Thread: AOD Rabbit hunt Oct. 7 SAT.

Default AOD Rabbit hunt Oct. 7 SAT.

OK, looks like we just got our first frost here. So with that. How about Oct. 7 a Sat. we all met somewhere and hunt them little critters. Now if anyone has a place they are willing to share please do. My lucky spot now has a house right in the middle of it. WE can discuss where we all can meet at and what time. Look foward in seeing all of you.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Not a good day for me.... It is my youngest's 4th birthday and the mandatory b-day party.

Has anyone seen any of the little furballs yet? Are they starting to turn white yet?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

there is a spot off the hatcher pass road, willow side, that is usually a good rabbit producer. Plenty of little walkways and such, but dense undergrowth.

Off the eklutna exit (the mountain side) there is a chugach electric road and a defunct power station, good trails there and usually some bunnies.

The knik river access is a good spot, but probably too wet.

Portage road has a pretty good population of rabbits, but that might be too wet also.

Just wondering what the significance of the first frost was?

Just got back from the Tok area with the wife and did really well (got 9 but could have taken more). Huge snow storm on the way (Slana to Tok) with high winds, blowing snow and icy roads. I luv to hunt bunnies almost as much as I do eating them. Most had white heads/ears, white feet and white bellies. A couple were actually almost pure white with just a little gray on the backs top of the heads.

Anyway, was just wondering about the first frost deal.

Usally we wait tell the first frost and that will kill any worms or parasire(sp) in the rabbits.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

sunday the 8th is looking better for me. Not many people replying to this. Is there still some interest?

Im always down for some WABBIT hunting . either willow area or down by portage sounds good to me, just name the time, i will be there
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

From what it sounds like the 7 is bad timing. So when I gusses well wait to find a better weekend for everyone
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'd love to join the AOD hunt!

I get two days off a month, every other Friday with this Fri. being one of them (I will be out in the field either chasing "bow's" or little critters this Fri.). If I had a week or so advance notice I could possibly swing a Sat. or Sun.

got three today in a little over an hour and a half at my hatcher pass road /deception creek spot. seemed like alot of rabbits there. the beagle was running them well despite the rain/crap weather.

rimfirematt,

You got any favorite recipes to share on rabbits?

Default double dipped stripps

Take flour, garlic powder, pepper and a good helping of basil. mix that in a bowl or plate. Dredge small game strips in this then dunk them in a bowl of water, then take those same strips and dredge them through the flour mix again. Fry in Hot oil. For ruffed grouse I prefer dipping in a mix of honey and sweet hot mustard. rabbit and spruce hen I just put ketchup on. Pretty good eating

Or get a bootle of executive chef seasoning and put on them and fry them like deer meat.

Im actually trying to make jerky out of these ones

aks thunder chicken1 for some good recipies i know he has some