Thread: Need Snowshoe Help!

Question Need Snowshoe Help!

Well...I started out with and still walk on the old wooden leather-bonded snowshoes and while they still create some pretty fancy footwork art, they are not the best for adventure snowshoeing, are a little heavy, and are a bit bulky to carry around.

Coral and I are on the hunt for the best "all-around" snowshoes out there. We will be using them mostly for hiking, rabbit hunting and the like.

I honestly don't know the first thing about them, so any and all information will help. What should I look for? Any brands, style or makes that are better than the others?

All opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Josh & Coral

Josh - Take a look at Sierra Trading Post's website. They've got a pretty good sale going on snowshoes right now.

Personally, I use the Tubbs Altitute Series snowshoes, though it looks like the Elevation Series would be nice as well. What I like about the Tubbs as opposed to the other brands is their binding system - really easy to use and lightweight. Also, the cleats on the bottom are really nice for climbing up icy slopes if you ever find the need.

As for size, I'm 180 lbs and use the 30" size. In all honesty, I sometimes find myself wanting the 36" size when the snow is light and deep, though usually I'm happy with what I have.

Take a look around their site and compare the different models. I like the Tubbs, but there are plenty of good ones out there.

-Brian

www.sierratradingpost.com

I'm partial to the Atlas snowshoes, spendy but worth it IMO. I've had mine for about 10 years now and they still work great. The bindings are easy to adjust and keep you clamped in.

Atlas bindings allow your lower legs to remain vertical even if you're side-hilling. That's a feature that I didn't pay attention to when I replaced my Tubbs shoes with Atlas shoes, but I've appreciated it ever since. My knees are much happier and I have an easier time maintaining my balance.

I have no bad comments about Tubbs, I just prefer Atlas bindings.

Default Atlas

I have a pair of 36" Atlas shoes. Don't know what the model is, but I bought them 8 1/2 years ago and they're great. Quick release/ratchet bindings and can climb and sidehill with ease. I got the 3 footers because the snow in the interior is sugar and need as much floatation as possible. Something to keep in mind for Fairbanks.

Default Size/Model??

Thanks Fellas

I like the look of the Atlas, especially their binding system. I think I will be on the lookout for a pair while shopping so I can see them and feel and try them on. I weigh in around 150, what size/model do you suggest?

Remember that snowshoes are rated for total weight on the shoes, not for how much you weigh butt-naked on the scale at home. Boots, clothes, and a pack count, too..

I'm guessing a 30" shoe will suit you for general use. If you're carrying a pack, etc. and are always off trail then a 36" might help keep you on top. Poles with snow baskets can help alot, too.

Really look at the the women's specific models for Coral. The shape of the shoe and the binding placement are different, and much more comfortable. Tubbs makes a few women's models.

And get good gaiters for both of you.
    Drink indigenous.

Default add it...

Good points on the "overall weight" and I hadn't even given a thought to gaitors...add it to the liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis ssssssssssssttttttt. Guess I'll have to work a few more hours!

Thanks fellas

Question I am looking for shoes also

Hello all, I have been folowing this Post and have a few questions for you all. I weigh 225#, then add my pack and clothing. So what size snow shoe should I look for? And what are gaitors?? Thanks for the help.
    Mark

In regards to the fitting of the shoe in relation to footwear...are there any certain boots you need to strap them on or will sorels, bunny boots n such fit the bindings?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

pilot - I'd look at a 36" snowshoe. I wear 30", and I am 180#. As for gaitors, they are small pieces of fabric that go over the cuff of your boot to keep snow, dirt, rocks, etc. from getting into your boot. Not necessary, but nice to have. I use mine more in the summer than winter, though. Never bother with them when snowshoeing.

TWB - Most any boot will work for snowshoeing. Bunny boots might be tough to fit into most bindings, but sorels shoudl fit fine.

-Brian

scratch the sorels, they are lacrosse iceman boots. and just as big as my bunny's lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

They might still fit. Just bring your boots with you to the shop and try on different pairs. Most bindings are made to accomodate large winter boots, so you should be fine.

-Brian

Thumbs up snowshoes...lite is right....

I've been using aluminum snowshoes for almost 30 years...originally Sherpas...but about 7 years ago I came across NORTHERNLITES...

They are made with a lighter, tougher grade of aircraft alum (2023T7), that saves over a pound+ per pair and are stronger than the others (6063 or 6061T6)...and, believe me, the old adage - a pound on the feet is equivalent to 5# on the back - is never more true than with snowshoes....I now own 4 pairs of Northernlites and haven't seen their equal.

On the very light powder snow I've experienced on the North Slope, I liked the old standard Alaskan Trail shoes (10 X 55)...you must be careful - no bridging, etc - but they were great for moving quickly ... almost across the top of the snow - a lot of fun....they look great on the wall too...aahhh, nostalgia.

Talking Atlas snowshoes.

Just wanted to let everyone know I finally bought a pair of Altas 1236 snowshoes. I found them on ebay, and walked away with them for $120.00. I think that is a good price, as I have seen them new for $200 plus. Anyway, thanks for all the help and information. If anyone is still looking for snowshoes, check out ebay, they have some left. Thanks again.
    Mark

Default Bigfoot

I use the Sherpa bigfoot I have two pairs of them and I have never had a problem with them. They both have good cleats and the bindings are fine also.

Default Just picked up several

Keep an eye out on ebay and Craigslist. I just picked up a pair of 36" Tubbs for myself along with two sets of 25" and 20" redfeathers for my wife and son, and two pair of adjustable REI poles for less than $200. Now just have to find one more pair for my daughter and we will be set!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page