thread: Preserving Shrimp

Default Preserving Shrimp

How do you all preserve your shrimp for the winter? I usually freeze them in a ziplock bag, and then boil them when I am ready to eat them.
    We cooked some for people, and they seemed mushy to them, and little smelly, which I agree with, but don't mind. So I am wondering how they preserve those shrimp that are sold frozen in stores, which are kind of rubbery, but solid structured.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Vadim

Put them in a zip-lock bag, fill bag with water and zip, put that bag inside another bag (the inside one is bound to leak), and freeze. No freezer burn and I've had shrimp 2 years old that were great. If your shrimp are mushy, that may have nothing to do with how your preserve them. Sometimes you just get bunches of mushy shrimp. I find that the case especially near the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    How do you all preserve your shrimp for the winter? I usually freeze them in a ziplock bag, and then boil them when I am ready to eat them.
    We cooked some for people, and they seemed mushy to them, and little smelly, which I agree with, but don't mind. So I am wondering how they preserve those shrimp that are sold frozen in stores, which are kind of rubbery, but solid structured.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Vadim

Most store bought shrimp (ie. shrimp rings etc) are pre cooked before freezing.

Default The best way to preserve your shrimp

is to put them where I can't find 'em

Seriously, though... Shrimp are extremely vulnerable to dessication/freezer burn, which would cause the sort of issues you are describing. The easiest way to prevent that is to add water to your ziplock, or better yet, one of those fancy P.E.T. freezer containers and freeze the shrimp in a solid block of ice. A fancy trick I learned while in school in south Louisiana is to bring a bucket of seawater home with you, boil it (pathogens), let it cool, and freeze your shrimp in it. I'm not sure it made a huge difference, but it sure smelled briney and fresh when you thawed the shrimp.
    Last edited by meat_purveyor; 01-15-2009 at 09:39. Reason: spelling, more info
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Default Ziploc plastic containers

Try the Ziploc HARD containers with lids. Arrange shrimp in container and fill just short of the top allowing room for freezing expansion. Smaller containers will yield about a pound of shrimp each. Thaw by running cold water over the open container or by placing in fridge. No freezer burn and guaranteed to taste fresh.

-Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I have about 20 plastic 1qt. containers that i bought at walmart. I put my shrimp, they hold about 20-25 shrimp, in these and add just enough water to cover the shrimp then freeze them, after frozen i take the container and hold it under running water for a second or two to release the frozen block of shrimp from the container and then wrap the block of shrimp in plastic wrap and stack it in the freezer, they stack nice and tight like building a brick wall. In other words i use the containers for a mold until the shrimp and water freeze solid.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Lotsa 'Lil Guys!

Wish I could catch enough shrimp to build a brick wall in MY freezer!

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I have about 20 plastic 1qt. containers that i bought at walmart. I put my shrimp, they hold about 20-25 shrimp, in these and add just enough water to cover the shrimp then freeze them, after frozen i take the container and hold it under running water for a second or two to release the frozen block of shrimp from the container and then wrap the block of shrimp in plastic wrap and stack it in the freezer, they stack nice and tight like building a brick wall. In other words i use the containers for a mold until the shrimp and water freeze solid.
    I have done this in the past and it worked very well. This year I pre-wrapped the shrimp in freezer paper and then vacuum packed them. I can get more of them bugs in there this way. Battered shrimp, halibut, and onion rings on the menu for tomorrow.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What time you serving those up Spoiled One? Sounds way good...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    What time you serving those up Spoiled One? Sounds way good...

Drinks start at 5pm with dinner to follow.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

[quote=RSKY BIZ;413747]Wish I could catch enough shrimp to build a brick wall in MY freezer!

Doc [/quote

maybe you need some better fishing pots

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default old fashioned vaccuum packer

i did a post on this before and will share again as it is the best way to preserve spot prawns. ive been told that sidestripes dont freeze well and its not a common practice but from research i dont think most subsistence fishermen catch sidestripes. we have frozen coon stripes this way as well.

ok first you need to freeze the shrimp on a sheet pan and have them not touching as much as possible. after they are good and froze break them loose from the sheetpan and throw them in a collander. take the collander and run them under super cold water shaking and breaking them up as you wet them. just run them under the water to get a good coat over all your shrimp you dont want to start thawing them. next place the collander in the freezer and freeze for about an hour. take them out and reglaze with water breaking them up as you do this and place back in the freezer. take out after an hour and bust them apart again and place in ziplocs or whatever heavy plastic bag you have available. now you can pour out as many shrimp as you like and with the glazing they will stay as fresh as possible as long as possible. you cant beat glazing for freezer preservation. vaccuum packing works but water is free and does the same thing without chance of poking a hole in your bag and allowing oxygen near you catch.

Default Akriverrat,

That's pretty awesome. IQF at home! I'll definatly give it a try.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Lightbulb Pickled Shrimp

Hello all I have a recipe for pickled shrimp but requires the shrimp to be stored cold. I live on the Mississipi gulf coast and looking for a way that I may perserve them at room temp like in a pantry, farmers market you get the idea, looked all over the internet but nothing solid. Give me a feasible method and I will share my recipe or at leat a verision of it. I can tell you that the shrimp must be cooked before pickling. This will elemate that mushing smelling after frezing. I know my foodS I have been a Sous Scef for 25 Years give me you ideas @ scottgoff@yahoo.com but please do not get offended if I do not reply right away it's shrimping sesion here but I will get to you
    scottgoff@yohoo.com

Default ALL Alaska Method

Get over to Alaska butcher supply and pick up the flat styrofoam trays and a roll of the very heavy perforated covers they carry ESPECIALLY for shrimp. No more holes in the bag when vaccum sealing, and I would challange ANY other method to keep them longer or keep them fresher!
    If those shrimp are handled well from the begining, nothing about this packaging or storage method would make them smelly or mushy.
    Mike

Default What kind of water?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Are you using fresh water or salt water?

Thank you,
    Juneau Fisher

Default Freezer paper and vac. pack

Follow Spoiled Ones advice. Leave shells on. Rinse with cold fresh water, put desired amount onto freezer paper amd wrap making sure to get at least 2 wraps of paper around them and vacuum pac. I do at least 100 pounds per year this way, and last years taste as good as this years. Have been doing this for several years, and have no complaints. I have the occassional pack that gets a hole, but you usually know right away. Between having the shells on, the feshwater glaze, the freezer paper and the vac pac, the seal is great. I do keep the ones with eggs seperate and eat those while they are fresh. Love them bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a vacuum sealer...squeeze the air out and do the manual seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Juneau Fisher View Post
    Are you using fresh water or salt water?

Thank you,
    Juneau Fisher
    fresh water

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692