Thread: Savage 340 .30-30 Feeding Problem

Default Savage 340 .30-30 Feeding Problem

My nephew in Colorado has a super clean Savage 340 in .30-30 caliber that jams almost all the time when feeding from the removeable magazine. I took it apart, and nothing changed with the stock removed. I looked on the internet quite a while, and the only thing I found was possibly a magazine replacement from Brownells. Apparently it cured some rifles, and didn't cure others.

The design of the rifle makes perfect cartridge location necessary, since the chamber end of the barrel is tapered to a sharp edge (the o.d. gets larger going forward). There is no feed ramp, so the bullet must be pointed dead center at the chamber or it hangs on the sharp edge. Apparently, that was an economical way to create relief for the extractor(s) when the bolt is closing.

Before we make the $40 gamble for a new magazine, do any of you have experience with this one?

Thanks,
    Jim

Default TRY

I would first try the Hornaday LEVERevolution ammo; if that solves the problem you could start loading Nosler BTs for this rifle . It's sharper point might solve the misalignment problem, and increase the down range ballistics a little at the same time. If that doesn't work try borrowing a magazine from a friend and see if that fixes your problem; IF it does the magazine purchase might be in order.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    My nephew in Colorado has a super clean Savage 340 in .30-30 caliber that jams almost all the time when feeding from the removeable magazine. I took it apart, and nothing changed with the stock removed. I looked on the internet quite a while, and the only thing I found was possibly a magazine replacement from Brownells. Apparently it cured some rifles, and didn't cure others.

The design of the rifle makes perfect cartridge location necessary, since the chamber end of the barrel is tapered to a sharp edge (the o.d. gets larger going forward). There is no feed ramp, so the bullet must be pointed dead center at the chamber or it hangs on the sharp edge. Apparently, that was an economical way to create relief for the extractor(s) when the bolt is closing.

Before we make the $40 gamble for a new magazine, do any of you have experience with this one?

Thanks,
    Jim
    It's been a LONG time since I owned a 340, but here goes. I experienced something similar, but in fact it wasn't the shape of the magazine lips as I first expected. Before monkeying with those, I thankfully tried stretching the spring under the magzine follower. I can't even remember how I took the magazine apart enough to get to the spring, but it turned out that lack of spring tension was the problem rather than a misshaped lip. Also it always helped once the magazine was loaded to slap the back of the magazine against the palm of your hand to make sure that the rounds were all back as far as they would go.

Sorry I can't help you get to the magazine spring to stretch it, but 40 years is a long time for details. But it's sure an easy fix to try.

Default Great Ideas--Thanks for the feedback.

I took the magazine apart--it was tricky at first, but not bad once I figured out how to do it. You just tilt the follower sharply down on one end and then it can be moved past the retaining lips on the case.

The Lever Evolution ammo might do the trick, too, but it seemed to be hanging up on the shoulder of the cartridge more than the tip of the bullet.

I'll suggest these ideas to Shawn, and let you know how it shakes out. Thanks again for the feedback.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Default Same gun

I have the same gun built by Savage in a Coast to Coast 843 3ds. I have it up for sale in Fairbanks now. If you are local, you can take a look at mine if you think it might help. I have never shot this gun so not sure if it has the same problem or not. Just shoot me a pm if you want to get together.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a similar rifle (Stevens 325) and know exactly what your talking about here……

A couple things you need to check out before you go crazy. You will note that the trigger guard / bottom metal is what actually holds the magazine in place and the stock only has a hole to provide clearance for the magazine. There is also that “tang” thing in there kind of acting like a spring deal and the magazine catch. What I am getting at here with my crappy description, is that if the action / barrel assy is loose in the stock, or if the trigger guard / bottom metal is loose in the stock, or bent (mine is just stamped metal) it will still hold the magazine securely but it will not be perfectly aligned with the barrel. So first off, verify that the barrel and action are secure in the stock. Then make sure the bottom metal is not bent or loose and try it out. Chances are pretty good that one of those two things are your problem.

Now if that doesn’t work, you can try taking the guts out of the magazine again. Clean it really well and polish up the inside the best you can and reassemble. Sometimes the inside of the magazine will get all mucked up or gummy and the top cartridge will not follow those stamped in ridges on the sides of the magazine very well. This makes the cartridge sit more flat in the magazine instead of pointing up towards the chamber like it should. Also check for any obvious dents or dings in the magazine, as it doesn’t take much to throw it out of whack and cause feeding problems like you are dealing with.

The “pointy” bullet suggestion seems good on the face of it, but you will find that Savage / Stevens for what ever reason did not provide enough magazine length to allow for the use of spitzers. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to load 150 gr spitzers but in order for them to feed you have to have them stuffed so far down into the case that the crimp is actually quite a ways up on the ogive of the bullet and you end up with limited case capacity and therefore give up any real ballistic advantage you would have gained by a more streamlined bullet to a loss of velocity………

But like you said, pointy bullet or flat nose, it don’t really matter unless it is perfectly lined up with that tapered cone on the end of the chamber, its still going to hang up on the edge of the case.

Hope this helps……. But if not, send me a PM and I will go out to the garage and do some experimenting with the old Stevens and see what I can come up with.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

One more thing to check…….

Does it make a difference with a partially filled magazine? Try it with just one or two cartridges in the magazine and see how it does. If it still jams all the time, then it is more likely than not, a problem with the bottom metal. Make sure it hasn’t been “tweeked” down away from the stock as this can happen when you have one jam up and then put a bunch of force on the bolt. The hung up cartridge acts like a lever and pushed down the magazine which cant go anywhere so the bottom metal bends down a bit and from then on, the magazine sits lower than it should and the cartridges jam into the chamber cone………
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Thanks for the help!

I appreciate all the help, folks. I am not sure Shawn is gunsmith enough to work this out, but I will pass the info along to him and see if we can do it by email and phone. These are real good thoughts!
    Best Regards,
    Jim

Default 340

i have the same gun and had the same problem, 2 minutes with my leatherman fixed the problem, mine was the lips on the mag. i adjusted them slightly until it fed properly. also check to see if you have the correct mag. when i was having problems i looked on the web and found a site that said some models like the 342 vs 340 the mags were a little different and mixing them could cause problems.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hmmm

I’m glad to see this subject brought up. It caused me to delve into my own situation.

I have a 340 chambered for 222 Rem. I have been having problems feeding the first cartridge (when I load 4 rounds in the magazine.)

I load only 3 rounds in the magazine, because if I jam 4 in, I have problems, then I hafta readjust the magazine lips to make it feed all rounds properly. I’m thinking that 3 is all it’s spose to hold. 4 seems to put too much pressure causing the lips to bend, and stay that way.

The magazine lips need to hold the cartridges just so, where the back is high enough for the bolt to catch onto them, and the front is slightly up so the bullet goes into the chamber, yet holding it all along the back of the case, so it doesn’t toggle like a teeter totter.

I checked the trigger guard/bottom metal, like Alangaq said, and it’s tight and close to the stock. Also, made sure the magazine was clean, and the follower free to move. I took it apart and wiped it out with a patch that had Kroil on it, to both clean and serve to lube it.

I’mma Smith but Notta GunSmith.

Thanks All
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

Mine is also much happier with 3 in the magazine rather than 4…….. It will work and feed most of the time with 4, but with just 3, it works perfectly all of the time.

I think it is important to remember that these were rather “low end” inexpensive guns to begin with, and expecting the kind of reliability and function that we are accustomed to with our model 70’s, 700’s and the modern Savage bolt guns may be asking more than these old guns can ever deliver………

Being that these guns were never the offspring of battle tested rifles or even “dumbed down” versions of previously successful sporting arms, but rather parents to the line of rifles that was eventually modified and altered over the years into a fine firearm, some inherent problems with their archaic design should probably be expected from time to time. That said, they are affordable and fun little guns that do a great job most of the time!

I know that I sure like mine!

Here is a picture of my little 325 Stevens in 30-30. Note the decelerator pad added to tame the fierce and brutal recoil of such a potent cartridge…….
    Attached Images Attached Images

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Smitty,

Mine is also much happier with 3 in the magazine rather than 4…….. It will work and feed most of the time with 4, but with just 3, it works perfectly all of the time.

I think it is important to remember that these were rather “low end” inexpensive guns to begin with, and expecting the kind of reliability and function that we are accustomed to with our model 70’s, 700’s and the modern Savage bolt guns may be asking more than these old guns can ever deliver………

Being that these guns were never the offspring of battle tested rifles or even “dumbed down” versions of previously successful sporting arms, but rather parents to the line of rifles that was eventually modified and altered over the years into a fine firearm, some inherent problems with their archaic design should probably be expected from time to time. That said, they are affordable and fun little guns that do a great job most of the time!

I know that I sure like mine!
    I'm sure you're right. They are, what they are.

I'd like mine better if it was a 30-30, stead of a 222.

It's gotten a trigger job, and a Weaver Side Mount for the scope. The drawback is the stock has been cracked and repaired.

After, looking in the Numrich catalog, I've concluded that the magazine should hold 4 rounds, but I'll stick with 3

I saw one like yours at a gun show a while back. It was in horrible shape, and when they took the tie wrap off for me, the bolt didn't even work. I didn't buy it. Maybe, it's the one you got and fixed up. If so, you did good.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

No Smitty,…… I actually picked this one up a couple of years ago from that nice old guy that owned the Turpin Gun Store. I always tried to stop in there a few times a year and keep some cash flow going for that guy, but it was rare that he had anything that I really needed….. But one day I saw this thing sitting in his rack and it looked brand new! And he was only asking $150 for it so it brought it home to make it a boys rifle. When I went to clean the barrel it only had old varnished oil in the barrel…….. NO copper, NO lead, NOTHING?????? I honestly don’t think it had EVER been fired! There were no wear marks on the bolt or anything…… pretty weird for a rifle made in the 50’s!

I ended up thinning the blocky stock by nearly 3/8” on the forearm, bedding the barrel and action and refinishing it with tongue oil (I am not a fan of stain, even on cheap birch, so I left it alone) and then had Andy put a nice recoil pad on it.

It actually shoots really well. Eventually I will cough up the $80 for a Lyman peep sight as the rear sight is rather crude.

With that decelerator pad installed, it is just about the perfect gun for teaching recoil sensitive shooters. You could literally shoot it all day in a t-shirt and never get sore.

Midnightsunfun,

Did your Nephew ever get his to feed correctly?