Thread: Sako 85 finnlight not being imported in .300 win mag

Default Sako 85 finnlight not being imported in .300 win mag

Has anyone heard that Berreta is not importing the Sako 85 Finnlight in .300 win mag but only in .300 WSM instead? I've been told this by a couple of different gun dealers recently. I had my heart set on one in .300 win mag caliber but I can't find one anywhere and I've looked alot! I'm not saying the WSM is not a good caliber but I'm old school and the .300 win mag caliber has been around for a long time and I like it! If this is true I feel its very poor customer service on Berreta's part. I've found a 75 finnlight in .300 win mag and I'm serously considering buying it as I like the Monte Carlo stock better than the straight stock on the 85.

Default Sako 75

I have a Sako 75 Finnlight (in 270 WSM) and I love it, especially the fit of the stock. But its also a great shooter.

Forestar,
    I ended up buying a 75 Finnlight as well as I like it very much. I've yet to shoot it but I'm sure it will do well.

Default Accurate

I had some unpleasant experiences early-on with copper fouling, but once I got it cleaned out, I was shooting MOA or less consistently again. I was doing a little load development last summer and put 4 shots into 7/8" at 200 yds -- my lifetime best, and this is a production hunting rifle, not a target rifle. Scope is a Leupold Vari-X III, 4-14x AO in Warne QD mounts.

Forestar,
    What sequence did you use for seasoning your barrel? This is my first rifle with a sporter barrel and I assume I could use the same sequence as a used with my sendero .300 win mag. Also, what do you feel is the best solvent for removing copper fouling? I've always been a fan of shooters choice but I'm always open for suggestions for something better.

Recommend check the archives for prior similar discussions. Shooters Choice is not a very aggressive copper remover - there are better - I have tried many and to date have been impressed with Wipe Out.
    http://www.paulcousa.com/wipeout.htm

Default Barrel Break-in and Copper remover

I can't really speak to proper barrel break-in procedures. I thinks that's a fairly heavily debated topic, ranging from NO special procedures to elaborate shoot-1-clean, shoot-2-clean, shoot-3-clean, ad naseum. Maybe Murphy would would care to chime in (or perhaps he already has; check the archives). I'm of the minimalist bent myself.

As far as copper removal solutions, I tried several brands and I got the best results with Sweet's 7.62 Bore Cleaner. It takes fairly concentrated ammonia to remove heavy copper fouling, and Sweet's did it for me (I think its about 5% ammonia). But don't overdo it and don't leave it sit in the bore for an extended period. Follow directions. Just push a wet patch through the barrel, leave it for up to 60 minutes, and push a few dry patches though. If you're getting green or blue color on the patch, you have copper. Repeat the procedure until the patches come out without any color, then run the recommended neutralizer through the bore. I did this over a period of several days.

More recently I've been using Wipe Out (available at SW), and have been pleased with the results.

Good luck & good shootin'.

Default Sako 85 Finnlight redesigned

Looks like I am not the only one who is looking for a Sako 85 finnlight .300 win mag. For various reasons I am not interested in the WSM. I have been waiting for 7 months for one to come Stateside with money deposited at my dealer. Looks like Sako has not imported any of the long action rifles for a while. I have had numerous promises of "should have it by the end of the month" for many months now. It's certainly not my dealer's fault. I just got new word yesterday that Sako will not import the long actions until May of '09. I've waited this long, whats 5 more months.... assuming that it even gets here by then.

The word through my dealer from Berretta is that they are going back to the Sako 75 Monte Carlo style stock with the new rifles... which might be appealing to you.

Maybe try here:

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/p...tail&_ID=14569

I want the same gun in 7mmRM