Thread: Flintlock rabbit

Default Flintlock rabbit

Well getting pretty boring on here without some pics. Got this new flintlock .54 smooth bore in the mail yesterday and had to try her out. When loaded with shot this becomes about a 28 guage shotgun.

Now I have never shot a flint muzzleloader till today. My first shot through this gun and flint lock was today at a rabbit. I missed. Got the second one though. I missed an easy 3rd shot. Shot right over that sucker.

Quite a different feel, follow through is an absolute must.

Found these sheds too. He might be legal next year if he gets another brow.

Default Rabbit Fun

Looks like a great time. Were you on the flats? Hope he grows the tine by next year!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well getting pretty boring on here without some pics. Got this new flintlock .54 smooth bore in the mail yesterday and had to try her out. When loaded with shot this becomes about a 28 guage shotgun.

Now I have never shot a flint muzzleloader till today. My first shot through this gun and flint lock was today at a rabbit. I missed. Got the second one though. I missed an easy 3rd shot. Shot right over that sucker.

Quite a different feel, follow through is an absolute must.

Found these sheds too. He might be legal next year if he gets another brow.
    Looks like a good time Matt!

Keep us posted as you get acquainted with the new gun. I'm not sure what you're using for a load, but in my experience with 12 gauge, components and charges can have a huge impact on pattern. TOW has fiber wads and overshot cards in 54. Hard shot is going to pattern much better than soft, though it's hard to find. Best was probably Winchester Lubaloy copper, but the copper plate you can find today is awfully thin and the shot is softer than I think it should be. Nickel plate is probably the best you can get now. In general, lower velocities than we think of for shotshells (1000-1100 fps rather than 1200-1300 fps) almost always pattern better while killing well. I'm also aware that folks frequently use larger shot charges in the small bores than might be "normal" for shotshells. I know of a couple who use 3/4 oz or even 1 oz in a 54, rather than the 5/8 we consider normal in a 28 shotshell. I never experimented with heavy shot charges in my 12 because standard 1-1 1/4 oz loads met my needs.

your right on with your assesment there BrownBear. I used a modest charge of 70 grains but a full ounce of #6 lead shot. Through a few PM's over at the traditional muzzloader forum, I determined that two felt wads for over poweder was all that was needed. produces a nice pattern at 20 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt-Rush View Post
    Looks like a great time. Were you on the flats? Hope he grows the tine by next year!
    I was at a secret spot. Dont go chasing my little moose around next year!

Good job Matt. Always thought it would be cool to hunt with a muzzleload scattergun.