Thread: Looking for a 308 or 7mm M-98 Military barrel

Default Looking for a 308 or 7mm M-98 Military barrel

I have a VZ24 in 7x57mm that has a very worn out barrel. .288 grooves and .282 lands.
    I am hoping somebody has another military barrel I can install in 7x57mm or 308.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

May I offer an alternative suggestion? Midway has short chambered, pre-threaded Adams and Bennett barrels that will fit your VZ. you can pick nearly any cal and the cost of installing one of this will be very similar to head spacing a military barrel. I have several of these barrels and they are reason both for price and accuracy. I have a 243 that I put on from a blank that is very nearly the most accurate rifle I own. You may get a barrel like that. Good luck. J.

Brownells sells the stepped military barrels short chmbered in 308

Default Rebarrel

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have a VZ24 in 7x57mm that has a very worn out barrel. .288 grooves and .282 lands.
    I am hoping somebody has another military barrel I can install in 7x57mm or 308.
    FP; The VZ 24 and its yugo offspring are not a standard 98 barrel. The bolt is built different and so is the extractor, which requires a mod to the barrel.
    Also everyone I've talked to has had feeding problems with a short 51mm case in the yugo. I would suggest a replacement barrel for the VZ series of rifles based on a 57mm case. The VZ is also what is known as an intermediate action so standard 98 stocks may require some modification and standard long action rounds like 30-06 will be too long to fit in the mag.

Good luck with your project !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    FP; The VZ 24 and its yugo offspring are not a standard 98 barrel. The bolt is built different and so is the extractor, which requires a mod to the barrel.
    Also everyone I've talked to has had feeding problems with a short 51mm case in the yugo. I would suggest a replacement barrel for the VZ series of rifles based on a 57mm case. The VZ is also what is known as an intermediate action so standard 98 stocks may require some modification and standard long action rounds like 30-06 will be too long to fit in the mag.

Good luck with your project !!
    Sorry; I got the Cech VZ 24 and the Yugo 24 mixed up. The VZ is a 98 offspring and 98 parts should fit.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The Vz24 is just a Czech licensed M98 large ring Mauser.

This particular rifle is one of 15,000 that were originally scheduled to be finished in 7.92x57mm for the Southern Chinese Army in 1929-1930.
    However, VZ (Bruno) figured out that the Chinese could not pay for the run of rifles.
    So they went looking for a new buyer. They found one with a group of rebels in Sao Paulo Brazil who were having a nice little revolt against their dictator, (called the Constitutional Revolution).

So the rifles were barreled in 7x57mm and shipped. They were actually Vz24 JC light weight models.

Unfortunately the revolutionaries lost there short war and the rifles were impounded by the Brazilian government. Thus the Brazilians ened up with rifles without the normal Brazilian crest on the receiver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com