Thread: angled vs straight..

Default angled vs straight..

Maybe a dumb question but I have to ask...

Is there any down fall to an angled spotter vs a straight one?...

I'm looking at the ProStaff..I think I'd like the angled, is there an advantage to a straight one?...is there any difference in clarity etc...?

Thanks
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

They both have their advantages. I am tall so I jumped on the angled version as it makes it more ergonomicand allows me to carry a shorter, lighter tripod. Looking straight and level they are pretty even, Looking up at mountains I find the angled easier, looking down over a ridge while trying to hide from a sheep the advantage goes to the straight since it is easier to stay out of sight. The straight scopes also pack a little easier. They both have their advanatages you just need to ponder how you hunt and how you will be using it to make the decision. Spend some time of course checking them out in the store and go from there.

thanks for the reply LJ, I never really thought about how I was going to use it, ie, looking up or down etc...ugghh....had to complicate things for me didn't you...lol

I assume that the image you see while looking through 2 of the same scopes is the same even though one is angled and one is straight....is that the case?...
    pull my finger....

I could see no discernable optical difference between the angled and straight of any given scope model.

thanks LJ...now I just need to decide which one I want...
    pull my finger....

To each his own. I like mine angled and if I need a lower profile to see over a ridge I rotate the scope in it's ring so the eye piece is at 90 degrees or lower. Most of the time I seem to be looking up with it.

Thought it would be easier to just copy and paste my responce to an angled vs straight question posted in November. Hence the red from my search to find my previous responce.

I went with an angled when I purchased by Pentax two years ago. I think its more comfortable to use when glassing flatter ground or up hill. I can sit on a three legged folding camp stool and glass for moose with just a slight forward head tilt.

I like to pack as light of a tripod as possible. The angled allows me to pack a smaller tripod and sit on my knees or indian style and not have to cock your head sideways to get down to see through a straight spotter. With a straight you need a taller tripod to get the scope into a comfortable position.

When glassing down hill you simple roll the angled spotter to the side. This lets you stay in a comfortable position. The only down side is that it takes a bit longer to acquire that point of interest. After a trip or two you get used to it though and will acquire these points faster, though still not quite as fast as with a straight spotter looking down hill.

I've found I'm just as fast at acquiring points from a slight down hill up to the top of the mountain with the angled spotter as I am a straight.

thanks fellas'...I think I prefer the angled too...I really haven't a clue but I'm going that route...

now to decide which one in the $600 range...uggh...
    pull my finger....

Default Pentax 65 ED

$600 range should get you into a Pentax 65 ED!

I would put the 65 ED as the best spotter in this price range and know others on the forum give them a very high rating as well. I purchased mine two years ago from Cameraland for around $600. Not sure what the price is right know but they usually run good deals in the spring on Demo items after the NRA and SCI types shows are over. I've purchased three different Demo items from Cameraland and all looked like they had never been out of the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    $600 range should get you into a Pentax 65 ED!
    I went and took a look at them...I don't know much about spotters but I'm sure it'll do the job nicely...if it comes highly recommended that's good enough for me...lol...i just want waterproof/fog proof and a decent image...

I read a bit about the fixed eyepiece and the variable eyepiece...do you buy the eyepiece seperately?...
    pull my finger....

You can buy the Pentax 65ED with the eye piece. The eye piece that usually comes with the spotter if purchased this way is the variable power 20x-60x. Its a good eye piece but not outstanding. You can also buy the spotter without the eye piece and choose an eye piece that fits your use. There are a number of companies making eye pieces that fit the Pentax so don't think you have to buy strictly Pentax brand.

Snyd did a couple good write ups about eye piece options for the Pentax. He also found a way to change out an O'ring and get better focus on the standard 20-60. Type in Pentax in the Outdoor Optics search box and you should be able to find them. Its really good information.

I started with a straight and got sick of constantly having a crick in my neck from trying to look through it even when laying on my chest. When I purchased my second one I decided I had to have an angled one and have not regretted it one bit!