Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: under gunned??

Default under gunned??

I would like to know what the consensus is on the 30-06 for an all around gun up in Alaska. It has served me well down here in the lower 48, but need to know if that is ok for bear and moose up there.

Should I step up to a 300 mag or a 338? I have 25 years hunting down here. Predators to elk and everything in between. I DO NOT have experience with moose or grizzley.

Any and all advice is greatly appriciated.

Get yourself an 88 magnum "It shoots through schools"

In all seriousness though we have TONS on this subject in the Archives that you can weed through. If you click on the search tab at the top of the page and select advanced search you can do a site specific google search.

I did one for "30'06" and you can see the results HERE

Welcome to the site!

Default rifle choice

the .30-06 is fine for moose, but I wouldn't go looking for grizzly without less than a .300wm. Get ready for a barrage of answers. Personally, I use a .338wm

Default skill level

For me, it's not so much a question of being under gunned. It's more about being under skilled and then try to compensate for it by being over gunned. That's where some real problems can rear their ugly heads. One will never be under gunned if they're over skilled and only you can determine if you're undergunned. Other's can recommend, based on their experience and skill level. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Under gunned?

Hers is my view on the subject:
    A 30-06 will certainly kill everything in Alaska (Alaska Wolf Man certainly did).
    But! If every shot was at 100 yards with clear visibility all around and you never had to go into the bush after a wounded animal, than the 30-06 would certainly do the job. Problem is u can get into bear problems in thick alders, where you see the bear for the 1st time about 6 ft from the end of your barrel. That's when you want a Big Bullet with lots on knock down power.
    I usually shoot a .300 wby and as long as I am hunting alpines and tundra, I am perfectly happy. The closer I get to the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak, the more inclined I am to reach into the gun safe and un-limber my 340 wby or if strictly hunting Brown Bears, my .375 ultra mag.
    I have hunted here a long time and I occasionally set down my .300 wby for a Bigger Gun and Thatís All I Have To Say About That. J

The .30-06 will work fine. Especially if that is the gun you are familiar with. It is one of the more popular Moose hunting riffels around.
    So I would say you don't need to get some thing bigger. Now you will find there is a lot of people with a lot of different oppinions.

Your good to go with your aught-six klickitat! If you find yourself with some extra cash the aught-six pair's very nicely with the 375 H&H

If going with the 30-06 use the best bullets and if your gun will shoot 220 grain good use it. The 30-06 will do and has for years. A Ford F150 will get get the job done as a working truck but at times the F250 does it easier.Your 06 covers the 30cals so if you move up go to a bigger cal,338 etc.Going mag 30 cal is like putting bigger tires on the F150,its still a F150

Your .30-06 will work fine. Magnumitus occurs more commonly within the gravitational influences of skAnchorage.
    Now what ?

The first ten years I lived here I hunted big game w/ an 06. kills bears and moose just fine.As long as you get good bullets and can hit where you intend, the 06 is great. My son uses it now, I went to a 300 wby for most big game now only for the improved range if needed.

sorry for not using the search function. I should have done that first. Any how, thanks for the input.

Someone should come up with an over and under .06 & 375 gun. Plan "A", shoot the big bear with the .06 and see if it works... Plan B, shoot the 375 if Plan "A" doesn't work

It's just silly to suggest that an '06 bullet may not work, but suddenly that same bullet out of another 30 cal ( your choice: 300WM, 300 wtby, 300 RUM, others...) is wonderful!

If an '06 won't work (but it will do fine, BTW) you need a W _ I _ D _ E _ R boolit, not a faster one.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Your .30-06 will work fine. Magnumitus occurs more commonly within the gravitational influences of skAnchorage.
    Seriously?.... Not even a smily face? Brutal!

I think Maydog and Bigdog are correct. BTW, if you're hunting with a partner what's he/she shooting? My buddy swears its unethical to pursue brown/grizz with an '06 or even a .444. I shoot my '06 best out of all the rifles I have. If I was hunting a coveted Kodiak brownie tag I'd take my .338 (newer to me, gettin' better with it though).

Tim

Default 30'06

Look at some studies F&G did on Caliber and penetration. The most interesting result where they fired into hide covered silicon filled dummy, and as expected your 458 and 416 showed the greatest pentration and they were closely followed by the good old '06. Seems as if 300,338 etc are too fast for penetration with disinigration of your slug. There are some other studies where they shoot differant calibers into bear skulls with various results. IMO shoot what you know you can hit with for the best results. You can carry any rifle you want but if you can't hit your target it dosen't matter what you carry.

The 06 will do it and has done it in the past. I personally feel undergunned with any bullet weighing less than 220 grains for the big bears. Since I hunt everything with one rifle and one bullet weight, I went with the 338 Win Mag and 225 grain bullets.

30-06 is just fine.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Smile It is good enough....

The 30-06 was used by Charlie Madison and Hosea Sarber. They spent lots of time with Alaska's brown bears and are 2 of Alaska's bear hunting legends. Alaska's Wolf Man, Frank Glaser used the 30-06 as his "heavy rifle". When he was a market hunter he shot hundreds of moose, caribou sheep and bears with calibers smaller then the 30-06. We could spend all day listing well known departed hunters who used the 30-06. With todays bullets and powders it is better then it ever was. With a good 180 or heavier grain bullet it will kill big bears all day long. It is the same as most other calibers we hunters use and by that I mean it works best when we keep our shots under 200 yards. Is it better then the .300, .338 and .375 magnums? Only if you shoot it better. It is enough gun for any thing in North America. Is it the best for all situations? No, no caliber is.

Quote Originally Posted by aknater View Post
    Seriously?.... Not even a smily face? Brutal!
    Sorry.

Now what ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast