Thread: Asking Opinions on the Hunting Regs

Default Asking Opinions on the Hunting Regs

Haven't posted here before, but after being a viewer for a couple of years, I respect the opinion of those that do. My question is, does anyone feel that the hunting regulations have become too complicated in some game units? And if so, why does it seem to be in specific units? Some examples would be Unit 20 moose. I counted 60 different listed moose hunts in this years regulations for unit 20. Unit 20A's moose registration hunt RM764 this year has new zones layered over top of controlled use areas with their own regulations. It has it's own "archery only" zone and different bag limtis and season openers for each zone. All within the established 20A subunit. What about units 17 & 24? Unit 14C moose and small game? So, is there such a thing as regulations that are too complicated, and how close are we to this in some units?

Default complications

Buck,
    Indeed the regulations are complicated. I would suggest you attend a few of your local F & G Advisory Committee meetings to see why the regulations are as complicated as they are. There is a lot of pressure to provide hunting opportunity yet protect the resource. Many citizens attend with a request for some special regulation in their area that would complicate regs even more.

The antlerless moose hunt in 20A is divided into subunits in order to achieve the desirable harvest of cows in accordance with population surveys. To harvest the entire quota from the most accessible area would be counterproductive.

I believe the special archery area in 20A is a safety consideration for reducing moose numbers in a residential area.

In a nutshell, BOG and local Advisory Committees agonize for hours and days over many of the regulations and would love to provide simple blanket regs but Alaska has very diverse habitat and game populations with varying accessibility and federal and state subsistence requirements. The number of hunters in Alaska is growing and those hunters want hunting opportunity which often requires niche hunts that are designed to achieve some biological goal.

Ya you really have to read them carefully and be sure of your location. I was in Tok one time for business and was going to road hunt fro moose back to Fairbanks. I was pretty sure of the regs but saw a couple F&G Troopers at Fast Eddies in Tok. So I asked a couple questions to confirm my interpretaition of the regs. The trooper then said "Once you get to the Johnson River just put your'e gun away. It's pretty confusing after that"

I agree they are complex but like VernAK said there are a lot of things to consider when they make the regs. Probably no easy solution.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Talking Regs

Buck:
    I hear ya.. I have been hunting up here my whole life and still find the regs very complex. This week I was talking to a coworker who informed me of different moose season dates in a unit he was hunting and I was surprised. And this Fall, I had to correct my hunting partner on a moose he saw while we were caribou hunting as the unit wasnt open yet and it didnt meet the size limit in that unit. He had no idea as he has been hunting up here his whole life and assumed the regs were the same as before. Sometimes you can miss out on hunts also if a new one opens up you dont know about. The only solution is to study them every year as they change. Fish and game really needs a class to educate hunters as the regulations become more complex. You also have to talk to fish and game about any questions you have. They have faxed me highlighted maps of boundaries when I told them of my confusion. One of the biggest benefits of this forum is keeping us updated about regulations, changes and hunting opportunities. Despite the forums new restrictions on talking about individuals, I hope we keep talking about violations in general as it keeps all of us current on regs and problems to avoid. The good news is you can still lift the hunting regulations manual with one hand!
    Pete

I think complication is a direct measure of more and more hunters trying to use the same space. Yup, the regs are complicated, but no more than other Western states with lots of hunters elbowing for a shot. Cut the hunters by 90% and I bet you could do the same with the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I think complication is a direct measure of more and more hunters trying to use the same space. Yup, the regs are complicated, but no more than other Western states with lots of hunters elbowing for a shot. Cut the hunters by 90% and I bet you could do the same with the regs.
    If that's the case then F&G is really screwed up. I thought they were supposed to manage wildlife not hunters. I see there being a difference. I guess one could say that they manage wildlife by managing hunters. Which is done by special draw, registration hunts etc. Then again one could argue that some hunters are "wildlife" ar ar.....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again